Skip to content

Dread Wolves 1st Area Outside Candlekeep

HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
edited January 2013 in Not An Issue
LOL - Hey I don't mind it (good challenge) but I encountered a fricking Dread Wolf in the first area outside Candlekeep with my level 1 freshly minted PC, and Imoen. It was in the upper righthand corner of the map, east of the ambush site. Thing was worth 650xp but if I wasn't playing a fighter type it would have shredded me. (it hit me once anyway). I was surprised to see such a monster able to be encountered so early, but I guess there's other tough ones.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• XivirielXiviriel Member Posts: 166
    This happened to me! I exploited the shit out of its pathfinding an killed it with arrows. But boy oh boy did it take forever. I remembered the regular wolves being a challenge at this point! I can see how a dread wolf would destroy most parties at the start.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I think there may be a little more variability in what kinds of monters spawn in BG:EE than we're used to. I encountered a dread wolf fairly early on too (I think it was the wilderness area south of the Friendly Arm Inn). In another area I encountered an Ogre Berserker which killed me. Upon reloading, a gibberling spawned instead. I reloaded a couple more times (because damn it, I'm going to kill that ogre) and got an ogrillon and then a normal ogre, before finally getting another ogre berserker to spawn.
  • Dr_AtomicDr_Atomic Member Posts: 50
    I remember encountering a pair of Dread Wolves in the area east of Candlekeep back in BGTutu, so I'm not sure that this is a bug.
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,644
    @Dr_Atomic not really saying it is, was just surprising. I played the game for many years and never got one that early.
  • IncasIncas Member Posts: 38
    Not a bug. Can happen in BG1. It's a random encounter with a table of possible creatures. My experience is they used the same tables in BGEE, although i haven't encountered one single Winter Wolf in the Cloudpeaks.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    edited December 2012
    I wanted to say you are crying wolf, but yeah, there is dread wolf in the woods. It is in bg1 as well.
    So, i won't make this a bug. Also: spawns might become tougher after next patch (in new games).
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    I believe the intention was that you follow the road up to the Friendly Arm. Once you have 4 group members and go south to Nashkal the game opens up a bit more as to where you can go (you have more fire power). That said, I still clear the first map immediately when I play :)