Skip to content

Big Screen Beta

Comments

• begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    Thank you Trent, huge difference and if I want to zoom in I can Zoom in.
  • dracuifydracuify Member Posts: 33
    Hah.

Dunno. My baldur.ini reads: 'Graphics', 'Scale UI', 'o',

• BlaveBlave Member Posts: 39
    Now if only the game wouldn't reset the zoom on every area change :-/
    Blave said:

Now if only the game wouldn't reset the zoom on every area change :-/

Agreed. Waiting for that now :)

• CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @Jaxsbudgie It should be vertical if you are using a text editor other than Notepad.
  • JaxsbudgieJaxsbudgie Member Posts: 600
    Coriander said:

@Jaxsbudgie It should be vertical if you are using a text editor other than Notepad.

Hmmm when I open up BG1 and BG2 baldur.ini files in notepad it's vertical
    I opened it up on Wordpad and got it to work and the resolution looks ... just as bad?
    My resolution is 1920 x 1200 so it's a bit painful to look at, everything is shoved to the top of the screen and incredibly tiny.

• bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited December 2012
    I tried it, I like the default better. In this kind of game I find the more you have to move your mouse the more strenuous the game is.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    is there any chance to make the default more sharp? including icons for spells etc.? or is that a part of limitations of the original assets?

maybe an alternative UI DLC with redesigned clear graphic and buttons?
    edited December 2012
    Nathan said:

Hey folks, the 0 should be a zero. Since it's an integer setting like 1 (on) or 0 (off) that should be the case. If you have it working with an o, well, uh.. that's.. interesting!

As we tried to communicate, this is beta in the sense that basically it's untested. Our UI redesign was made with scaling in mind, so, as a result there will be more than a few screens that will look weird, and there may be a few that are outright busted by this change.

If this is something people are interested in, we can look at making something like this work better going forward.

Yeah that's what i gathered, i just happened to change it to o from 0 and...it works.

Here's a link for it: http://imgur.com/NnQvK

I apologize for the quality, but it reads 'o'

EDIT: Yeah i understood it should be 0 and that's what i'm going to tell from now on, i just got confused :)

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Very strange - first time I tried zero, there was no effect to the UI and the game re-wrote the baldur.ini leaving empty quotes and commas, etc. Then I put the "o" in and it worked. Just changed it back to zero, and it is still working.

Given the flame war that went on in the PC support forum, and the general reaction here, it looks like it should be a configurable option.
  • hummer010hummer010 Member Posts: 95
    Me Likey!

I never really cared about the big buttons - I'm too busy looking at the main screen to care about the buttons, but I did feel that I wanted to zoom out just a bit more than the max zoom out. Now with this change, the default zoom level feels about right, so I don't really care about the zoom reset anymore either.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    @Nathan I still think higher-res elements would be better overall, although I do like the "widescreen mod" look with the upscaling turned off. Any chance it could be made an option in the Graphics Options menu?
  • Blakes7Blakes7 Member Posts: 83
    Worked for me; now if beamdog can get it working more like ghostdogs ui tweak with scalable fonts etc that would be cool.
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    Nathan said:

Hey folks, the 0 should be a zero. Since it's an integer setting like 1 (on) or 0 (off) that should be the case. If you have it working with an o, well, uh.. that's.. interesting!

As we tried to communicate, this is beta in the sense that basically it's untested. Our UI redesign was made with scaling in mind, so, as a result there will be more than a few screens that will look weird, and there may be a few that are outright busted by this change.

If this is something people are interested in, we can look at making something like this work better going forward.

I used o and not 0 and it worked out fine for me but I also copied the baldur.ini file to the 00766 folder so not sure if that had any impact on it.
  • AscerionAscerion Member Posts: 271
    Whoa. Thanks for sharing, this is awesome!
  • HelloteamHelloteam Member Posts: 10
    edited December 2012
    Open Your_Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\Baldur.ini with a proper text editor like http://notepad-plus-plus.org/ (notepad isn't able to read the \newline) - (Alternatively you can use Wordpad)

Add 'Graphics', 'Scale UI', '0', to it like this - http://i.imgur.com/kxjKQ.jpg .
    Post edited by Helloteam on
  • joshykinsjoshykins Member Posts: 95
    Woa! Nice!! Thanks Trent!
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    Hmm odd that 'o' is working but '0' is not....tried some different setting as of integer, but the line got deleted.

[notepad++ is just awesome :P using it for ages now as replacement]
  • BlackIvoryBlackIvory Member Posts: 75
    well....this is gonna take some getting used to...
    Not sure if I like it so zoomed out by I'll give it a try, might just be a matter of getting used to, I DO like how its all so much crisper now.

And for me it worked as well with either 'o' or '0' , ....weird....

The only thing that really bothers me is that now the title menus are all in the upper portion of the screen with a big blank area on the bottom, any one else have that? I have a 23'' screen with 1920x1080 resolution
  • joshykinsjoshykins Member Posts: 95
    @Nathan I think this beta fix is most excellent, this is the kind of little stuff that I believe the PC users were expecting, of course getting rid of the scaling introduces some wonky looking menus but if those could possibly be fixed sometime down the road, and (hopefully) introduced in BG2:EE, it would be a major bonus to PC users.

Looks great on my 23" 1920x1080 monitor.

• spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    edited December 2012
    Wow...how can I not get this to work....

Added the line and tried both 0 and o and nothing has changed. Even edited it so that it was in exactly the same place as Helloteams pic but still nothing. I haven't edited the BG:EE ini files yet but I have done for other games and the old bg extensively and can't imagine what I'm doing wrong...

ps. using notepad ++ and tried wordpad and notepad just incase...

Another edit. I can get the CLUACONSLE working, have saved to desktop deleted the line, saved, retyped(both manually and copy n paste making sure a tab between each and the quotation and commas are in the right place), moved replaced and nothing...taken off read only, checked to make sure my permissions are enabled for the account
    Post edited by spacejaws on
  • MasonguitarMasonguitar Member Posts: 35
    I had to make sure I tabbed once in between each area like 'Graphics', tab 'Scale UI', tab '0', and make sure all the ' and , are in there even at the end
  • MasonguitarMasonguitar Member Posts: 35

well....this is gonna take some getting used to...
    Not sure if I like it so zoomed out by I'll give it a try, might just be a matter of getting used to, I DO like how its all so much crisper now.

And for me it worked as well with either 'o' or '0' , ....weird....

The only thing that really bothers me is that now the title menus are all in the upper portion of the screen with a big blank area on the bottom, any one else have that? I have a 23'' screen with 1920x1080 resolution

I am having the same issue as well. Basically the same setup. It looks a lot better but I have 75% title menus! lol

• DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I think it could be really good if some of the other screens had dynamic elements as well so that they would expand properly; then, with the feature of a zoom lock (already requested) and resizable fonts (also already requested), this could work just dandy.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    Wow, that's quite a difference! Nice!
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @Aosaw we'll definitely do that once we get the feature to a state where it's fit for public consumption, and not just for those who are interested in testing it out - as you can see, there's a few problems with the implementation, even though people like the direction it's going. ;)

@trinit yes, that's something we'll be looking into going forward, proper HD UI assets. I can't make you any promises as to when it will happen, but, we will be looking at it.
  • ImBarryScottImBarryScott Member Posts: 18
    I'm 20/20 and I find it a little too small at 1920x1080, just a little.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited December 2012
    With the big screen setting the zoom really makes the sprites far less pixilated.

Edit: Well, actually perhaps there's not that much difference in the pixilation after all. I guess I need to go back and forth between modes and compare more.
    Post edited by Lemernis on
  • WabbitTwaksWabbitTwaks Member Posts: 54
    @Nathan

I am just happy to see you guys are listening and taking our feedback to heart. That is awesome. Thank you!