Skip to content

This talk about new areas sounds exciting, but...

KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
With Trent Oster's recent interview on GameBanshee, he reiterated the new quest content and areas. I'm excited about this, but a main difference between Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 is the amount of NPC dialogue. Of course, mods such as BG1NPC did a wonderful job in expanding that. Is there any information out there regarding the development of NPCs in the first Baldur's Gate?

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited June 2012
    Unfortunately, Overhaul isn't allowed to give any old NPCs new dialogue except when interacting with new characters or situations in the new content areas. So BGEE won't have additional party banters for old NPCs to put them on par with the party banters of BG2.
  • KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
    Interesting. Are there any details on these legal requirements? Seems very strange.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    No details, we just know some basic stuff about the agreement, and not touching the original content is one of them.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited June 2012
    Its wonderful news that they add new areas/item/npcs!

but I still dont get why all the restrictions about editing existing areas,npc's,dialogs etc and they only allowed to add new stuff.. isnt enhanced edition is about enhancing old things, make them better, CHANGE them??

wierd
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    We need fresh news RIGHT NOW

All the interview is interesting but... we knew everything since 2 months

I want a screenshot of the GUI, or screenshot of the first minute of the game, in front of Winthorp's Tavern .That's all
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    @mch202 @Kenyon

BG:EE was made possible by years of negotiation with several stakeholders (more than there were at the time the original Baldur's Gate was released). All stakeholders likely want the original content to live up to the same quality that made Baldur's Gate a best seller and a classic. Therefore, everything Beamdog does undergoes a strict approval pipeline meant to ensure all changes to the original content meet the required quality criteria. Beamdog's contract probably also includes a bunch of clauses that prevent them for changing certain aspects of the game that are felt by stakeholders as vital to the quality and feel of the original, and should not be changed lest the magic is broken.

This is why any modification to the original content has to be pondered really well before it gets implemented. Implementing new stuff takes time, and wasting precious time on stuff that doesn't get approved all the way down the approval pipeline puts a hefty fee on the quality of the final product.
  • KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
    @AndreaColombo

Makes sense from a business point of view. Still, it must be frustrating for Beamdog to present an Enhanced Edition where they're legally obliged to keep certain (arguably pivotal) things unchanged. Nevertheless, I wish them all the best, and I for one will be picking this up Day 1.