Skip to content

wrong hostility for to-be party members?

carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
edited July 2013 in Not An Issue
What happened: I went psycho in the copper coronet attacking everyone indiscriminately, and Nalia, who I hadn't added to my party yet, started fighting everyone alongside me.

What should happen: She should attack me.
Post edited by AndreaColombo on

Comments

• kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    In fact she's a little upset that no one there help her even after she helped many of them, so i really don't see a problem in her taking your side.

What is a problem is each time a innocent marked NPC is hit by you everyone on the screen goes hostile, this is ridiculous, why would a beggar become hostile (and therefore a target) to an evil party full equiped? In BG2 when a Thief is surprised, the guards shoud be called to give main char a decent fight, and not everyone on the room go hostile destroying many potential quests.
  • carugacaruga Member Posts: 375
    In fact she's a little upset that no one there help her even after she helped many of them, so i really don't see a problem in her taking your side.
    I hope you're not serious.

• ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @caruga This should absolutely be fixed, Nalia obviously shouldn't side with some unknown adventurers and go on a killing spree of the townsfolk.
    Hey! I'm an attorney, it's my role to argue :)!

But in fact there's a mechanism in game that prevent the joinable NPCs of go hostile on the main char, unless some specific conditions are meet. If you observe Anomen and korgan too don't go hostile on you. If minsc and edwin are in the copper coronet atm you get an innocent npc hostile, they too don't get hostile.
  • WispWisp Member Posts: 1,102

But in fact there's a mechanism in game that prevent the joinable NPCs of go hostile on the main char, unless some specific conditions are meet. If you observe Anomen and korgan too don't go hostile on you. If minsc and edwin are in the copper coronet atm you get an innocent npc hostile, they too don't get hostile.
    Specifically, Nalia is explicitly scripted to assist the player even though she is not in the party. She won't attack the tavern patrons, though, just the guards and most of the named NPCs.
    edited June 2012

Specifically, Nalia is explicitly scripted to assist the player even though she is not in the party. She won't attack the tavern patrons, though, just the guards and most of the named NPCs.
    Well the fact that it's logical behaviour from a scripting POV doesn't make it logical from a human POV. The AI doesn't observe a 'who started it' concept; it should! The chain of events was: I murder some poor customer in his seat, the guards go hostile, Nalia attacks the guards... would be interesting if the scripting system could account for 'motivation', and examine the chain of causation and have to pass checks to go ahead. E.g. the presence of hostile guards contains a linked list to the previous events that lead to it; unless the list contains a node with an id of 'slaves_released' or w/e Nalia won't defend. I don't know how much of a departure this is from the current internal workings of the engine, though, or whether it would be feasable, or whether it even already supports such a concept.
    @Caruga, there's no guards in Copper Coronet, only security. They're all evil, working to a slaver and keep the slave pits and the brothel running. In fact they should not even care if i kill someone, as in places like that ppl are murdered every time. Yet they attack me, cos the engine scripts have some limits and they can't be configured otherwise.
    edited June 2012
    Yet they attack me, cos the engine scripts have some limits and they can't be configured otherwise.
    How'd you figure that out? And sure, there may be murder in a cesspit like that, but there's usually motivation... if someone simply whips out a sword and arbitrarily guts someone, who's to say they won't turn on the guards (or 'security'--how are those not synonyms?) next? Would you expect them to hoot and cheer me on, as a fellow evil-person? Someone that volatile would need to be kept in check.
    They don't give a damn to who lives or dies there, only if the order of the place is disturbed. If my act create a problem to the flow of money there, sure, they're going to attack me, otherwise they shoud not give a damn.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    This stuff is not an engine bug, but scripting issue. I believe modders could supply their version of behavior.
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    They don't give a damn to who lives or dies there, only if the order of the place is disturbed. If my act create a problem to the flow of money there, sure, they're going to attack me, otherwise they shoud not give a damn.
    They should question you and allow you to get away with it with a high enough charisma or with an appropriate bribe.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    I think I'll be moving this to Not An Issue, since it appears to be intended behavior (as in, expressly scripted to act like that).