Skip to content

Can you add support for additinal mouse buttons?

upi00rupi00r Member Posts: 91
edited December 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
Can you add support for additional mouse buttons? (so player could have something like this for example: MB4-select all, MB5-pause, etc.)
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• MikkelMikkel Member Posts: 86
    I second this motion - that would be an excellent "enhancement"
    In the meantime, you can use this (donationware) software: http://www.highrez.co.uk/downloads/XMouseButtonControl.htm

I use it myself, but other than that I don't know it or its author, so use at your own discretion, just like with everything else on the Internet!

Set up a custom profile for baldur.exe (just run the game and choose it from the list), then put in {space} as a custom key for MB5, and it works! Let me know if you need more info :)
  • upi00rupi00r Member Posts: 91
    @Mikkel - thx, gonna check this out :)
    Did it work for you? I use it for all kinds of things, but your post made me think of using it for BG too (and it does)
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    @Mikkel
    Hey, thanks for the heads up. I'll bookmark this page. ;p and try it, after I get a copy of the game.
  • upi00rupi00r Member Posts: 91
    @Mikkel - yeah, it works (using 'pause' and 'select all' under mb4&5).
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140
    edited December 2012
    I use AutoHotKey. I highly recommend it. You can remap all of your keyboard and mouse buttons. I have the two extra button on the side of my mouse as well.

I use one as the Ctrl+J teleport hack.
    The other button I use in combination with WASD to navigate the map instead of the arrow keys on the right of my keyboard.

I also remapped things like the CapsLock key for "select all" instead of the = button. And the Tab key as the Enter button (just to skip through dialogue).

I really dislike having keys spread out on both sides of the keyboard, putting them all within reach of my left hand is great (that way I can keep one hand on the mouse as well).

I understand the desire for this feature to be coded into the game itself, but AHK is definitely an easy solution in the meantime.
    @PeteAtoms
    AutoHotKey looks quite interesting, though it's a bit more cumbersome to set up than XMouse. Still, it looks more powerful, what with the scripting language and everything.

Would you mind sharing your script for BG:EE ? I had a quick poke around, and got it to work ok with my mouse buttons, but I'm hardly an expert at it, and would like to see if I'm going about it right, or if there's a more elegant solution than what I came up with (I feel there should be).
  • PeteAtomsPeteAtoms Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 140
    edited December 2012
    Mikkel said:

@PeteAtoms
    AutoHotKey looks quite interesting, though it's a bit more cumbersome to set up than XMouse. Still, it looks more powerful, what with the scripting language and everything.

Would you mind sharing your script for BG:EE ? I had a quick poke around, and got it to work ok with my mouse buttons, but I'm hardly an expert at it, and would like to see if I'm going about it right, or if there's a more elegant solution than what I came up with (I feel there should be).

Sure, let me know if there is anything specific you want and I'll see if I can do it (I'm hardly an expert). Mine script just looks like this:
    CapsLock::=
    XButton1::Enter
    XButton2::RShift
    >+w::UP
    >+a::LEFT
    >+s::DOWN
    >+d::RIGHT
    MButton::^J
    My CapsLock key does the same thing as =.

My mouse's buttons on the side are XButton1/2. So one of them I use to skip through dialogue instead of hitting "continue" or pressing Enter (like I said earlier, I like all the hotkeys on the left of the keyboard). The other mouse button replaces the right Shift. Below that, I have the WASD keys (when pressed at the same time as Right Shift or XButton2) will scroll around the map like the arrow keys do.

The reason I did this was so I can still type with the script running and by using the Right Shift, I can still make capital W/A/S/D letters with the left shift button.

Oh, and I actually have the scroll/middle button used as my Teleport key :p

And important thing to remember is that the keys do not nullify the ones they are replacing. The = button will still select all of my party and the directional arrow will still move my view around the map.

Basically you jsut have to put "::" between the keys you want to remap.

You can check the following link for more info on what keys can be remapped, or let me know if you need help (I may not know, my knowledge of programming/scripting is very limited).
    http://www.autohotkey.com/docs/KeyList.htm

EDIT: AHK is actually way more powerful. The script I provided is nothing :p There are lots of things that can be done that I still haven't figured out yet (because I'm so new to the scripting language and programming in general).
    Post edited by PeteAtoms on
    Thanks, yeah that was quite a bit cleaner than what I'd started doing, for future reference, this is my script file, the first line specifies that this only applies if the active windows is BG:EE

#IfWinActive, Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition
    w::UP
    a::LEFT
    s::DOWN
    d::RIGHT
    ½::Enter
    XButton2::=
    XButton1::Space