Skip to content

No Greenstone Ring

neuromancerneuromancer Member Posts: 5
edited December 2012 in Not An Issue
Another user previously posted this problem, but it was dismissed by the mods for some reason. But I'm seeing the same problem.

re: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/9352/cant-pick-josephs-ring

Joesph's Greenstone ring, nor his body, are not present at the start of the third level of the mines. The nearest thing that can be selected is the three mine carts, and they don't have it.

I'm scouring all over the start of the third level and there is no ring, or body. I'm running the BGEE local install (as I didn't feel like installing yet another stupid game client just to play one game).

I'm hitting tab, I'm moving the mouse all over, nothing.

Also note that I had made it into the mines before heading back and getting the quest.

Ctrl-X doesn't do anything, so I can't find the specific spot I should look.

Not a game breaker by any means, but definitely annoying.
Post edited by Coriander on

Comments

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    ctrl-x works only when you enabled debug mode in your baldur.ini file.
    "Program Options","Debug Mode",1

See the forum how to do this exactly.
  • hajjenhajjen Member Posts: 1
    edited December 2012
    I think the greenstone ring disappears once you have finished the Nashkel Mines quest, at least that's what happened to me. I picked up the ring once when I first got there, then I had to reload and forgot to pick up the ring. Later when I was going to finish the quest and realized I didn't have the ring, I went back to the mines but the ring or the body was not there any more.

I then tried to load a save when I was in the mines but before completing them and then the ring that I had forgotten was still there.

Edit:
    Now I saw a response in the other thread that sounds plausible at least in my case

"Maybe you have rested in the mines too much.
    If you rest for long, items on the ground disappear. So this could happen."

I guess that explanation would make sense since I came back quite a while later to get the ring...
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Yes, i can imagine the ring is removed if it is left around for an extended period.
    It isn't a really important quest, so the ring was probably not flagged as 'critical'.
    Flagging too many items might cause problems when you want to sell them instead of turning them in.
  • gogopostgogopost Member Posts: 19
    Same problem here. I forgot to pick that quest on my first run through the mine, I picked the quest later and the ring was gone. I reloaded older save from my first run when I didn't have the quest, and its there.

I don't know why this is flagged as not an issue. It breaks a quest and could easily be fixed by placing that ring into a nearby container, like it is, if I remember correctly, in regular Baldur's Gate.

• gogopostgogopost Member Posts: 19
    CLUAConsole:CreateItem("RINGJOS")

Is console command for getting that ring.
  • CaptDanCaptDan Member Posts: 8
    It doesn't 'break a quest' - it's evidence of a reasonably persistent world. Once the mines are safe, I would imagine someone else picked up that ring... And you do NOT remember correctly. The ring was always on the body.
  • neuromancerneuromancer Member Posts: 5
    Well, it does prevent you from completing a quest, so in that regard it may well be considered 'breaking the quest'. On the other hand, it is a minor issue.

Its possible - probable even - that I missed it the first time I got to that level, and as long as it doesn't run the chance of disappearing before I get to the level, and it is WAD, then that is fine.
  • neuromancerneuromancer Member Posts: 5

ctrl-x works only when you enabled debug mode in your baldur.ini file.
    "Program Options","Debug Mode",1

See the forum how to do this exactly.

Ah, thought it might be something like that. Thank you.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    edited December 2012
    I still believe it shouldn't be vanish. There is no other quest item that does. And there is no other dialog with Joseph's wife even after a mines are cleared. (when she would probably realize that her husband is gone) So it is quest breaking and not a realty issue.