Skip to content

Is there a point in pure thief?

ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
Maybe it's just me, but I sort of feel that the thief, without any dual-/multiclassing or kits, is a pretty cruddy character. They have their thief skills, of course, like lockpicking and trapfinding and such, but there's basically no way they won't be improved with any of the other options.

Bounty hunters get all sorts of awesome throwable traps in exchange of few skill points that they'll get fairly enough in the end anyway. Swashbucklers get some cool flynning stuff and just lose backstab, which at least for me never could hit much anything because thieves as they are have pretty bad bonuses to hit, even with the backstab bonus. And assassins are the sneaky evil bastards, who may not have the skill points for lockpicking and trapfinding and other such things, but if you needed those, you'd play any of the other kits. They all have their drawbacks, but the benefits are more than worth it.

Or what if they're not? Just multiclass! Or maybe dual-class from a fighter or into a mage. A fighter/thief gets a whole slew of hit points and proficiencies and can actually hit something, even if he's not stabbing things in the back. A mage/thief opens a whole can of possibilities with spells for practically everything. Sure, the fighter will never be as good at beating things up as a pure fighter, and can't wear heavier armor if he wants to use his thieving abilities, and the mage can't get to his full potential until at the very end of ToB, but what does the thief half lose in any of these cases? Nothing whatsoever.

If you just think of them as a thief with some bonus stuff, instead of a balanced mix-up of two classes, then they're infinitely superior to the pure class. There's precisely one drawback, and that's less experience, but at least in my opinion, this isn't as much of a drawback as you might think: thieves level up fast, and in early game they lag behind less than one entire level from the rest of the party - or equal in level with the mage! Way later, like in ToB, when experience requirements for the next level stop just doubling from the last one, they'll start staying behind the rest of the group a little more, but at this point it doesn't matter anymore at all: once it begins, at level 8 or so, a fighter/thief is already close to as tough (especially with CON of 17 and more, which would allow him the warrior-exclusive HP bonuses) and can hit just as well as a level 16 pure thief (counting only raw abilities and proficiencies: the level 16 thief would probably have a better weapon in his hands by that point), or potentially do more damage with his backstabs if he has percentile strength. Or, a mage/thief could use his thieving skills just as well as a pure thief of several levels higher, because he could just put all his second level spells as Knock or Invisibility, and suddenly have a whole lot of extra thieving skills to put wherever he wants. In either case, even if they stuck as generalists and spread their skill points fairly evenly, they'd by this point start having enough thief skills to put everywhere they need them: a pure thief would have some more, but at this point they start to get almost unnecessary.

So you'll never reach those epic levels, but who cares about those at this point? They will not give you anything of true value anymore, nothing you would need. The only thing you do care about - the high-level abilities - is based on total experience amount instead of levels, so those will come at you precisely as early as they normally would have. It's a foolproof plan.

In case of dual-classes, it becomes a thing with the short term situation versus the long run, and I suppose I'm somewhat biased with this thing because I almost always think in the latter: up to the point where I'm already making plans for the BGEE character I created yesterday, plans that go all the way up to midpoint of BG2 or even beyond. So if you thought about the shorter term, like what's better for you right now, then I guess dual-classing might not be your thing (so multiclass instead: see above). After all, it'd mean you had to take several levels as fighter before becoming the thief you were destined to be, or go without your thieving skills just when they were getting good to learn the basics of wizard. But that never bothered me too much, and in the latter case, by that point of the game you'd get back your thieving skills soon enough anyway: you'd have dualed at around level 12 in the latest, which is when you'd have (or I would at least) all your thieving skills at the sort of levels where they will be pretty much enough even in ToB, and that would be when BG2 started to basically throw experience at you and your mage would catch up to thievery very quickly. In the former case, of course, you'd start up basically useless for all of five minutes, and then you killed off like two mooks and suddenly you're level two and slightly less useless, and it just keeps going from there: even before you get back your fightery things, your thieving skills will have developed well enough that you'll be able to disarm things and pick pockets for a while before you stab stuff again.

The normal single-class non-kitted thief has more levels than any of these guys, and is basically bloating of thieving skills, but very few of those skills are of any worth beyond 100 or so points, his backstab can't hit anything, and his high-level abilities are by now available for all. Hell, the fighter/thief has had most of Use Any Item on him for all of the game, with some extra proficiencies and better attack bonuses that actually allow him to swing that two-handed sword and hit something other than his own face! He got Carsomyr no later than the pure thief, but can use it better.

So, yeah. This is basically why I never roll up just a thief, why I usually pick Montaron over Imoen (or keep both but dual-class her into a mage), and why I have no friends.

Also, for those that haven't played AD&D on tabletop, this issue is even worse there. Because on tabletop, even thieving skills aren't just his anymore: they're not hard-coded into the system, and the other players are definitely going to dispute them sooner or later. "What do you mean only a thief can move silently without the enemy noticing? I have no armor and shoes, and I'm not going to sing With Catlike Tread as I go, you mean the orcs automatically hear me anyway?"

I don't know. I just had too much time to waste and felt like talking about something BG and AD&D related. Go ahead and pitch in if you feel like it. Tell me why you would like to still roll up a pure thief, I'm kind of curious to hear your counterarguments on my tired walls of text.

Comments

• FFGFFG Member Posts: 52
    edited December 2012
    Pure thief has always been hilariously bad in the Baldur's Gate games, you're pretty much always better off with multi-class or dual-class theives, especially in BG2 where the difficulty of locks and traps doesn't increase any substantial amount to the point where a dual-classed Imoen can unlock and disarm just about anything in the game

That said, once you get into TOB, thieves have access to really, really good HLAs
  • The_Guilty_PartyThe_Guilty_Party Member Posts: 44
    I agree, on the whole. Plain Thief is like Plain Cleric. It's there for game purposes to combine with other classes, but for a pure class, it makes no sense to choose.

Also note that Imoen can be dualed to a Mage, so she can be more useful than Montaron.
  • SiddhamSiddham Member Posts: 31
    I like to keep Imoen as a thief. She does all my scouting, trap finding and lockpicking. If I dual her I lose quality thief utility...and I lose my thief for most of the midgame while she levels up. She also makes an excellent archer.
  • sazalandsazaland Member Posts: 25
    It's a very fringe application. To be a pure Thief without kit you must demand backstab AND full Thief point advancement. This would be someone who wants to be able to sneak well and backstab early in the game without compromising their ability to fulfill their thiefly duties of disarming and unlocking, and while being able to pickpocket well and steal in addition.

To this end it might be a good choice for an Ironman run, since you would be unable to reload if you screw up stealth or a pickpocket attempt.
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    @The_Guilty_Party Clerics get new spells every level, and those are actually useful compared to 200 points in Open Locks. Why would you say they are useless? It's possible a dual- or multiclassed Cleric is more powerful than a plain Cleric in the endgame, but how many people actually get there, and how much fun do they have on the way? I find the slower levelling of multiclass characters quite annoying, even though it might not actually have ingame repercussions.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited December 2012
    Classes that rely on intelligence or charisma will never be very strong in baldur's gate ... in a pnp game thieves would have all sorts of skills that other classes wouldn't even dream of.

Well, in any case, have a fighter dual class to thief at any level , so you can have specializations, dual wielding and stuff, so you can be more active in close combat.
    Post edited by DJKajuru on
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192

@The_Guilty_Party Clerics get new spells every level, and those are actually useful compared to 200 points in Open Locks. Why would you say they are useless? It's possible a dual- or multiclassed Cleric is more powerful than a plain Cleric in the endgame, but how many people actually get there, and how much fun do they have on the way? I find the slower levelling of multiclass characters quite annoying, even though it might not actually have ingame repercussions.

I think his point was that there's no reason to not have the cleric kit equivalent to your alignment: all of them have some benefits but zero drawbacks.

So yes, a pure cleric may not be useless, but it is kind of pointless to have.
  • colonel_burgercolonel_burger Member Posts: 279
    Pure thief sucks. Also kit thieves that aren't dualed suck as well. Multi/dualed fighter/thieves or mage/thieves are the way to go.

Kensais dualed to thieves are the best in terms of raw frontline damage.

In terms of utility mod-based adventurer kit thieves dualed to mage or cleric are the best.
  • SiddhamSiddham Member Posts: 31
    I play BG as an rpg...not a hack and slash...so for me it's not all about the frontline.
    Siddham said:

I play BG as an rpg...not a hack and slash...so for me it's not all about the frontline.

Dual or multi as a mage, then. They have plenty of non-combat utilities, and it'd make sense roleplay-wise for your young scoundrel to get interested in magical arts as well. Especially so if he's been feeling he could be more useful to his party, in situations of adventure where everyone must do what they can in order to prevail.
  • NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    Players who know how to use backstab will never say thieves are useless. True, its faster to tell your warriors to attack while drinking coffee. But some ppl like the idea of sneaking with your assassin and backstabing the enemy wizard. Try getting the shadow armor and the dagger of venom, you will notice that you are doing half the dungeons solo with your thief.
  • BlackIvoryBlackIvory Member Posts: 75
    what would you say is a good lvl to start dual-classing Imoen? I am thinking mage but my charname is already a mage and i have neera....more magic IS always welcome.....

Players who know how to use backstab will never say thieves are useless. True, its faster to tell your warriors to attack while drinking coffee. But some ppl like the idea of sneaking with your assassin and backstabing the enemy wizard. Try getting the shadow armor and the dagger of venom, you will notice that you are doing half the dungeons solo with your thief.

Do assassin, then. It does the backstabbing much better than a pure thief.

And with a fighter/thief you might actually hit something.
  • HeliasHelias Member Posts: 112
    Pure thiefs aren't worth much. I see few people using them. But the multi-class thiefs (Montaron and Coran) are very good. So are the dual classes to and from thieves (Imoen and Shar-Teel).

Actually, this goes for the other classes as well. Pure mages and clerics are inferior to the dual class builds. For the thieves it's just more obvious.
  • Magical_TrevorMagical_Trevor Member Posts: 57
    Meh, I like pure thief, because I need all of the points for all of the categories. XD Right now, I'm level 7, and even with boots of stealth and shadow Armor, I still have trouble hiding in the shadows. I don't really have a problem with Imoen, as she can hit with her bow pretty darn often for me, at least. She's my trap detector and stealth unit until I get my main character up to level, where he can not only open locks, but hide, detect traps, etc. Now, in BG II, when I import him, yeah, he's going to turn into a fighter, probably. XD But at least in BG 1 I haven't had any major problems yet. :3
  • seasea Member Posts: 65
    edited December 2012
    Pure thief makes sense in D&D tabletop because non-combat gameplay is significantly more common than in most computer games, and the abilities of a thief (i.e. scaling a wall, infiltrating a location to let others in) are generally more useful when you have a smart DM to handle the scenario.

I do think a pure thief in Baldur's Gate can be effective, due to utility value and the fact that they can still have decent damage output when built as archers. As the game is pretty low-level overall, you can really get away with weaker builds. I have always found dagger-oriented thieves totally useless, though. Maybe if the game had a few more and better non-combat options available, the situation would be different.
    I don't know. I never felt immersed enough to the world of Baldur's Gate as to roleplay. As in, I could get interested of the plot and what was happened to its people, but I never actually felt I was there. That's the first thing I need to feel before I am to do some actual roleplaying.
  • DeucetipherDeucetipher Member Posts: 521
    Is there any class but ranger that doesn't feel sub optimal compared to a kit or multi/dual? There is no reason to take a pure mage (conjurer) or fighter (berserker) Bard (any kit, really) Paladin (Cavalier). All classes have at least one kit that is flat out better than the base class, except the ranger. Ranger kits take away the ranger's inherent flexibility.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    For me, role-playing is always a good point.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    edited December 2012
    Pure thief can be good in BG (even if it's bad at toe-to-toe combat).

Here's my list of options for the high-level pure thief:

1. Backstab. Awesome ability. Great for opening battles, gets stronger as you level up. You need to hit really hit levels to maximize the multiplier (e.g.: Assassin).

2. Set Snares. Devastating ability in BG2 and beyond. Probably better at killing opponents than Backstab. You get these very quickly in the epic game. Bounty hunters get lots of these. Makes power-leveling a snap.

3. Pick pockets. Great for stealing anything and everything. Never worry about GP again. You can really pump points into this (100+). This is a great place to dump your points as level.

4. (Swashbucklers only) Level-dependent bonuses to AC, damage, and to hit. Swashbucklers are decent warriors.

5. Rapid level accumulation will keep the game exciting for you. At least if you're ADD like me.

-Edit: Looks like I missed the boat on this one. I responded as if this were an argument about multi-class versus dual-class thief. It's really about kit vs. kitless. Sorry guys! -
    Post edited by Silence on
  • NecroblivionNecroblivion Member Posts: 210
    Silence said:

2. Set Snares. Devastating ability in BG2 and beyond. Probably better at killing opponents than Backstab. You get these very quickly in the epic game. Bounty hunters get lots of these. Makes power-leveling a snap.

Yes. This is most likely the most powerful ability in the game. The only way I can think about killing Illithids at BG2 is traps.

Also I am using it quite a lot in BGEE. Set a trap, kite your target, win.
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    edited December 2012
    A plain thief is horrible. Every kit is vastly better than a plain thief:

Like traps? Make a bounty hunter.
    Like backstabs? Make an assassin.
    Don't care about backstabbing or traps? Make a swashbuckler.

And for a plain any kit of a thief, all of them are weaker than a fighter / thief multiclass, or kensai / thief dual class.

In terms of dual classing from a thief, the swashbuckler kit is simply far too strong for that purpose compared to the others for the AC, hit, and damage bonuses.

Also if all you want a thief in your party for is to handle traps, dual classing a swashbuckler into a mage or fighter is a much more attractive option.

Silence said:

Yes. This is most likely the most powerful ability in the game. The only way I can think about killing Illithids at BG2 is traps.

Also I am using it quite a lot in BGEE. Set a trap, kite your target, win.
    All of the kits can still set snares, and a bounty hunter can set many more powerful traps.
  • VelkirVelkir Member Posts: 70
    Iv always played pure thief in BG and BG2..pure human thief at that and never had any trouble
    You're still a gimp as a pure thief if you don't pick a kit.
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Non multi/dualled thieves are pretty redundant. You can make good use of trap/UAI cheese but I don't find it a particularly satisfying way to play the game. I suppose though, generally speaking, multiclassing is always rather powerful, and with the other classes being more powerful than the thief it just highlights the difference when you add e.g.mage levels to your thief. It feels a bit like the thief levels are just holding back your magic rather than adding versatility but that's just me. I still play thieves (usually multi, sometimes kitted) more often than any other class.
  • FlauschigFlauschig Member Posts: 84
    edited December 2012
    Helias said:

Pure thiefs aren't worth much. I see few people using them. But the multi-class thiefs (Montaron and Coran) are very good. So are the dual classes to and from thieves (Imoen and Shar-Teel).

Actually, this goes for the other classes as well. Pure mages and clerics are inferior to the dual class builds. For the thieves it's just more obvious.

@Helias: how should one dual class a priest?
  • PantalionPantalion Member Posts: 2,137
    Jack of all Trades; the pure thief exists if you want to:

Backstab well.
    Level faster than anyone else.
    Have the highest points in thief skills.
    Have decent - though not necessarily the most powerful - traps.

Pure:

Swashies can't backstab. Even Assassins don't really advance much beyond regular backstabbery until BG2+, so they're arguably worse than pure thieves if you don't much care for poison.
    Bounty Hunters and Assassins have mediocre thief skills.
    All thieves have pretty powerful Set Snares, the pure Thief and the Swashbuckler are the ones who get the skill points necessary to max them.

Dual/Multi:

Level more slowly, by definition.

So, if you really want to be a Jack of all Trades, master of Jack All, then Thief exists to fill that role. It's up to you whether that tradeoff is worth the hassle.
  • HeliasHelias Member Posts: 112
    @Flauschig Build a human fighter with 2 weapon proficiencies in slings and 2 in some blunt weapon. At level 2 dual class to a cleric (choose sword and shield style and some other blunt instrument). Once the cleric hits level 3 you have a cleric that is good in melee and whose sling will more than occasionally hit someone.