Skip to content

No racial thieving bonuses?

Is it a bug that my halfling thief is not getting any bonuses to her thiving skills or am I missing something?
The bonus from dexterity is there but nothing else.
Also the bounty hunter kit doesn't seem to get the +15 set traps either.

Comments

• ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    A racial thieving bonus could be a little controversial...
  • szbszb Member Posts: 220
    edited December 2012
    ajwz said:

A racial thieving bonus could be a little controversial...

But it was in the original was it not?
    EDIT: Besides I don't mind pissing off the worlds elf/halfling/whatever population over this issue.
  • jfliederjflieder Member Posts: 115
    Racial thieving bonuses did exist in the original. Halflings are apparently the trickiest and craftiest race of thieves, as they receive the biggest overall boost in skills. Check out the thieving class/kit section of this link:

http://playithardcore.com/pihwiki/index.php?title=Baldur's_Gate:_Classes_and_Kits#Thief_Kits
    Ok, then the racial bonuses were either removed, or its a bug.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I remember that too. If I'm remembering correctly, this bonus is added to your skill points at character creation, so you won't see it as a bonus but it will be reflected in your score. I'm not at my computer right now, though, so I can't double-check.
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    szb said:

Is it a bug that my halfling thief is not getting any bonuses to her thiving skills or am I missing something?
    The bonus from dexterity is there but nothing else.
    Also the bounty hunter kit doesn't seem to get the +15 set traps either.

That really sucks if true :-(

Have you reported it as a bug, as the racial thieving bonuses ought definitely to be there?
  • BanexBanex Member Posts: 127
    They are there,just try to maximise dexterity to get the full benefit.
    edited December 2012

The racial bonuses are inherent. You don't gain bonus points to put in abilities; those abilities are simply better at character creation than someone of another race.

Just tested it out. Made a human and a gnome thief, both with 18 dexterity. I dumped all points into pick pockets. The gnome has 5 to 10 more points in just about everything, as listed on the PIH link already provided by @jflieder.

AKA: I bet you're getting them and you don't even realize it. They still exist.

Your right, I tested it too and they do get it.
    But the bounty hunter bonus is still missing, I'll report that as a bug.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    szb said:

The racial bonuses are inherent. You don't gain bonus points to put in abilities; those abilities are simply better at character creation than someone of another race.

Just tested it out. Made a human and a gnome thief, both with 18 dexterity. I dumped all points into pick pockets. The gnome has 5 to 10 more points in just about everything, as listed on the PIH link already provided by @jflieder.

Your right, I tested it too and they do get it.
    But the bounty hunter bonus is still missing, I'll report that as a bug.
    Did you look at your set traps skill in your character record once the game had started, or just at the character creation screen? Because I just checked, and while set traps was at 5 in character creation, as soon as I started the game and checked it there it was at 20.
    TJ_Hooker said:

Did you look at your set traps skill in your character record once the game had started, or just at the character creation screen? Because I just checked, and while set traps was at 5 in character creation, as soon as I started the game and checked it there it was at 20.

OK, missed that somehow. Thanks.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    Halflings, dwarfs and gnomes all get a total of 40 racial bonus skills, spread across a variety of things...halfling are heavily focused in Hide/MS and pickpocket, with a little locks, dwarfs are heavy in traps,locks,set traps, and a little DI, and gnomes are spread across pretty much everything, but best in DI.

Halfelves and elves have 15 total, and humans and half-orcs get none.

Also very high dex also starts to grant a few ranks to some skills.

Racial and Dex mods affect your starting base amounts you see at creation.

The class skill bonuses only shows up in game proper, not during creation.

Halflings, dwarfs and gnomes all get a total of 40 racial bonus skills, spread across a variety of things...halfling are heavily focused in Hide/MS and pickpocket, with a little locks, dwarfs are heavy in traps,locks,set traps, and a little DI, and gnomes are spread across pretty much everything, but best in DI.

Halfelves and elves have 15 total, and humans and half-orcs get none. .

Elves get more than 15 points in bonuses in BGEE/BG2 (BG1 is different), see the table here:
    http://www.pocketplane.net/volothamp/thief.htm

edited December 2012
    AH I see. It's cause they gave them the same amounts in both Hide/MS since they split stealth up. OK, they get 20 then.
    edited December 2012

You apparently didn't notice the -5 open locks..they get 15 TOTAL points.

They get +20 overall in BGEE because they get points in both move silently and hide in shadows

AH I see. It's cause they gave them the same amounts in both Hide/MS since they split stealth up. OK, they get 20 then. I'll have to check the errata again...that still seems off.

The tables might not be correct, so could be worth checking elsewhere too
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, I doubled checked the errata....according it the other tables were wrong...however, after checking in game, it seems the errata itself is wrong...the tables it was supposedly correcting the information for are actually accurate for in game. Not sure why that is, since there's no reason for the errata in the first place if the values were correct all along.
  • baaddarebaaddare Member Posts: 145

lol great minds did the same test with same results. Then saw your post.

They really should list the skills additions for each race in the character greator