Skip to content

Tooltips on iPad?

GiolonGiolon Member Posts: 22
Is there any way to get tooltips to come up on the iPad version? I haven't been able to figure out how. Tap and hold seems to register as a "Right Click" equivalent.

Comments

• BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    I can't figure out a way to get tool tips either.
    I wonder why they haven't used the "Highlight" button to this function.
    Another solution could have been if they implemented a double tab on the icons to show tool tips.
    It's really going to put off people new to the series, the game is difficult as it is. It's an absolute essential feature of the game.
  • davemodavemo Member Posts: 147
    I have no idea what so many thing are in the game due to no tool tips. I'm guessing on spells. The tool tip slider in settings seems to make to difference. This is what I find most frustrating right now.
  • davebaumdavebaum Member Posts: 4
    According to the manual, tap-hold is indeed right click. There is no mention of making tool tips work on iPad.

The game is still loads of fun, but the lack of tool tips makes inventory management a bit tedious, and spell casting involves some guesswork.

It would be great if the game took advantage of multi-touch. There could be a "tips" button on the left side and when you press that button you would get tool tips for anything else you touch.
  • stephenstephen Member Posts: 1
    This is a terrible problem even at the first stages of the tutorial. I'd never played Baldur's Gate before, so I was going in blind. When Xan shows up to tell you how to use spells, he just says "press the spell button." There's no way to know which button on the bottom of the screen is the spell button, so I just sort of poke around randomly until one of them shows a different, also unlabeled toolbar. I jab one of those icons at random, and then Xan casts a spell off on some patch of floor.

I figure I'd got this, and then tried to use the other one on Belt, but missed somehow - I might have pressed the patch of floor just adjacent to him or something? Anyway, that expended his two spells, and there doesn't seem to be a way to reload him at that point, and there's no way to advance the tutorial.

Essentially, the total lack of tooltips is doing serious damage to the gameplay.
  • AlarianAlarian Member Posts: 8
    Yea, I have to agree. They really need something like the hint button to bring up a tip for each item currently on the screen. Until you memorize all the spell icons, it's going to be a complete pain in the butt to try and memorize and cast spells.
  • saguysaguy Member Posts: 4
    I am an Android user and I am certain we are going to have the same issue. I don't know, but I think this may be a deal breaker for me not having tooltips. There is no ways I am going to memorize every spell, button and ability. I was waiting for the Android release but I think I may just get the PC version. What do you guys reckon is it playable without tooltips if like me you have a lousy memory?
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Can't say it's a major problem. It doesn't really hinder the gameplay in general.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    Finally found it!

It's not as easy as hovering the mouse over a spell, but at least it works:

Select a character with spells, click the spell icon so the various spells shoes.
    Then click the "Help" button, navigate to the right in Help, and there's a short description of each spell. Actually more info than the old Tool Tips.

I have no idea why this isn't mentioned anywhere, but there it is..
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    When you get to BGII, there are so many spells, best just to memorize the symbols, takes a while but worth it.