Skip to content

Subcategories

trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
edited June 2012 in Site Resources
I think it would not hurt to add subcategories at least to the "feature" category.
it is getting increasingly difficult to keep track of (even with bookmarking), as the new and new requests flood in, and some of the better requests might get lost while discussing the newer suggestions.

for example; subcategories could be- "visual/audio requests (or cosmetic alterations)", "Npc Request" "combat mechanic" "gameplay mechanic" "Kits and classes"etc

it's not the most brilliant example but i think such divisions would make browsing and discussions easier.

Comments

• KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    I don't think these forums are nearly busy enough to warrant splitting up sections yet. The way Vanilla works is good, and mitigates the negative impact somewhat, but I would leave it the way it is.

I'm not sure why you're finding it troublesome to keep track of though. Doesn't the unread message feature and bookmarking do everything you need?
  • CorianderCoriander Member Posts: 1,667
    I think we'll probably need to do that as more people join.
    Maybe, maybe not. You don't need loads of categories to run a forum and they can often be harmful.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    It really depends.

Look at the feature request section. Its been 4 days (?) and it already has 3 pages of topics and most new users won't be looking through all of them when they join.

Of course its also true that most requests are stuff that were transferred from reddit, so new topics will probably start dieing down.

I think the forum may need some new subcategories, its just a question of not going overboard.
  • HeroicSpurHeroicSpur Member Posts: 907
    edited June 2012
    @Kore: The problem is not the number of people, it is the number of ideas! Yes we need categories.
  • BoasterBoaster Member Posts: 622
    Requests:
    Cat 1. Items and Spells.
    Cat 2. Dialog, SFX, Voice.
    Cat 3. Modding.
    Well I always like to be conservative with the number of forum boards, that's all. I'm willing to concede that it might get to that point though. There might be other solutions to the problem but if there's enough activity then its cool :)
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    @Kore: i agree with other posters. there are many requests, some are starting to repeat (in one form or another). i think it's more of a matter of organizing things by breaking them into more logical groups. i find it is easier to comment on set of similar requests than to have very broad of discussions all in one place, competing for the attention at the same time.

of course i agree things should not go overboard with detailing the subcategories, but at least what Boaster has suggested would be good.

also i think developers would keep better track of forum activity, right?
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    I was thinking a new subdivision might entail these categories:

1. Gameplay Mechanics Tweaks (Advanced Options provisions and the like)
    2. Story-related (NPCs, encounters, areas, journal, Ulcaster secret door skeleton ring quests, etc.)
    3. Graphics, Sound, Software, and Hardware (GUI, animations, paperdolls, soundtrack, Hotkeys, etc.)
    4. Game Philosophy

#4 isn't worded properly though. It's supposed to delineate those requests involving things like Reputation, Alignment, Kit application, familiars... Maybe better dissolved into #1, not sure.

Mind you, despite the ease of navigation that such subcategorization might entail, it's also useful for devs to be able to see how one or the other type of request weighs with others...

As for how it would look on the main screen, the category Bugs would become "Game Bugs" (rather than forum bugs), and there would be a whited text line saying "Feature Requests" the way presently "Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition" presently is (removing that for redundancy) and in orange links the various subcategories.

True about repetition though. Many don't actually read what's there before posting- or decided to post anyway despite that there is a thread for the request already. This will only become exacerbated by opening the forum to a wider BG fan segment.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    I think its kind of hard to distinguish between 1 and 4. Though I can understand why you suggest some kind of separation (the meat of the Feature Requests involve those kinds of topics).

I think its simply inevitable that some repetition will exist. Its just a matter of ridericting the poster to the original topic talking about it.