Skip to content

Baldur's Gate: ADORABLE Edition! (Alt. style portrait pack--WIP)(# of Portraits Complete: 5/94)

LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
edited December 2012 in Fan Creations
So I'm working on making a portrait set for BG:EE in a cute, simple, cartoony style. I'd like to see how it affects the mood of the game. I think they might be good for more....light-hearted playthroughs. Or just for when you're in the mood for 'toons. I've held off on posting it until all the sketches were done. The set will contain 94 portraits in all:
-60 NPC portraits. 2 for each NPC, one based on their pose and expression in their original portrait, and one alt. Jaheira, Imoen, Viconia, and Edwin will all have three total portraits--for those of you who like Vicky, Immy, and Jaheira's BG2 designs better, or prefer Edwin to be more lore-accurate.
-34 PC portraits--because with a departure THIS radical from the original portrait style , it would just look rather out of place for CHARNAME's portrait not to be in the same style as the others. 14 of them are done in the same way the NPC portraits are, based on the portrait choices in the original BG1. The other 20--10 female, 10 male--are based on CHARNAMES of mine that I have either played in the past or plan to play in BG:EE. I tried to get a good variety of classes and races in the PC portraits.

I've finished one portrait so far, to give you an idea of what they might look like when they're finished. It's currently at twice the size it needs to be, I'll resize it later.

Photobucket

This one is Imoen's first alt. I may or may not end up recropping this one because I'm a little put out by all the blank space at the top.

Anyways, since I kind of want some feedback, I'm going to go ahead and show you the other 93 sketches. Scaled down, of course.

Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Work on this will probs begin in earnest after finals are over. I can post the finished portraits here as I complete them (the enlarged ones, of course--I'll probably be resizing them all at once at the end).

Please let me know what you think! Feedback is greatly appreciated~

Post edited by LadyEibhilinRhett on
AranthysNukeninajwzJalilyloganultimaSapphireIce101AristilliusXivirielMornmagorJared4242PantaliondarthchairmarkthesharkPhilhelmCaptRoryjunk11DeeCamDawgbbearVissiousphoenixcljessewqbdeonovicAHFMagykDeviijaMedullaOblongatafpc1SophiaszbDebasersandmanCCLrorikonMalbortusArabus13SCARY_WIZARDTroikaSyntia13CerevantPoputtLaccehOssorywaardeniusBjjorickTuthBerconDelvarianCalmarMechaliburJairyannaAzureblazeAntonmch202IcecreamtubLordsDarkKnight185Boozilla[Deleted User]FoerthanMoomintrollSornQuartzlelag200LadyRhianPhyraxLuthfordsmartroadGrandeCZarelySinthasterThe_New_RomancezwadekLeezlSylphVittordeVittocmk24lolienRavenslightCrevsDaakLordRumfishmeaglothMoradin

Comments

• AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Hey, great idea, and I'm pretty sure some will love your portrait pack :)
    Your Immy looks great by the way :D
    Nukenin
  • thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188
    The sketches are pretty amazing. It's a really cool idea too!

One bit of constructive feedback that I just have to mention. The noses for some reason seem backwards. When I look at the portraits, all of the noses just catch my eye and seem like they need to be flipped horizontally. I'm sure it is just a style/design choice, but I had to ask what inspiration or reasoning you had for them.
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    That Dorn alt is hilarious.
    MornmagorMedullaOblongatamch202CrevsDaak
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    edited December 2012
    @thedemoninside Oh. That's the style. it's not backwards. Um. Here. maybe it'll make more sense if it's a little bigger. They look sorta like little music notes. see? The bottom thing is the sticky-outy bit.

Photobucket
    Nukenin
  • OurQuestIsVainOurQuestIsVain Member Posts: 201
    Overwhelmed by cuteness, I would totally play BG Chibi edition.
    JalilySophia[Deleted User]
  • SapphireIce101SapphireIce101 Member Posts: 866
    Oooh, so cutesy! I would use them all right now! Especially, Coran's because hes my favorite.
  • AristilliusAristillius Member Posts: 873
    With this portrait pack, only a evil playthrough will suffice. Good work! =)
    LadyEibhilinRhettMedullaOblongataDebaserSophia
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    edited December 2012
    ChibiDorn that failed his saving throw or received a critical hit wins.

Flawless victory :P

But overall, the cuteness is overwhelming! Well done :D
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327

@thedemoninside Oh. That's the style. it's not backwards. Um. Here. maybe it'll make more sense if it's a little bigger. They look sorta like little music notes. see? The bottom thing is the sticky-outy bit.

One million bonus points for "the sticky-outy bit".
  • ButtercheeseButtercheese Member Posts: 3,766
    UGUUUUUUUUUU~~ x3
    I totally SQUEAKED like Boo when I saw them x3

Are you going to upload these on your dA account, too? These totally need to be featured in the Baldur's Gate group x3

Also: Uguuuuuuuuu~
    LadyEibhilinRhettMedullaOblongatalolien
  • darthchairdarthchair Member Posts: 191
    This is probably the greatest thing I have ever seen! I want to totally swap all portraits for uber cute edition. I might even let Edwin in my party this time just so he looks like he just sharted in his robes. Win win win win win win win win win win win win win.

Did I mention win? Oh sweet Jesus! Please get these colored and epic-sauced! NOW!
    @Buttercheese
    I might upload the finished ones to dA. I usually don't upload sketches though, especially not ones on lined paper.
    Buttercheese
  • markthesharkmarktheshark Member Posts: 57
    These are really terrific.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Eee~ I love these! They're great! Adorawesome!
    ButtercheeseSophia
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    This should be combined with a GUI reskin like the one I saw in that thread a while back...
    Buttercheese
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    edited December 2012
    These are all sorts of awesome. If you want an installer when they're done, let me know.
    @Aosaw- I would totes add that onto my to-do list, but I have no idea how to even begin skinning the GUI :(

• phoenixclphoenixcl Member Posts: 31
    Too cute! Almost even makes the characters I don't particularly care for...well...likeable. Love Eldoth, Garrick, Jaheira, Rassad, Generic Human Male/Abdel, Skie, Faldorn, Shar-Teel and Safana in particular (actually I like ALL of them, but the ones I mentioned are my faves).
  • DeviijaDeviija Member Posts: 37
    So adorablez! I want to see moar. :)
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    I WANT TO SQUEEZE AND EAT THEM ALL x3
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    edited December 2012
    BG:chibi-edition ;) they are freaking cute..keep it up!
  • SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581
    Awwww they're adorable *o*!!
    I really like your drawing style, are you a cartoonist IRL?
  • MordeusMordeus Member Posts: 460
    The sketches look great, you've done the chibi theme perfectly. I'm curious to what program you are using. If you are using the adobe suite, then I recommend you doing these in Illustrator. They would look the best if you made use of Illustrator's vector capabilities. Rendering them as vector illustrations would give you a sharpened cell-shaded aesthetic.
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    I effing love your Kagain, and Tiax #2. TIAX RULES ALL.

Can't wait til you get them all finished! Awesome work.
  • DaedieDaedie Member Posts: 7
    I love your work. Looking forward to using these. :)
    edited December 2012
    Sophia said:

Awwww they're adorable *o*!!
    I really like your drawing style, are you a cartoonist IRL?

@Sophia No, I just draw a lot. It's not a professional thing though, just something I do in my free time. I don't think I'd want to turn it into a profession. I love it too much. Turning it into *work* would probs kill it for me. I sometimes do commissioned artwork, freelance stuff, but I don't get a call for it all that often. Probs because most of the people who like my art are just as broke as I am XP
    IRL I am a senior in college, English major. Graduating in spring. Going to be a law student next fall.

@Mordeus
    No I am not using adobe. I can't *afford* Adobe products. I'm doing this in GIMP. As for vector stuff, I stay away from that. I've tried several vector art programs in the past, and it's just so different from what I'm used to--I just can't seem to get the hang of it. Every time I try using one I end up spending a couple of hours trying to create a simple image, then pretty much getting frustrated and giving up.
    Sophia
  • BjjorickBjjorick Member Posts: 1,208
    i agree with ajwz, especially about the cutest pic and best neera ever. I hope maybe you'll do some of the ones for bg2 as well (at least aerie, pretty please?) and please keep us posted. This looks incredible.

btw, i actually like your jeheria, but she looks too nice for her personality, maybe give her some fire and brimstone in the background :P
  • TuthTuth Member Posts: 233
    All of them are so adorable, I would even use them for the whole game. This is just brilliant.