Skip to content

The mechanics of shoplifting

It's been about a decade since I was introduced to Baldur's Gate. I've played both first and second game a lot. I've played all kinds of characters. I've put more hours to this game series than almost any other.

And I've never, ever succeeded in shoplifting.

How is this thing supposed to work? Do I need a high ability score or a thieving skill or something? Because I can shoplift as non-thieves and even a 100+ pick pockets never let me pick up anything from the store shelves without being noticed.

I just want to nick something real expensive from that Beregost smithy without paying for it. That too much to ask?

Comments

• szbszb Member Posts: 220
    Not sure about this but I think it both the weight and the price of the item you are trying to steal influences the outcome. I managed to steal a plate mail with my bard before so it is certaly possible, maybe you've been just very unlucky so far.
  • JonelethIrenicusJonelethIrenicus Member Posts: 157
    Do you use potions to boost up you pickpocket stats etc?
  • FrozenCellsFrozenCells Member Posts: 385
    Buy and drink a bunch of mastery thievery potions. I expect that the effects stack like they did in the original games so after 5 potions or so, you will have 200%+ pickpocketing skill and it will generally succeed. Very poor implementation.
  • Are you talking about shoplifting in the store screen, or stealing from containers inside the store? Because I'm pretty sure you don't even have the option to do the former in Taerom's Smithy.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    You can't even steal from the Beregost Smithy (Taerom Fuiruim), Thalantyr (Beregost), or (in the City of Baldur's Gate) Sorcerous Sundries (Halbazzer Drin).
  • ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    Kaigen said:

Are you talking about shoplifting in the store screen, or stealing from containers inside the store? Because I'm pretty sure you don't even have the option to do the former in Taerom's Smithy.

The former. And if I can't, then that's kind of a bummer. There are many fine expensive things there that I'd like to have.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,316
    edited December 2012
    Chow said:

Kaigen said:

Are you talking about shoplifting in the store screen, or stealing from containers inside the store? Because I'm pretty sure you don't even have the option to do the former in Taerom's Smithy.

The former. And if I can't, then that's kind of a bummer. There are many fine expensive things there that I'd like to have.
    So would I lol. My evil Jester stares intently at many of the high quality items available in these places but alas even with 90 in pick pocketing she is not even given the opportunity to try to steal them.
  • Chow said:

Kaigen said:

Get your hands on some fine expensive things, then sell them to the Nashkel Store and steal them back. You can't sell stolen items, but you can sell items that you want to use and then steal them back if the store allows you to steal from it; that'll give you a nice boost to the pocketbook for buying the stuff from the stores who's security is too good to be stolen from.

• CleaveCleave Member Posts: 32
    my thief lvl 2 with 50 in pickpocket managed to steal a large shield +1 on his first attempt from a shop, without any potion/help whatsoever

maybe you're just not being lucky enough
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I believe each npc and store has a defined defense % against pickpocket and shoplifting. For example, you can probably steal from a commoner at 50%, but need like a 150% against a member of the shadow thieves. Also, there is always a small percentage (1% or 5%, depending on 1d100 or 1d20 die) that you fail in pickpocket (like a critical miss.)

There is stealing exploit in bg. As long as you "fake talk" the person you try to pickpocket, even if you fail, the script for catching your thievery action never triggers. For shoplifting, as soon as you fail in robbing the store, hit pause button. Fake talk the merchant again and the script for catching you also never triggers. Obviously, I would recommend you drink some potions of master thievery first to decrease the odds of the fake talk inconvenience and save the game often when stealing.
  • I think they might have fixed "fake talk" in BGEE, though, at least as far as shoplifting goes (it worked fine for killing Firebead). When I've been caught by Winthrop or in Nashkel, the shopkeeper has immediately been un-interactable and summoning the guards.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I am unaware of that because I dont have bgee yet. But it's kind of strange if they fix the shoplifter fake talk but not the battle fake talk. About the fake talk in shoplifting, you have to time the pause button quickly. As soon as you realize you have failed, pause the game (even in the store inventory).

Even if this mechanics is removed, so what? If you are persistent in stealing from the store, you can always count on reloading.

Also, does this game preserve random seed on dice roll? If it does, you may want to perform some other actions first before stealing again from a reload.