Skip to content

Art cameo in EE

I don't know if this has been brought up before, but hey... I'm gonna say it anyway.

I was in the Friendly Arm Inn, and my eye was caught by this painting on the wall:

It's apparently this picture here:

What's interesting is that it's a Dragonlance picture (a flying citadel) in a Forgotten Realms setting.
Maybe it got here through a magic traveling sphere...

Did everybody know about this already?
Are there any more famous paintings you found and you want to share?
Was this in the original BG or is it an EE thing?

Comments

• ChowChow Member Posts: 1,192
    I'm pretty sure this was already in the original: it's a fairly well-brought-up easter egg.

There's a similar one in Adventurer's Mart at the start of the second game.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Ahhh, as I suspected!
    Such a nice picture!"
  • GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2016

Post edited by GodKaiserHell on
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    edited December 2012
    I read somewere, that the face in the flag right of my party here is from the official Baldur's Gate comic (of which I couldn't find any evidence that it even exists). Athkatla harbour district btw.

• GodKaiserHellGodKaiserHell Member Posts: 398
    edited July 2016

Post edited by GodKaiserHell on
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327

I read somewere, that the face in the flag right of my party here is from the official Baldur's Gate comic (of which I couldn't find any evidence that it even exists). Athkatla harbour district btw.

That looks like Hank the Ranger from the old Dungeons & Dragons Saturday morning cartoon series. In Ribald's Adventurers' Mart in BG2 you have a couple more pictures paying homage to the series, one of Hank and another of Bobby the Barbarian, along with descriptive text speculating as to their fates.
  • Raistlin82Raistlin82 Member Posts: 256
    edited December 2012
    Chow said:

I'm pretty sure this was already in the original
    There's a similar one in Adventurer's Mart at the start of the second game.

Original:

Nice. Ok. that settles it.

my party here

Did you... did you import three characters from multi-player just so you could have a full team of midgets? :D

Maybe is a reference to Dungeon & Dragons the animated series.

Nukenin said:

That looks like Hank the Ranger from the old Dungeons & Dragons Saturday morning cartoon series. In Ribald's Adventurers' Mart in BG2 you have a couple more pictures paying homage to the series, one of Hank and another of Bobby the Barbarian, along with descriptive text speculating as to their fates.

Aaand that's the Adventurers' Mart one that was mentioned.
    Interesting. :)

my party here

Did you... did you import three characters from multi-player just so you could have a full team of midgets? :D
    Hehe, I'm glad you noticed :D The first one is my Bhaalspawn Hildur, female dwarf with a ~fabulous~ beard. The other ones are mod NPCs, Breagar and Nephele.

I just installed these two mods so that I could have a midget party, yes xD

When someone played through BG as often as I did, you get these stupid ideas. Same with Pokémon, my entire team in White 2 is made of pigs.

Why? For the Lulz.
    Well, since we're at it... there is another painting in the main room of the Friendly Arm Inn.
    I have a strong suspicion it might be a famous piece, too.

Zooming in, I got the impression it's 2 dragons fighting and "breathing" at each other. Never seen it myself, though.

Has anybody seen it?
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    @Raistlin82
    I've seen that one before , but don't really know where to find it on the internet - anyone knows where to find dragon pictures from the 90's?
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @Raistlin82 @DJkajuru It's a fairly famous old D&D image actually:

• MaconaMacona Member Posts: 70

I read somewere, that the face in the flag right of my party here is from the official Baldur's Gate comic (of which I couldn't find any evidence that it even exists).

A one-issue BG comic does exist, but it's not very good. It uses some of the NPCs from the game but with a different storyline.

Macona said:

I read somewere, that the face in the flag right of my party here is from the official Baldur's Gate comic (of which I couldn't find any evidence that it even exists).

A one-issue BG comic does exist, but it's not very good. It uses some of the NPCs from the game but with a different storyline.
    For real?! I've been searching for that my entire life (well, since I heard that a comic may exist).
    Do you have a link or something??? You would be my hero!
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    @Buttercheese It can be accessed from this forum, courtesy of @Space_hamster. But yeah, don't get your hopes up.
  • CalmarCalmar Member Posts: 688
    Thanks for the link! With BG II and most notably the Icewind Dale series, I had totally forgotten that BG I originally still had that 90s fantasy look. :D
    edited December 2012
    Shin said:

@Buttercheese It can be accessed from this forum, courtesy of @Space_hamster. But yeah, don't get your hopes up.

Dude, you are for ever my hero. I've been looking for this for AGES. Been throug multiple different comic stores and gaming stores, searched over a hundret websites but couldn't find anything. I didn't even belive that this comic existed any more. THANK YOU SO MUCH. This was the best christmas present ever and I'm not even joking.
    Now I just need to get an original copy of that...
    For sake of completion, here they are again in the Iron Throne compound.