Skip to content

[Request] Make better use of the existing sound files

ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
Going through the sound files in the WAV folder, I noticed there's a lot of them I never heard, and quite a few seem simply unassigned. One of the best examples I found is Gandolar luckyfoot - GANDOL.CRE has matching sounds GANDL01 and GANDL02.WAV, but these are unassigned. Or again, SORCED.DLG has voice-overs in SORCR01-3.WAV, but these sounds are unassigned. Now, I'm not sure SORCED.DLG is even used anywhere, but you get the idea.

A few other examples:
AMSO10.WAV - alternative death sound for amnish soldiers, unused
CORAN50.WAV - apparently Coran's death sound, unused

Sounds that are assigned, but never or very rarely heard in-game:
Most of Davaeorn's soundset, DAVEO01-9 isn't heard because the sounds are assigned to "Unknown" slots, yet he delivers juicy lines such as "Your efforts are futile!" or "Tremble before the might of my sorcery!". Maybe the engine could be modified so Davaeorn can say these lines while in battle, or something like that.

What I'm hoping is that the devs run some script to find all sounds that can't be heard in-game for a variety of such reasons, and figure out the best approach to make this content more likely to be enjoyed by the players.

The reason for the request is I love the voice acting in Baldur's Gate, there's precious little of it, so please enable as much of it as possible.