Skip to content

Dude, where's my Gnoll Stronghold Cinematic?

And now that I think about, my Nashkel cinematic with the kobold? I thought they were being replaced with new footage, not removed! I realize that Overhaul is trying to give it a new style, but maybe actually completing all the artwork before removing the older (and better) movies would be a better way to do things.

Comments

• DaelricDaelric Member Posts: 266
    You're right... there was a gnoll stronghold cinematic...

awwww....
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I don't need a gnoll stronghold cinematic (a new one, that is) until something gets done about the gnoll stronghold itself. A way to delve inside it would be a good thing, I think--at which point a new cinematic that reflects its [accurately] daunting nature would be appropriate.
  • Wikkid_SuhnWikkid_Suhn Member Posts: 136
    That's kind of a separate issue, as that would constitute adding content while I'm sort saying that content was removed. Interesting idea though.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I guess if I'm honest, I also prefer the old cinematics, because they had more content. The new ones seem diminished in a lot of aspects, and many are just totally left out.

It looks like to me that the devs had bigger plans to upgrade them, but had to abandon those plans when they started to realize what a monumental enterprise they had taken on with the engine rebuild.

They were expecting a hurricane, but instead they got the Great Spot of Jupiter. So they had to re-prioritize their plans and goals in order to survive and bring out a playable game.

I am abolutely sympathetic to what has happened, and I wholeheartedly am satisfied with the result. Like many others, I was dreaming of warp travel to the stars, but I'll settle for this moon landing.
    I get that. I am fine with the new cinematics, it just needs to be complete. I would have preferred the old cinematics for launch, and then later down the line a download with all the new footage. All of it. It became very clear the effect those old videos had on the Baldur's Gate "experience" when they were left out of bgee.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700

I guess if I'm honest, I also prefer the old cinematics, because they had more content. The new ones seem diminished in a lot of aspects, and many are just totally left out.

It looks like to me that the devs had bigger plans to upgrade them, but had to abandon those plans when they started to realize what a monumental enterprise they had taken on with the engine rebuild.

They were expecting a hurricane, but instead they got the Great Spot of Jupiter. So they had to re-prioritize their plans and goals in order to survive and bring out a playable game.

I am abolutely sympathetic to what has happened, and I wholeheartedly am satisfied with the result. Like many others, I was dreaming of warp travel to the stars, but I'll settle for this moon landing.

Umm... Are you high? :D
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    I keep seeing the Gnoll cinematic being brought up when there's a lot of others missing too... what spesifically made this one so magical? I barely remember it existing, the ones that usually spring to my mind are (not because they're great but because I saw them many a time) Nashkel, Beregost and that wyvern one.

... I had a look at it just now. There's some stairs, a prisoner hole and an empty-looking stone fort.
  • Raziel_HasturRaziel_Hastur Member Posts: 10
    I also realized the intro cinematic has some dialog cut from it as well as the missing cinematic for Beregost and the Gnoll Stronghold.
  • XivirielXiviriel Member Posts: 166
    Went back and watched the origonal cinematics today. They may not have had the best textures, but damn they were awesome. They fit the game perfectly! The first one made you want to jump right in and find out what that evil dude in armor was all about and why he was chucking a knight off a roof!
    The end clip made you think OH SHIT! Here comes game number two! It was one of the best open endings in a game I have seen, well in 14 years.
    The new clips are not fitting with the game at all. Plus, if you hadn't seen the old clips you would have a hard time understanding what is going on. They look like they were made as a high school project for an Adobe class...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    I did miss the one with the kobold, but to be honest I don't really remember any of the other cinematics (the old ones). I just remember the kobold one at the end because it made it all sneaky and kind of sinister. I honestly didn't miss the ones that I did. But if they could have added more cinematics, well, that would have been nice.

I think it'd have been nice to add new cinematics that weren't there either. I mean I love the new artistic version they have in the cinematics and I think it would be fascinating to use one to introduce running into Elminster or Jaheira and Khalid or other key parts/characters in the game.

But maybe that would have been more jarring.
  • RaventigerRaventiger Member Posts: 17
    @Shandyr

hmm, I still haven't completed the game yet so I'm staying away from some of those movies in case of spoilers to the story. Having said that, thank you for posting these movies I'll be sure to go through them once I've eventually completed the game.

I keep seeing the Gnoll cinematic being brought up when there's a lot of others missing too... what spesifically made this one so magical? I barely remember it existing, the ones that usually spring to my mind are (not because they're great but because I saw them many a time) Nashkel, Beregost and that wyvern one.

... I had a look at it just now. There's some stairs, a prisoner hole and an empty-looking stone fort.

It gives the sense of infiltrating a compound and pulling a rescue mission. After traveling through two areas and what amounts in-game as a couple of days (I think), it's the intake of air before plunging in. I think it's a well-placed cinematic that effectively immerses you in the game.
  • mister_ennuimister_ennui Member Posts: 98
    edited December 2012
    If you want the old cinematics back in the game (including the ones that weren't remade for BG:EE), you might find the mod detailed here useful:

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8193/getting-the-original-movies-in-enhanced-edition#latest

http://www.shsforums.net/topic/55573-bg-ee-classic-movies/
  • Awong124Awong124 Member Posts: 2,643
    The new cinematics look like they're from a browser flash game.
  • LuthoreLuthore Member Posts: 43
    The best part of the videos of old was Tiax's remix during the end credits. Seriously wanted to nostalgia the fuck out on that shit in BGEE... son, i am disapoint.
    @mister_ennui Thanks for the link!