Skip to content

On pronunciation of "Blackguard"

BugratBugrat Member Posts: 118
In game terms, is the character class pronounced Black(as in the color)-Guard? Or is it pronounced like the old English slang where it's spelled the same but pronounced like "blaggard"? I assumed it was the former but I wonder because some of the voice acting in BG:EE uses the latter.

Comments

• MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Officially it's pronounced Black-guard, but since ck and g do not sound miles away, it is easy to mishear it for Blagguard.
  • Talen84Talen84 Member Posts: 1
    The cambridge dictionary would suggest closer to Blaggard as the correct pronuciation: blæg.ɑːd

Source:
    http://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/british/blackguard
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I'd go with Black-guard, but that's me.

On an almost entirely unrelated note, I did very much enjoy hearing it (or indeed anything) from Captain Barbossa when he went "BLAGGARD!" though.
    edited December 2012
    What if i want to use an american accent instead of the british one? :p

Anyway, it might be closer to Blaggard since (c)k and g do not often get pronounced distinctively when together, but i seriously prefer to distinguish them.
  • knasknas Member Posts: 50
    I always used Blaggard
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @Dave says it's blaggard. So that's the official pronounciation.
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    edited December 2012
    I always used to say Black-guard, but picturing Barbossa saying BLAGGARD has forever changed my pronunciation.
    Post edited by toanwrath on
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    I prefer black-guard, because blaggard sounds too much like bladder... >_>
    edited December 2012
    Coriander said:

@Dave says it's blaggard. So that's the official pronounciation.

@Coriander did he say that while drunk too?

I find it very easy to say Blaggar' instead of Blackguard after i drink 5 or 6 beers :p

So if it's blaggard now, after beers it's... blggr? o_O
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    @Mornmagor No drinking required. Don't ask him how to pronounce drow. He's wrong.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    To me, "Blaggard" sounds a bit sort of camp, 3 musketeers style slang, as in "Unhand the girl and draw steel, Blaggard!"
    So I prefer "black guard"
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    In my mind I'll differentiate the two, with the class being pronounced as black-guard, as that sounds more like an evil warrior to me. "Blaggard" sounds like something that a man with a top hat and monocle calls someone before loudly harumphing.
  • ImperatorImperator Member Posts: 154
    In phonetic terms, it should be /blaek^gaard/ with ^ signifying an unreleased plosive (a small silent period), meaning you start to say the /k/ sound, but don't go through with it and change it to a /g/ during the silence.
  • DaveDave Member Posts: 200
    @Coriander I'm not wrong. I point out which pronunciation is correct, and then I point out which one I prefer. :)
  • DaveDave Member Posts: 200
    Also, it's spelled "blackguard" and pronounced closer to "blaggard."
  • ThorssonThorsson Member Posts: 190
    The ck are nigh on silent. But then some people probably pronounce the g in nigh. And then say they prefer it that way, and not pronouncing it is gay...
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 50
    I've always pronounced it (ˈblægəd), especially considering that "blaggard" is an alternate spelling.

• PhilhelmPhilhelm Member Posts: 473
    Santorum would pronounce it as "Blah-Guard."
  • MechaliburMechalibur Member Posts: 265
    I always figured it was Black + Guard. I mean, it's spelled exactly that way, and they're two words that are almost always pronounced the same.

Then again, the only difference between g and k is that g is voiced, so when you have them together, it's easier to say Blakard or Blagard.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122

i think there's some confusion here, dorn's character class is actually supposed to be listed as 'blogger'. i'll look into how this slipped by.

Lol. Reminds me of this comic: