Skip to content

Unique special ability descriptions

Maybe I am stupid but I never found any good descriptions about special abilities which are not class related like Minsc's berzerk, or Eldoth's poison arrows. I think we have a lot of space for those in biography or in kit description.

Comments

• bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    I concur. Also there needs to be information for the innate abilities and HLA abilities for fighters.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    bbear said:

I concur. Also there needs to be information for the innate abilities and HLA abilities for fighters.

There was a really good site about HLA-s I will search for it.
  • bbearbbear Member Posts: 1,180
    Thanks. I am familiar with this website but I suspect most players aren't. It would be great to have a section devote to innate ability similar to the wizard and priest spells sections in the journal/menu.
    I've tried to make some things clear in nearinfinity, especially with Minsc, but some questions remains. I guess I will have to test them.
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    Wow, I really agree with this. For instance, I'm playing a priest of helm in Baldur's Gate EE. And I want to see what true seeing does, but the spell isn't in my cleric's spell book, so I cannot refresh my memory. Talk about useless when you think about it. :/
    1130210 said:

Wow, I really agree with this. For instance, I'm playing a priest of helm in Baldur's Gate EE. And I want to see what true seeing does, but the spell isn't in my cleric's spell book, so I cannot refresh my memory. Talk about useless when you think about it. :/

Thanks. :)
    About true sight, it's probably like the mage spell with the same name with different casting time/duration. But yes we should have to know this as well.
  • KaltzorKaltzor Member Posts: 1,050
    For all your basic baldur's gate information needs http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/ is a good place.
    Kaltzor said:

For all your basic baldur's gate information needs http://www.planetbaldursgate.com/ is a good place.

Yes it is, we all know that. That's not the reason and believe me, I can ask questions in the topic that pbg cannot answer.
    @Kaltzor yes, you make a good point (albeit even if you perhaps may not know you're making one). When you install the game, you're given two manuals as well. All the spells are listed in it, there's outside resources, and a forum you can check and ask questions on.

However, I think this feature is more about updating "Baldur's Gate," and major critics felt like the game just didn't feel enhanced enough. Yes, there wasn't enough content, but a main gripe was that there wasn't much in terms of "enhanced".

To get into what I'm trying to explain, not just to you, but to everyone, it's that Baldur's Gate needs small improvements. The path finding needs tweaked, small interface changes need to be made, and it needs to be a game that's more accessible to people who've not played a Baldur's Gate game before. The Infinity Engine games are more AD&D core rule intensive than NWN or NWNII. But that's the problem I think!

When you get down to it, you can make mistakes by leaving in bugs, not adding enough content, but a lasting appeal lasts forever.

1130210 said:

@Kaltzor yes, you make a good point (albeit even if you perhaps may not know you're making one). When you install the game, you're given two manuals as well. All the spells are listed in it, there's outside resources, and a forum you can check and ask questions on.

However, I think this feature is more about updating "Baldur's Gate," and major critics felt like the game just didn't feel enhanced enough. Yes, there wasn't enough content, but a main gripe was that there wasn't much in terms of "enhanced".

To get into what I'm trying to explain, not just to you, but to everyone, it's that Baldur's Gate needs small improvements. The path finding needs tweaked, small interface changes need to be made, and it needs to be a game that's more accessible to people who've not played a Baldur's Gate game before. The Infinity Engine games are more AD&D core rule intensive than NWN or NWNII. But that's the problem I think!

When you get down to it, you can make mistakes by leaving in bugs, not adding enough content, but a lasting appeal lasts forever.

Your point? Do you believe that there is a description (for example) about Minsc's unique rage ability in the game or manual? Or would you consider adding informations like this a big thing? I am not. I love the enhancements, and they are more than enough. But these little things aren't really hard to make, and it would make people happy, especially new players. (though I couldn't care less for them, I play/love this for 14 years, and most of them want to turn this game to a WoW) I've reported about a hundred bugs already, and yes they are more important than little things like this, but seriously... making this would be like... 5 minutes.
    edited January 2013
    ankheg said:

1130210 said:

Your point? Do you believe that there is a description (for example) about Minsc's unique rage ability in the game or manual? Or would you consider adding informations like this a big thing? I am not. I love the enhancements, and they are more than enough. But these little things aren't really hard to make, and it would make people happy, especially new players. (though I couldn't care less for them, I play/love this for 14 years, and most of them want to turn this game to a WoW) I've reported about a hundred bugs already, and yes they are more important than little things like this, but seriously... making this would be like... 5 minutes.
    ? I don't understand. Isn't what I was saying what you were talking about? But quit acting like I'd be so naive as to not know this wouldn't take five minutes to create... -.-

Do you forget I'm a fan too, and that I was supporting your forum post? And if it wasn't that hard to make then why hadn't they made these improvements? Not everyone plays D&D and knows these rules. In fact, it was hard for my brother to play the game because of a lot of the path finding in the original game, among other issues as well, though;the path finding error, however, was not fixed in the Enhanced Edition. Well, will it be fixed BG:II or won't it? The reviewers disagreed that the game wasn't a fair price, and the game wasn't polished enough. All I tried to do was support their claims because if BGII:EE isn't successful, guess what, no BG:Next...

Little enhancements are what people look for. I wouldn't want the game to look like WoW either, but I'd like to think graphics aren't the only thing holding the game together. If Beamdog is very serious about making another Baldur's Gate game, then they'll have a lot to improve. Fixing glitches should be the first step, and it's what everyone expects on a bare minimum. The original Baldur's Gate: EE really needed little things here and there. Like.. your "Special Abilities" description you mentioned... Or a fix to the path finding, or maybe some small other changes to the UI or interface. You've been playing the game for 14 years great, but what about the other people that haven't. Let's make it accessible to the Call of Duty junkies. A lot of them were attracted to Skyrim for the same purpose I'm talking about, even!

At a time where game company's are getting rid of the game manual completely, most people aren't hardcore gamers... No one checks manuals, hence, company's are getting rid of them. People listen to reviewers. Find any game at IGN.com or Gamespot.com, and I bet, no I *guarantee* the gamer's ratings mirrors or at least represents the reviewer's own scores.

But just because you find glitches and report them doesn't make you any more credible on consumer ability or consumerism. I admit it's impressive, but just to throw the claim out there makes you seem like you only care about your own opinions and aren't open minded enough. I was trying to help.

EDIT: And my point was in favor of the point you made at the beginning of the forum. Your *own* post.
    edited January 2013
    1130210 said:

ankheg said:

1130210 said:

? I don't understand. Isn't what I was saying what you were talking about? But quit acting like I'd be so naive as to not know this wouldn't take five minutes to create... -.-

Do you forget I'm a fan too, and that I was supporting your forum post? And if it wasn't that hard to make then why hadn't they made these improvements? Not everyone plays D&D and knows these rules. In fact, it was hard for my brother to play the game because of a lot of the path finding in the original game, among other issues as well, though;the path finding error, however, was not fixed in the Enhanced Edition. Well, will it be fixed BG:II or won't it? The reviewers disagreed that the game wasn't a fair price, and the game wasn't polished enough. All I tried to do was support their claims because if BGII:EE isn't successful, guess what, no BG:Next...

At a time where game company's are getting rid of the game manual completely, most people aren't hardcore gamers... No one checks manuals, hence, company's are getting rid of them. People listen to reviewers. Find any game at IGN.com or Gamespot.com, and I bet, no I *guarantee* the gamer's ratings mirrors or at least represents the reviewer's own scores.

But just because you find glitches and report them doesn't make you any more credible on consumer ability or consumerism. I admit it's impressive, but just to throw the claim out there makes you seem like you only care about your own opinions and aren't open minded enough. I was trying to help.

EDIT: And my point was in favor of the point you made at the beginning of the forum. Your *own* post.
    I am sorry then. Reading the forum made me paranoid I guess...
    edited January 2013
    ankheg said:

1130210 said:

ankheg said:

1130210 said:

I am sorry than. Reading the forum made me paranoid I guess...
    No you don't even have to apologize. I didn't think it was a problem because I like agreeing with people's opinions. You had a really good feature request, is all.

But I needed to clarify because, no, I was agreeing with you because I had thought you made a fantastic point. We're both fans of this game, and I know you just want to see the second edition succeed because you are working on the product, as well.

I'm also the same way because sometimes I get paranoid and misinterpret someone's post. So, at one point I basically did what you did... And I commend you for the apology, nevertheless. It's something I often fail to do. In addition, I probably went a bit off the deep end, as well. But I'm willing to agree that it was just a mistake on your part because you're an admiral fan, as I am.

This is my favorite game. I think it's one of the best games I've ever played in my life. But it's incredibly difficult to convince people it's so great... You really can't spend five minutes looking at it because it's hard to understand; the concept is difficult to understand.

Overall though, I apologize as well.

• 00zim0000zim00 Member Posts: 267
    I think if we added something like the option to Right click or double click the ability icons that would bring up a page similar to the mage and clerics spell description this would solve that issue.

I also think it would be great to have this work on all mage and cleric spells. It’s annoying when you’re looking through your currently readied spells half way in a battle and forget some of the details of what the spell does. So you have to stop, open your spell book, try and remember what level the spell was, find the spell, read it and then back into the main interface where you have to search though all the spells again to find where it was so you can cast it.

In the case of equipped items such as potions or magic rings. You could just have it bring up the item information when right clicked.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited January 2013
    Minsc's berserk has the same list of immunities that the Barbarian's does (weaker then the berserker's), gives +2 str, +15 temp hp (taken at the end of the rage), lasts 10 rounds, and causes him to go truly berserk for the duration.

• NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Try playing on an iPad.

You can't even see what the innate ability names are.

Your options are to just try stuff, or to go read spoiler sites.
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @Nifft To see the names on the iPad, click the Special Abilities button and then Help. The tooltips are on the second page. You can do this with Cast Spell, too.
  • NifftNifft Member Posts: 1,065
    Jalily said:

@Nifft To see the names on the iPad, click the Special Abilities button and then Help. The tooltips are on the second page. You can do this with Cast Spell, too.

I'll try that, thanks!