Skip to content

[Request] More interactive Strongholds

BorracheiroBorracheiro Member Posts: 4
I loved the stronghold idea in BG2, but it could have more interactivity!!!!!

For example, paladins could have some kind of rank in the Radiant Heart Order that grants him access to different stuffs, like spells or even a title. And be able to actually have a room in the Order's building.

The warrior could be able to really manage the De’Arnise Stronghold and become a real lord, having to recruit soldiers and making trading deals with local lords. He could be able to recruit different NPC's into the stronghold, like a captain of the guard or a bard!

Well, more Strongholds Quests would be wounderful!!!

Comments

• DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    The d'Arnise keep quests are already pretty good, you get the freedom to tax the hell out of the peasants if you want, and recruit a cleric of Tempus for your shrine, plus you have several matters from the land to take care of or oversee. No complaints about that.

The paladin stronghold though is exactly the other end of the spectrum. You don't even get the option to rest in your own room (whereever it may be) and the quests are uninspired and lackluster, culminating in a quest you've probably already done.

Meanwhile, the Thieves guild is a nice little minigame, though I can't recall if there were more sidequests aside from the handling of your minions, it's been a while.

Anyway, bottom line, maybe review some of the strongholds when BG2:EE is in production, but I feel most of them hold up pretty well as they are.
  • SaberstormSaberstorm Member Posts: 60
    The d'Arnise keep quests are already pretty good, you get the freedom to tax the hell out of the peasants if you want, and recruit a cleric of Tempus for your shrine, plus you have several matters from the land to take care of or oversee. No complaints about that.

The paladin stronghold though is exactly the other end of the spectrum. You don't even get the option to rest in your own room (whereever it may be) and the quests are uninspired and lackluster, culminating in a quest you've probably already done.

Meanwhile, the Thieves guild is a nice little minigame, though I can't recall if there were more sidequests aside from the handling of your minions, it's been a while.

Anyway, bottom line, maybe review some of the strongholds when BG2:EE is in production, but I feel most of them hold up pretty well as they are.
    no conseqences (argh how do i spell that) for taxing the peasents max? never tryed that being a good character and such
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    There are consequences. If you get your people mad enough they'll revolt and you will lose the stronghold.
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    I love the idea of strongholds and found them to be one of the bigger disappointments of BG2, altho as you guys have mentioned, some of them are more fleshed out than others... I wish there were more reasons to return more regularly tho, and perhaps something unique there to make you wanna return more often to just hang out.

Ideas:

-more unique party banter that only happen inside the stronghold.

-ability to change dye/color on your armor inside your stronghold.

-a stronghold-based crafter similar to Cromwell that takes a while to finish his work so you'll have to place an order, then leave and come back at a later time to pick up your item.

-ranger stronghold should come with an animal companion! (perhaps a choice of a few animals, and you'll have to charm the one you wish to keep, at the moment there is just the Cerberus dog statue, I'm thinking more along the lines of a real animal that follows you after you charm it permanently)

-perhaps unique characters/servants in your stronghold that you can speak to while there (with new dialogues on every new visit), maybe add a potential romance that takes place at the stronghold.

-able to spend money to add things to your stronghold (new rooms, a basement level, more containers, decorations, different room themes, etc.)

Etc.
  • LindeblomLindeblom Member Posts: 257
    I made a post about a house in BG1. I loved the idea until me and some others realized...........we are on our way to become gods.
    Irenicus has my (according to the game) best and oldest friend and we are desperately trying to free her.
    Bodhi and her vampires are around every corner.
    I would LOVE each and every thing that gives more interaction with NPC's and more decisions for the PC, but as someone pointed out, you would lose some of the urgency that the game actually gives.

I liked all of the above ideas, but I think maybe not =)
  • WinthalWinthal Member Posts: 366
    @Lindeblom weeell, that sense of urgency varies depending on your character/alignment and his or her attachment to Imoen though... I think this could be about as easy to justify as going on a gazillion side-quests inside Athkatla before recruiting Saemon and going after Imoen in spellhold.
  • BorracheiroBorracheiro Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2012
    @Lindeblom the game already has a lot of side quest,but they don't lose the urgency of the game.

but okay, the stronghold could have a bigger role in the mais quest.. like an attack of Irenicus to The d'Arnise keep to have a point to keep it..

i liked you ideas @Winthal specially the unique characters to speak to

edited June 2012
    @Lindebolm and don't forget that your character doesnt know that he will become a god..
    hmm i think a cool idea would be to have the option to have a army of your soldiers/wizards (stronghold class dependent) go offscreen and clear a cave/dungeon that is (too) far away (for you) and bring you the treasure (special magic items/gold).

it would be a gold investment :

-you need to have trained them enough. (light training 100 gp meduim training 500 gp heavy training 1750 gp)
    -supplied them with weapons/ armor (light armory 500 gp meduim armory 1000 gp heavy armory 3000 gp)
    -perhaps send them on lighter missions first (gain exp)
    -recruit more soldiers? if yes invest in recruiting OR find soldiers/recruits scatterd accross the worldmap

this would mainly be a kind of "text adventure" but it i'd like it.
    perhaps a cool text report of how the assault went (variable for each class stronghold)

big advantage that it is easy to implement/add, since there was already such a thing in the form of the fighters stronghold had you manage the taxes and other things.
    i think there was a quest like this... a "text adventure"
    i think the quest was to protect a trading caravan that was being attacked by some bandits...

but i agree with the army option.. and more quests..

@Saberstorm but i hope that, with the new tecnology, the attack on the cave/dungeon you mentioned could be playable, like the attack on Bodhi's lair that we have the help of Drizzt and other.. not only a "text adventure"
    we should have strongholds in BG1 too!!! even if it is a small one
    it would be just a step too much away from the originel. Altough i do like more content.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    closest we have is a room in one of the inns.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    What can be better as to start your everyday adventuring from the view out of a great cave with a huge opening and a secret passage to the lowerentrance. Somewhere located in central cloakwood with an assigned short quest "kill these creatures" as a bonus.
    What can be better as to start your everyday adventuring from the view out of a great cave with a huge opening and a secret passage to the lowerentrance. Somewhere located in central cloakwood with an assigned short quest "kill these creatures" as a bonus.
    hmm good idea. not a castle but a cool hideout 'stronghold' idea agree+1
  • ScooterScooter Member Posts: 182
    Probably a little bit farfetched but I always found it a little strange that you couldn’t recruit allies from your stronghold to help when you invade Bodhi’s lair a la Drizzt etc. I suppose this may only apply to certain stronghold but I feel its logical because you’re trying to recruit “allies” who has a better allegiance to your character than lose in your stronghold? Its also been mentioned on another thread how fewer ally options there are for evil character in that respect so that may tie in well.
    Another idea may be, since you’ve been given the stronghold (for most of them) due to your experience, maybe there could be more of a ‘mentoring’ role/quest implemented similar to the mage apprentices, in some of the strongholds. Like given advice to a young wanna be adventurer/ranger in imnesvale or young thief or helping train soldiers at De’Arnrise or something?
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    Probably a little bit farfetched but I always found it a little strange that you couldn’t recruit allies from your stronghold to help when you invade Bodhi’s lair a la Drizzt etc. I suppose this may only apply to certain stronghold but I feel its logical because you’re trying to recruit “allies” who has a better allegiance to your character than lose in your stronghold? Its also been mentioned on another thread how fewer ally options there are for evil character in that respect so that may tie in well.
    There's nobody in your stronghold who is powerful enough to have even the slightest effect on the outcome of the battle. Drizzt is level 16, Arkanis Gath from the Shadow Thieves and the paladin from the Order are both around that level as well, which is about the level you are when you storm in there.

You could take your butlers and level 2-3 household guard from the Keep or your level 3-4 thieves from the thieves guild, your dead level 3 apprentices from the Planar Sphere or your...nothing from the Ranger cabin, but they'd just be in the way.
    hmm you are making me think of the little tree forts that kids make.

edited June 2012
    A treefort sounds also cool but remember it´s very vulnerable to fireattacks. Being you upthere while enemies set it straight with a fireball....bhaalspawnbarbeque
    hmm you are making me think of the little tree forts that kids make.

no, think more in direction of the bat cave :P
    I´ll do that cave area and finish the complete render (so useable) on sunday evening my time and showcase what I have exactly in mind then;)
    could we put the tree fort on top of the cave?
    a cavetreefort:D
    @Drugar yeah thats true I guess
    no! a cave on top of the tree! less obvious! :P