Skip to content

Totemic Druid (Can't summon spirit animal)

So I almost never play druids but I decided to try a playthrough with something new and I wanted a good summoner so I tried the Totemic Druid. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but I can't summon my spirit animal at all. The casting animation will start up but it sounds like the casting animation chant is cut short and nothing shows up. I tried searching to see if this is a bug but couldn't find much information other than the spirit animals were nerfed somehow.

Comments

• chickenhedchickenhed Member Posts: 208
    That doesn't sound good. I can't be any help right now but I will be sure to check this when I get back home.
  • GoodSteveGoodSteve Member Posts: 607
    It works fine for me. Note though that once you select the summon icon from your innate abilities menu you then have to choose from the list of spirit animals to summon. It should automatically bring these up on the bottom of the interface, if not try going into the innate abilities menu again.
  • KratokKratok Member Posts: 42
    The summon is enabled at level 5, for balance reasons I'm assuming. At least that's how it worked for me. Not sure why the ability itself is given at level 1 though, could be a bug.
    The summon works at level 1 for me, no problems.
  • nohurtmenohurtme Member Posts: 2
    edited December 2012
    GoodSteve said:

It works fine for me. Note though that once you select the summon icon from your innate abilities menu you then have to choose from the list of spirit animals to summon. It should automatically bring these up on the bottom of the interface, if not try going into the innate abilities menu again.

.....*sigh* Yup, there they are at the bottom, don't know how I managed to miss them, could've sworn there was nothing there the last time I tried. Thanks for the help.
    No problemo.
  • LiggLigg Member Posts: 187
    In BG2 there were icons of animals to choose from. You simply conjured an animal at random. In many ways this was easier to play. The new system means that you cannot interrupt the process at all. Clicking anywhere else will make the icons disappear and the spell is wasted.
    I played with a totemic druid in the Black Pits - where you constantly need to give party members tasks. All things had to stop while the druid summoned spirit animals. You get used to it - but the old had its benefits.

Can you check this: in my experience the BGEE spirit animals could be hit by non-magical weapons. I think it is a bug. They are meant to be immune. This was one of their great strengths. Try summoning one and whacking it with your own non-magical weapons to test.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited December 2012
    Ligg said:

In BG2 there were icons of animals to choose from. You simply conjured an animal at random. In many ways this was easier to play. The new system means that you cannot interrupt the process at all. Clicking anywhere else will make the icons disappear and the spell is wasted.
    I played with a totemic druid in the Black Pits - where you constantly need to give party members tasks. All things had to stop while the druid summoned spirit animals. You get used to it - but the old had its benefits.

Can you check this: in my experience the BGEE spirit animals could be hit by non-magical weapons. I think it is a bug. They are meant to be immune. This was one of their great strengths. Try summoning one and whacking it with your own non-magical weapons to test.

Confirmed on the being hit by non-magical weapons, but that was taken away from their summons because the powers that be felt it would make the game unbalanced ( I think BG2 had it that they were immune to +1 weapons as well). I don't know if that gets any better by max level (10), it very well may.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Spirit Animals go back to being their BG2-selves at level 10.
  • KratokKratok Member Posts: 42
    edited December 2012
    That's weird, the buttons for the choices just didn't exist for me until level 5 when they suddenly appeared, so I just expected that there was a level requirement... unless I just somehow missed it the first 4 levels until suddenly noticing. :p Good to know though.

But yeah, it lost it's biggest advantage of immunity to normal/+1 weapons. At level 5 it died fairly easily, although it can still beat Rasaad 1v1.