Skip to content

[Request] Eastern weapons on the Sword Coast

LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
Current behaviour:
Many weapons advocated by the core BG2 proficiency system are not present in BG1.

Since BG:EE will use the BG2-ToB engine, this needs to be adressed.

Desired behaviour:
Since in some way or another BG2 proficiencies will be there, the Tutu tweak that spread some (few) Katanas, Wakizashis and Ninja-Tos over the sword coast should be applied.
Post edited by Lunever on
smeagolheartFlauschigSenashOpale

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    I'm normally not in favor of adding items to the game, but considering there were NO katana's/wakizashi's/ninja-to in BG1, there's no reason to take the proficiency. As weird as it would feel to have weapons like that in the Sword Coast region (already felt sort-of out of place in Amn), a few should be added.
    tenaOpaleLuneverShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    Yes, in-game equipment and proficiencies should match. And to keep it believable, a very few of them will do.
  • FlauschigFlauschig Member Posts: 84
    Would love to use some sort of katanas :)
    Lunever
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    Bought from merchants - No or maybe on one not more since katanas and the likes are very very uncommon in the sword coast
    Found on specific npcs - Yes but make them mercenaries from Kara-Tur for example, but still they should be rare.
  • LuneverLunever Member Posts: 307
    A few in the shops are ok and should be there. Allowing charakters to learn weapon groups though would have the side-benefit to amend this proficiency-/equipment-gap.
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    I'm normally not in favor of adding items to the game, but considering there were NO katana's/wakizashi's/ninja-to in BG1, there's no reason to take the proficiency. As weird as it would feel to have weapons like that in the Sword Coast region (already felt sort-of out of place in Amn), a few should be added.
    The devs are more than welcome to lift this component wholesale from Tweaks, if they so desire. Map notes might be another one to eliminate another BG/BG2 discrepancy.

AndreaColomboDrugarJamesLunever
  • CommunardCommunard Member Posts: 556
    Possible locations for exotic weaponry:
    The chaches of former adventurers (the Mirrorshades are ideal)
    Mercenaries/characters from Kara-Tur (Are there any but Tamoko?)

I would like them to be very rare (and hence expensive) though, they are after all rather powerful. I would support allowing Taerom to reforge broken Katanas as a way to offset this rarity though, for a wee little bit more than his competition, of course.
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    Katanas and the likes shouldn't break. They were made outside of the sword coast, and thus should be unaffected by the iron crisis, another reason to be rather rare.
    SenashOpale
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @geselle

I think all normal weapons were becoming tainted, regardless of where they were forged (don't ask me how though).
    Katanas and the likes shouldn't break. They were made outside of the sword coast, and thus should be unaffected by the iron crisis, another reason to be rather rare.
    Ah, I should have been clearer, I meant you should find (ancient) broken Katanas that you could take to Taerom. Though them not breaking would make sense and would be a nice bonus to offset the rarity.
  • SenashSenash Member Posts: 405
    Mentioned this in a previous post of mine (in an items thread), so yeah... Fully support it! But I think (hope) the devs have already (must have) noticed this, since yeah, a character, especially a fighter, who would like to use katanas would be in a serious disadvantage if he/she would like to spec in them...
    Lunever
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    It is true that katanistas would be at a disadvantage. The solution to this, I think, is to make the few included katanas so much more awesome than ordinary. Like.. like... Like Throwing Katanas!
    Flauschiglolien
    edited July 2012
    It is true that katanistas would be at a disadvantage. The solution to this, I think, is to make the few included katanas so much more awesome than ordinary. Like.. like... Like Throwing Katanas!
    Double-Ended Boomerang Katanas of Lightning +8!
    scriverFlauschig