Skip to content

BGEE or BG1 + BG2 + Mods

So, I have never played the first Baldur's Gate and I intended to do it now that the enhanced edition is out, but for what I read, especially in the game banshee review, I don't know wether is best to play the enhanced edition or the original with mods like baldur's gate trilogy, unfinished business, widescreen, etc. So I'd like to know what you guys recommend

Comments

• AraminaAramina Member Posts: 64
    Depends how much time you want to spend installing all the mods + fixpacks + hassle of just getting BG1 to play on a modern computer. If you don't mind spending the time, I'd recommend playing the trilogy + mods first, and hopefully by the time you finish that, most of the mod authors will have made them compatible with BG:EE.

BG:EE IMO is better than vanilla BG1, and I like the new NPCs better than the NPC pack mod, but combined with all the other great mods that don't work yet for BG:EE, I can see why many people still prefer BG1.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Eh...

Take the GameBanshee review with a grain of salt. Not that what they said was inaccurate (there are a lot of issues right now with people being unable to install it, or bugs that are still being fixed), but from what I understand the folks over there are biased against the enhanced edition just on principle, which is naturally going to color their review.

The enhanced edition will give you some things that mods can't. Zoom is one of those things, and the new UI and NPCs are others. There are also a number of improvements made to the engine's efficiency, meaning that the game runs faster (unless you're experiencing some of the [comparatively uncommon] game-crashing bugs) and cleaner than the original.

I think in the long run, there will be no contest between the two. Part of that will be because the mods will be compatible with the EE eventually, so it will really be a comparison between BG:EE + mods versus vBG + mods, at which point I think the differences will be clear.

That said, there are some issues that they're still working out right now. They're working quickly, but if you'd rather wait for a more stable release, there's nothing wrong with waiting a few weeks and seeing how the game looks then. (spoilers: it should look a lot better.)