Skip to content

Huge framerate issues on New iPad

Normally the game runs perfectly fine, but when there's an ongoing AoE spell on screen, the game slows to a crawl. I noticed it the first time I cast Entangle. I barely managed to finish that fight. Anyone else experienced this?

Comments

• AzoAzo Member Posts: 12
    Yeah I have the exact same problem. The game is unplayable because of this. *sad*
  • RafnerRafner Member Posts: 64
    Agreed... I mean I'd rather have them remove the entire spell effect and just put some kind of symbol on the game screen (not just the portrait) that shows that they are entangled.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Perhaps they can tweak that spell effect to make it errrrr less entangling on the CPU.
  • enakkienakki Member Posts: 5
    same here. after casting the entangle fight is unplayable. i dont think this cannot be handled by (even the new) ipad... look at the other games.. it is badly coded.
  • Flasche_PommesFlasche_Pommes Member Posts: 2
    I have the same problem.
  • iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    Moving the camera away from the scene normalises the frame rate though.
    Quite an annoying flaw indeed.
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    I just tried an entangle on Khalid to test....ipad 3....yes it does slow considerably. "Unplayable" seems an over reaction. I've always hated the BG2 entangle effect vs. BG1's anyway.
    Misleading, overblown thread title. Well done.
  • ReignmakerReignmaker Member Posts: 15
    I haven't heard of anyone who doesn't have this problem.

A shame...entangle used to be one of my favorite spells. I disagree with the person who said it is game-breaking. LOL. That's a bit of an overreaction.
  • AerethielAerethiel Member Posts: 17
    Framerate is also an issue on my new iPad. It is pretty a shameful since the new chipset is quite good. Pretty sure it has something to do with the Intel problem that plagues some players on PC. An upcoming patch will surely address this.
  • vkbestvkbest Member Posts: 42
    iPad 2 pretty smooth here...
  • ser_nnovser_nnov Member Posts: 5
    iPad3 has the same problem. Does anyone have an official comment about this "unplayable bug" ?
  • AppleApple Member Posts: 5
    Entangle and Color Spray seem to slow down the IPAD 3 framerate considerably.
  • Great_PalinGreat_Palin Member Posts: 8
    ipad 2 here. And yes, unplayable is pretty accurate. This is just one AoE spell, and a party of four. What happens when I have a full party and several AoE spells all going?

• iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934

ipad 2 here. And yes, unplayable is pretty accurate. This is just one AoE spell, and a party of four. What happens when I have a full party and several AoE spells all going?

At least that's great for making fancy screenshots.
  • Dr_MikeyMikeDr_MikeyMike Member Posts: 2
    Yes, I agree. Today, I tried casting 'entangle' and the framerate slowed to a crawl. Sad to say casting 'color spray' produced a similar effect. I hope there is a fix for this, and soon: I think this impacts the game hugely.
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Did we really need another thread on this? This has been reported daily since the release of this software last Friday.

We really need to get a "Known Bugs" sticky post up in this forum somewhere to identify this.

Any AOE Spell with a graphical effect is creating significant lag on EVERY iPad system, regardless of it's power or type until the AOE Effect wears off.
  • ReignmakerReignmaker Member Posts: 15

Yes, I agree. Today, I tried casting 'entangle' and the framerate slowed to a crawl. Sad to say casting 'color spray' produced a similar effect. I hope there is a fix for this, and soon: I think this impacts the game hugely.

Yeah, a fix for this definitely should be on the radar. Would be nice to hear a Beamdog person comment.

• NarekNarek Member Posts: 4
    For me it's only a problem when there is a character affected by the entangle. Whenever all characters are free and not standing in the are I see no frame rate drop. (On iPad2)
  • LazarusNineLazarusNine Member Posts: 44
    I notice the same issue with the 'entangle' spell. I wouldn't go so far as to say the game is 'unplayable', however. That said, it would be nice to have this issue addressed, as one would expect the iPad 2 (but especially the 4th generation) to be able to deal with these graphics without issue. Thanks otherwise for an extremely enjoyable game!
  • RapscallionRapscallion Member Posts: 81

I just tried an entangle on Khalid to test....ipad 3....yes it does slow considerably. "Unplayable" seems an over reaction. I've always hated the BG2 entangle effect vs. BG1's anyway.
    Misleading, overblown thread title. Well done.

I wouldn't say it's too overblown. I have an iPad 2 and when I entered the inn in Nashkel, Neira cast entangle and my framerate slowed to between 1 and 5 fps in my estimate. That is certainly challenging to play correctly with.
    Not with a pause button and being able to order commands while paused. I appreciate getting a pause could be problem in that situation but shouldn't be THAT hard.

Again, the bug is well known and well reported, even in a thread where we've had several posts by Trent already. It'll get fixed.

I also seem to remember (and it's been years so someone correct me if I'm wrong) that the original base game had issues when you cast AOE spells also...I seem to remember momentary pauses and jumpy screens with AOE Effects up and running (nothing like what's being reported for the iPad, mind you, but it was there).
  • popopopo Member Posts: 13
    I confirm this bug. I have a gen4 iPad and it slows to a crawl when entangle is cast.
  • GygaxianProseGygaxianProse Member Posts: 201
    @illdyth: yeah I remember entangle and others causing framerate problems on PCs from the getgo, especially w/o a graphics card.

So I don't think its a new bug, but a problem in the original code -
  • Great_PalinGreat_Palin Member Posts: 8
    Have the developers commented on this at all?
  • MoongrassMoongrass Member Posts: 4
    edited December 2012

Have the developers commented on this at all?

As Trent said on Twitter about this issue a couple of days ago: "the current renderer is less than ideal in terms of performance. BG currently does some horrible things in code"

That's all that has been said on the matter, as far as I'm aware; I've seen no indication that a solution has been found.
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    BG:EE slows down when Entangle is cast in battles for me on my New iPad to..
    But! - it gives me time to take a cup of coffee and then I'm ready for the next battle.

It's not fun. But I will survive.

BG:EE on iPad still rocks.
    The issue has been reported in the "Known Issues" thread which Trent is well aware of and has posted back to a couple times. So long as the devs keep checking it, I'll keep posting to it to consolidate issues for them.