Skip to content

Priests of Bhaal in BG 2 -Spoiler Warning-

Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
The ending in SoA was very strange indeed, the priest of bhaal who where sitting around that table, uhm, why are they there? :)

Comments

• EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    Have you played ToB yet? I want to make sure I'm not spoiling things before I go explaining that. ;D
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    They are not priests of Bhall but rather they represent some influential characters from ToB. As Epitome said, I can't really explain more without ToB spoilers.
  • Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    -Spoiler Warning- Is there so New players who havent played trough the games wont get a spoiler, ive played trough them so please explain, also :P -why do you think theyre important persons and not evil priests? they where Kaplans similiar to the Bhaalist etc, and sitting around a table with Bhaals holy symbol is quite a strange place to discuss bhaalspawn if youre a good guy intent on the good realms.
    Righto then: They are not priests, they are the Five that you kill during ToB. They all appear human or at least human sized because the races of the five were determined after that cinematic was launched.
    edited June 2012
    actually theyre 7 of them and the leader of them is a male that says "The Spawn of Bhaal is doomed, and there is no escape" i just watched it, so atleast i doubt it has anything to do with the 5, maybe this was something that they originally planned to have in Throne of Bhaal but scrapped it in favor of "the five"?
    Post edited by Zymran86 on
  • EpitomyofShynessEpitomyofShyness Member Posts: 113
    I never bought that the Personage who manipulated the events in ToB and is the final fight was working by themselves (with the five of course) I always thought there had to be other people working with that personage who were ex-followers of Bhaal. I interpreted it as some of that personages other helpers chatting, but you are probably right Zymran, and I'm probably just having wishful thinking :P
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    I loved BG, but I thought the villain in ToB was awful, I knew they were the villain (not necessarily the main one) right from the start, by the sheer stupidity of what they were doing. The game also forced compliance with what they wanted you to do, there was no option to challenge them. I really wanted to kill them, but alas I had to wait until the end for that.
    You think? :o
    I really liked Amelyssan the Blackhearted, more so than Sarevok even (Sarevok is great too, and had a great voice actor) but i didnt like that he could turn good in ToB, it kind of felt wrong, Melissan on the other hand felt abit like she had no redeemable qualitys, she was just evil, and the voice actor for her was great :)
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Eh, given Sarevok's back story in BG1, I don't think it was impossible for him to be redeemed.
    he can become Chaotic good in Throne of Bhaal, aint that "redeemed" as far as D&D fantasy setting goes? :)
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    I don't usually enjoy completely evil and unredeemably bad villains. Too one sided and uninteresting. Besides, you DO give up a piece of your soul to bring that bastard to life for the third time, he could be a little bit flexible when it comes to being a good boy, yes?
    I don;t know. Irenicus was way past the point of redemption and he was a badass Villain.
    Na Irenicus cannot be redeemed. But he wasn't entirely evil. You can see his torment from losing the love of his life, cloning her, keeping her room as it always had been. His lust for power drove him from the only woman he ever loved, leaving him with nothing but bitter vengence and hate. He was truly evil, but he was not one sided, I even felt sorry for him when he got raped gang bang style by demons.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    Irenicus was a creation of the elves. Their cruel and unusual punishment drives him to even greater madness, and then ultimately capturing CHARNAME. I really felt the elves were the baddies in all of this, and the fact that they have the audacity to suggest that it's your fault at the end made me want to kill them all.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    Irenicus can be redeemed with a mod : The Longer Road

But I've never did it, there are a lot of choice to do with him during ToB and at the end he was still himself...

In fact he has never been evil, he is just misenderstood
    @HeroicSpur

I thought Irenicus was an elf? He was exiled for doing evil and trying to ascend to godhood or some crud. Oh wait. Irenicus as in him AFTER he leaves. Not Jon, the elf. Explain how it all works I'm confused. :(
    Yeah I thought Irenicus was an elf ... According to some quotes in the game, he was the greatest wizard of the Seldarine.

In fact Jon is dead... His mask is a support (like his body) to keep him alive
    You know, I always hated what the elves did to Irenicus.

"Oh, someone so evil can't possibly be an elf, lets use our elf magic and turn him into a more appropriate race, like a human!"
    @Seldar

I am confused now. I thought Jon was an elf and as you said a powerful wizard. But he sought power and was banished for trying to use the Great Oak's power to become a powerful God.

He then assumed the identity of Irenicus. I don't understand, I want @HeroicSpur to explain the torture and punihsment stuff to me. :P
    is his face a mask?
    Also, who the hell are those guys at the end of Shadows of amn? xD
    @Zymran86

The guys at the end of SoA, that's Trent and his team. >:D
    edited June 2012
    haha :D

-Althoug i think it would be a cool thing to build something around for the BG2 EE, if there aint an explanation for it i mean :P
    edited June 2012
    I thought guys at the end of SoA was the 5 too... But as you said they are 7. I don't know who are they really

For Irenicus, yes he is wearing a mask, I don't remember where I read that, or maybe Ellesyme told us at the begining of ToB if you play The Longer Road. It's a fan mod so it might be a mystake, but that fit totally with what we know and see about him. According to Ellesyme, the real face of Irenicus is still under the mask, full of pain...

Check that, many things about Jon :

http://forgottenrealms.wikia.com/wiki/Jon_Irenicus

so according to people (like me), he is wearing a mask and some others say it is his real face
    Spoilers:

Joneleth was an elf who was in love with Elesime, the elven queen. He was a very powerful mage (at least I assume he's a mage rather than a sorcerer) and tried to ascend to godhood to join the elven pantheon by sacrificing the elven world tree or whatever it's called. This made the other elves angry so they stripped him of his "elfhood" and exiled him and Bodhi. He became twisted and bitter. This led to a downward spiral of hate and the need for vengenance which focused him on attaining godhood. After a long time of him wallowing we "meet" him in Chateau Irenicus.

Jon was perhaps not "evil" but more a sociopath who considered himself and his goal to join the gods as being more important than the tree. His actions and the elves' reprisals made him ino what he is when we meet him.

His mask might be life support, but that's just wide speculation. It could just be that it's what he considers snazzy attire.
    thanks for the link. Who among all the Villains in The 2 games and expansions where your favorite? i include the 5 in this one, personally i liked Amelyssan and Sarevok, i was abit dissapointed that Illasera was abit of a castaway, it would have been cool to storm her castle/fortress etc just like the others.
    Watch my avatar's pic and you will know who is ma favorite ;)

Then Sarevok and Balthazar, the monk in ToB
    edited June 2012
    Irenicus and Balthazar both have great depth, but Sarevok is just the epitome of Chaotic Evil.

He sacrifices his own step father and is willing to destroy a kingdom for his own selfish goals. Yet he's so cunning and calculating that everything is planned perfectly (apart from his miscalculation of CHARNAME's power). It's brilliant.
    Edit: You could argue the same of irenicus, but for all his huge intellect he let arrogance get the better of him.

That said, my favourite enemies are either Kristin & Slythe or Drassus.
    edited June 2012
    hehe, well i tought Irenicus was quite cool, he had a good voice actor :) I dont understand his ending tho, is he falling down in the lava with all the monsters etc? i tought the character killed him in bhaals realm >_<

Drasus, aint he the guy who wanted to make a mead keg out of the characters skull, and why did you like kristin and slythe, the lines they say?

I personally liked Bullrush Hack and Meiala the Sirine aswell as Morlooc in Durlags tower, cant say that theyre villains but, well they did turn hostile after awhile.. Hakt and Tazok where pretty cool too.

If BG 2 EE is going to happen, what would you guys think about expanding Illasera to a base/dungeon like Abazigal and the others, and maybe change her to an Elf with a bow like she is in the novel (would this be even possible with the restraint etc?)
    I never read the BG novel, but I've heard rumors that Minsc was turned into a red bearded warrior.

I'd rather they not take inspiration from the novels...
    We kill Jon in hell, he remains there and is stripped of his powers and attacked by hordes of demons. It's a little sketchy, but within the realms of believability :)

Drassus is the dude you pull the boots of speed off. From what we can tell from his limited line's he is a proper professional. "I'd rather skip the small talk and get right to the killing". He says this as he's sprinting at you to take your head. No monologuing for him! His only limitation is that his party often don't realise what he's up to. Damn IE messing him about :)

And I like Kris and Slythe because they just seem like cool characters. They have more depth than most assassins that you come across.

Anywho, I'm not really sure I want to put a label on which is my favourite after all that. They're all different and the writing is great.

/endramble