Skip to content

Shadowkeeper what is it?

I`ve been looking through the fourms for tips and i keep hearing about this thing called ShadowKeeper What Exactly is ShadowKeeper
lolienRavenslight

Comments

• MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    Exactly what elminster said.

Shadowkeeper was the save game editor for the original version of BG2.
    Gatekeeper was the save game editor for the original BG1.
    EE Keeper is the save game editor for both EE BG games. In other words, If you are playing the EE editions (most likely today) you should use EE Keeper.

It is not impossible to make Shadowkeeper work with BG EE. Some of us managed to do it before EE Keeper came out, but it is hard, it can break your game and it offers nothing more then EE Keeper.
    RavenslightTroodon80JuliusBorisov
  • AdsoAdso Member Posts: 122
    While on this subject, does anyone have a copy of the freeware BG Character viewer? And was it able to view Char files from a non-game director ie if I wanted to view a character file set before distributing it within a games' folders. Thanks!
  • Millerguy74Millerguy74 Member Posts: 44
    Adso said:

While on this subject, does anyone have a copy of the freeware BG Character viewer? And was it able to view Char files from a non-game director ie if I wanted to view a character file set before distributing it within a games' folders.

Um Sadly there isnt one Adso i just looked around on the internet for one but sadly no there isnt one :neutral:

• Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    @Adso I don't recall one. I can add such a feature to Keeper if it is desirable.
    AdsoJuliusBorisov
  • AdsoAdso Member Posts: 122
    edited June 2015
    That would be great. Just something for me to quick view a char file in my download directory after nabbing a zip or rar archive. Then I can more easily choose which to keep and which to toss.

Poking around on Ironworks and other forums (old posts) it looks like the last version was: Baldur's gate II character viewer v1.0.1.8
  • MichailMichail Member Posts: 196
    I vaguely recall using a character viewer at some point, quite a few years ago, before discovering Shadowkeeper. But I am pretty sure it was not freeware. I think it was included with some old version of BG2. It probably wouldn't work correctly with EE though, so it's a moot question.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    edited June 2015
    IIRC there was an alternative viewer for the original BG(1), I may still have it on an old backup but it is pointless because ShadowKeeper and now EEKeeper are much better.
    Not sure about what @Troodon80 meant when he wrote "backwards compatible with the original BG2 for most features." but that is undoubtedly the tool to use if you want to edit a saved game.
    JuliusBorisov