Skip to content

Winthrop's price for a Katana

PerusoePerusoe Member Posts: 46
edited December 2012 in Not An Issue
At the start of the game, my character entered the Candlekeep Inn to purchase some items from Winthrop. Browsing through his inventory I discovered his price for a Katana was 635 GP. I could understand it if it was a Katana +1, but this was a normal Katana. (See image below). I'm not sure if that is intended, but thought I would report it just in case it wasn't.

Post edited by Dee on

Comments

• begolf00begolf00 Member Posts: 152
    @Perusoe

Weird, I just played a game and it was like 75 GP.
  • PerusoePerusoe Member Posts: 46
    begolf00 said:

@Perusoe

I must live in an economically inflated part of the world. image

• SheikiaSheikia Member Posts: 15
    I had the same problem. I was wondering if it was actually a bug, or Katanas were just randomly very expensive...
    Sheikia said:

I had the same problem. I was wondering if it was actually a bug, or Katanas were just randomly very expensive...

Hmm... Now I'm beginning to wonder if it's Regional. (I did the English install).

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    The base price of a non-magical katana is 500 and Winthrop has a sell markup of 150%, meaning that without any other modifications to the price you will have to buy it for is 750 gp (500*1.5). The normal justification for this price is that katanas are supposed to be found only in Kara-Tur on that world, thus making them very rare in Faerun. A quick cost analysis will show that it is much more economical to buy a bastard sword for 25gp (or 38 gp with that markup). That being said, if you are playing a kensai as they should be represented then katana is the way to go.
    edited December 2012

The base price of a non-magical katana is 500 and Winthrop has a sell markup of 150%, meaning that without any other modifications to the price you will have to buy it for is 750 gp (500*1.5). The normal justification for this price is that katanas are supposed to be found only in Kara-Tur on that world, thus making them very rare in Faerun. A quick cost analysis will show that it is much more economical to buy a bastard sword for 25gp (or 38 gp with that markup). That being said, if you are playing a kensai as they should be represented then katana is the way to go.

Yeah, but
    begolf00 said:

Something isn't adding up. (* Perusoe scratches his head *)
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    There's something else "weird" about the katana.

It doesn't break.

This isn't a bug, although it's something we've been discussing at length. Moving the thread to "Not an Issue".
    Aosaw said:

It doesn't break.

This isn't a bug, although it's something we've been discussing at length. Moving the thread to "Not an Issue".

Okay, thanks! image
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    Aosaw said:

It doesn't break.

If they are made in Kara-Tur instead of locally as indicated by the price and rarity they really shouldn't be affected by the brittle iron disease.
    hook71 said:

If they are made in Kara-Tur instead of locally as indicated by the price and rarity they really shouldn't be affected by the brittle iron disease.

Very interesting observation. image