Skip to content

Separate adventure mod?

Hi, quick question please...

If I invested time learning modding would it be possible to make a completely new adventure with new party members, unrelated to the main quest (kind of like a separate Never winter Nights Module)

In games like NWN and Dragon Age you have options to load other modules but I’m unsure here?

Comments

• CuvCuv Member, Developer Posts: 2,535
    What you are describing is called a Total Conversion. Yes, it is possible... but they are rarely ever completed because of the amount of work and modding knowledge involved. Don't want to discourage you though... if you have a good story idea... do it!
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    T'would require a team to increase likelihood of completion.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Do something that would be a little easier since you're a beginner. Do a mod that introduces new quests that is unrelated to the main story. People are always looking for quest mods.
  • Rocky2HardRocky2Hard Member Posts: 7
    I guess I'll start small then one day, well you never know...

Cheers :)
  • PaheejPaheej Member Posts: 126
    edited December 2012

Do something that would be a little easier since you're a beginner.

Agree 100%. Start off with small mods. They'll allow you build your skills, confidence, and perspective. Once you know what you're doing, know your limitations, and know the community then you can start to think about a Total Conversion.

I modded Red Alert 2 for about 2 years before hitting my total conversion for the game. It did well but it was only because I knew that game engine like the back of my hand and the team that I had handpicked were probably the best people I ever worked with in my entire life. And I work for multi-million dollar companies now . . .

So that said . . . do some modding - after a few months you'll know if its your thing. To this day the modding I've done for games might be the most enjoyable and proud moments of my entire life, I'd rank it higher than briefing generals, explaining advanced scientific concepts to the President of the United States, fighting in Afghanistan, and making $$$.

Nothing, I mean NOTHING; beats the creative thrill of designing, making, and completing stuff yourself.

Just my two cents.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    edited December 2012
    Total conversion mods will break you. I know this because I've been around since the modding scene started. I know of three of them at the top of my head. Two of them are part way done and haven't been worked on in years and the other one is a small TC and is complete.

The best mod for a beginner is a store mod. This type of mod will have you learn these basic steps related to modding in general.

Step 1 making a store clerk. This will teach you how to edit or create a creature (.CRE) file.
    Step 2 making a dialog. You will learn how to make dialogs (.DLG) for your store clerk. A store clerk's dialog file is generally simple compared to advanced dialogs like romances for example.
    Step 3 you will learn how to make or edit an item and/or spell (.ITM/.SPL). Your store has to have weapons, armors, spells or even potions right?
    Step 4 you will learn how to make or edit a store (.STO) file. This file is where you will add your newly created weapons, armor, spells and other items.
    Step 5 you will learn how to make or edit a script (.BCS) file. Well you need a way for your clerk to show up in the game world, adding him/her with an area script will do this.
    Step 6 and lastly you will learn how to make a .TP2 file (Weidu installer) so you can install your mod into the game.

All of these steps deal with the meat of most mods you find out there. Your best friend are tutorials written by modders that you will find at all of the modding communities out there. And it doesn't hurt to take a look at the mods themselves to see how everything works.

*Edit, my bad, four total conversions that I know of. Two have been completed.