Skip to content

Levelup bug or weird feature.

I had something looking like a bug and it kind of killed it for me if i can't get any answer for it. I managed to press the "L" button by a mistake and it said the druid lady of my party leveled up. I saw her having 2002/2000 xp whereas the others had barely reached 1000. I pressed level up just to get that crap out of the way, but i couldn't assign any points so i tried loading another save and guess what?! It said she leveled up there also. Tried quitting and starting the game again, but it's still there. I spammed "L" and it said she leveled up each time, but it just kept switching her from level 2 and back to 1 again.

Comments

• TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Haha, the 'L' key is the quickload button. From what I can tell, you've just been re-loading your last quicksave over and over.
  • StormwolfStormwolf Member Posts: 3
    Ok, might have made a stupid mistake there :P but that doesn't explain why she leveled up in the middle of nowhere when i pressed some button :S
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Hmm, well sometimes NPCs have slightly higher xp values than you do when you pick them up, so that could explain why she levelled up before everyone else. As to why she levelled up out of nowhere, is it possible that she had gained enough xp to level up earlier, but you just didn't notice? Because every time you load a game that has a character with enough xp to level up, you'll hear the little sound and see the message in the dialogue box as if they had just levelled up, even if they actually gained the necessary xp a while before.
  • StormwolfStormwolf Member Posts: 3
    Ok, i'm sure that must be it. Thanks!
  • MikkelMikkel Member Posts: 86
    TJ_Hooker said:

Hmm, well sometimes NPCs have slightly higher xp values than you do when you pick them up, so that could explain why she levelled up before everyone else. As to why she levelled up out of nowhere, is it possible that she had gained enough xp to level up earlier, but you just didn't notice? Because every time you load a game that has a character with enough xp to level up, you'll hear the little sound and see the message in the dialogue box as if they had just levelled up, even if they actually gained the necessary xp a while before.

This. I've found myself missing level-ups several times, only to discover they're there upon loading.
  • CygnusCygnus Member Posts: 44
    Jahera does in fact have higher XP when you pick her up at the inn. I noticed she has over 1700 XP in both classes as soon as she joins, even though I am still level 1 with about 900 XP in my single class.
  • ElizabethSterlingElizabethSterling Member Posts: 39
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, BG has a very sparse level equivalency table IIRC where if you're between X and Y then the NPC's level is Z. I believe Throne of Bhaal was the first to change this by setting a minimum level and then just matching the NPC's experience to yours so you could level them up manually. You can somewhat understand why they didn't do it for BG1/2 though, as this would somewhat rob the NPCs of their individuality.