Skip to content

iPad 1 not supported, why.

In the app store iOS 6 is currently noted as a minimum req. that means no baldurs gate EE for iPad 1 users! Is that really necessary and will this change anytime soon?
ST4TICStriker

Comments

• DretisDretis Member Posts: 3
    Got the same problem. I was so excited about this game on iPad. I guess i'll just have to play the PC version *sigh*
    ST4TICStriker
  • maxpayne69maxpayne69 Member Posts: 9
    This was probably just an oversight, as it was promised. In the meanwhile, if you're iPad is jail broken, you can try to spoof your iOS version, which I have done on my jail broken iPad 2 using 5.1.1, and I'm downloading it now. Just make sure to put the version back, cause it messes up the App Store. Bring up the BG:EE link in your App Store, then follow these instructions, go back to your App Store, and download. Or wait for the fix, up to you... http://www.ijailbreak.com/how-to/fake-ios-firmware-version-ios-6/
    ST4TICStriker
  • vanLudovanLudo Member Posts: 2
    thx for the feedback but i am not planning on jailbreaking my iPad.
    ST4TICStriker
  • WolfheartWolfheart Member Posts: 170
    Might be due to the out of memory errors it had?
    ST4TICStriker
  • CraigMooGaCraigMooGa Member Posts: 12
    I think they will try to post-patch in iPad1 support. They just wanted to get it released ASAP.

Besides, if this struggles to work on iPad1, I can't imagine BG2:EE working on there.
    ST4TICStriker
  • DretisDretis Member Posts: 3

This was probably just an oversight, as it was promised. In the meanwhile, if you're iPad is jail broken, you can try to spoof your iOS version, which I have done on my jail broken iPad 2 using 5.1.1, and I'm downloading it now. Just make sure to put the version back, cause it messes up the App Store. Bring up the BG:EE link in your App Store, then follow these instructions, go back to your App Store, and download. Or wait for the fix, up to you... http://www.ijailbreak.com/how-to/fake-ios-firmware-version-ios-6/

Thx it worked perfectly, i'm downloading it !
    ST4TICStriker
  • AlexBiAlexBi Member Posts: 31
    I read some post on twitter by trent oster. Ipad 1 is frequently "out of memory" and crash and they can't resolve again (Ipad 1 has 256 Mbyte of Ram, ipad 2 and Mini has 512, Ipad 3 and 4 1 Gigabyte). Probably they'll fix in a future release
    ST4TICStriker
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Funny, I played BG1 on a machine with 32megs of ram, and 2MB video card. ;)
    ST4TICStriker
    ...and a lot of disk space to swap memory... Ipad don't swap..

ST4TICStriker
  • GriseldaGriselda Member Posts: 2
    Could you please add support for iOS 5.1, as it was promissed.
  • OdutilnOdutiln Member Posts: 1
    Can a dev comment on whether they're using iOS 6 calls? If not, when you next release can you target 5?
  • ThimGrimThimGrim Member Posts: 75
    "Pathetic"- the only word you need to describe Overhaul.
    shtkck
  • ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    ThimGrim said:

"Pathetic"- the only word you need to describe Overhaul.

Thanks for your helpful insight in solving this problem!
    What problem? That BG doesn't work with ipad 1? And how YOU want to solve this problem?

edited December 2012
    Retry...
    The problem is MEMORY. Non IOS.
    MEMORY
    MEMORY.
    They say MEMORY every time.

Is obvious that they use IOS version to avoid installation on Ipad 1 (that cannot install IOS 6)

if they will find a fix surely they will remove IOS limit...
    ST4TICStrikerSpace_hamster
  • AeolusdallasAeolusdallas Member Posts: 2
    I bought this on iTunes as soon as I saw it was released. I was assured here last week that it would work on my iPad 1. But not I have bought it and I can't install it. Are we going to get a refund or are they going to fix this soon?
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The iPad 1 incompatibility is a memory issue, which they are working on. So if they can fix the memory issue, it should work fine on the iPad 1. (But don't take my word on that; I'm just speculating based on what I've read in these threads)
    AlexBi said:

Retry...
    [...]

That's not the problem... The problem is "BG will work on ipad 1" or "we have small problems"- but at the end Overhaul serves us game that doesn't work. I doesn't care "why" or "how"- that's not me who should care about that. Earlier, they also had problem with size of BG for ipad- they didn't solved it, they just made game much bigger. If you think they will fix problem with memory then you are dreaming. Just look at the PC version- they even had problem with releasing PC version! And when they released it- it didn't work for most people. So they were pathing game one day after release (or even same day)- game still doesn't work like it should. And of course- languages and translations- "it will be at the end of the week". Yeah, today is Friday.

Best wishes to all in Overhaul,

• DalohnDalohn Member Posts: 2
    Weekend is ruined. So much waiting, refreshing twitter every five minutes... Shame on you, Overhaul.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Yeah, they are kicking back in their offices laughing at you poor sods...they planned this all along...

C'mon. They have been busting their humps, trying to do everything in their power to squeeze this down into the iPad 1. Trent Oster has tweeted several times this week that memory problems on the iPad 1 were what was holding up release of the iPad version. They had a choice: release it now for the platforms that work, or keep it from everyone while they continued to work on the memory problems. Are you really so selfish that the latter makes more sense?
  • vkbestvkbest Member Posts: 42
    No iPad 1

No spanish, french, german translation, etc.

So many lies from Beamdog.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Trent just tweeted the following;

"The version that just passed approvals is limited to iOS6. We still have to work on the iOS5.1 iPad1 support and will update it when solid."
    Cerevant

"iPad1 will happen. We could only get 45 minutes between crashes due to running out of memory despite aggressive rework so we retrench "

(i 'm searching to discover why i'm wasting my time here... I have an Ipad 3!!!! :D )
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    ThimGrim said:

AlexBi said:

Retry...
    [...]

That's not the problem... The problem is "BG will work on ipad 1" or "we have small problems"- but at the end Overhaul serves us game that doesn't work. I doesn't care "why" or "how"- that's not me who should care about that. Earlier, they also had problem with size of BG for ipad- they didn't solved it, they just made game much bigger. If you think they will fix problem with memory then you are dreaming. Just look at the PC version- they even had problem with releasing PC version! And when they released it- it didn't work for most people. So they were pathing game one day after release (or even same day)- game still doesn't work like it should. And of course- languages and translations- "it will be at the end of the week". Yeah, today is Friday.

Best wishes to all in Overhaul,

Quit trolling or do your homework. The PC version worked fine for the vast majority, and continues to be fully supported. Even on Intel graphics, of all things.

There will be a patch for iPad 1 as soon as they're able. I don't know what else can be expected. The only fault I can find is in releasing too much information prior to release.
  • NathanNathan Member Posts: 1,007
    @vkbest no lies here, at least, not intentional ones. There's no malice or anything behind what we're doing and what we've been doing. We're a new, small company, doing our best to keep this ship on course.

This game as a whole hasn't been the smoothest launch ever, but it also hasn't been the worst. For our first major release... needless to say we've learned a lot of lessons. We've tried our best to be transparent thoughout the whole development and release process, but, apparently that's caused some grief and hurt feelings on the part of some.

All we can do is apologize for the temporary inconvenience brought out, and promise this: things will be a heck of a lot more smooth for BG2:EE.
    Anton