Skip to content

[SIMPLE SOLUTION] BG:EE working on intel HD graphics based laptop!!!

chenapilchenapil Member Posts: 3
edited December 2012 in Windows PC (Archive)
OK, this one worked for me and it's really simple and I hope it will work for you.
Running on Windows7 64bit, with intel HD graphics. Core i5-2467 cpu.
My problem was that when I start the game I saw a white square in the middle of the screen and heard the game running. I could see the pointer icon and click around. If this is your bug maybe this solution is for you.

What I did is to change the settings on the baldur.exe file to "disable desktop composition". I have no idea why it worked but it did! So far game works fine. I also have no idea how I came up with this solution just tried lots of stuff ;)

For you technophobes I will explain how to do so step by step:
*Find the "baldur.exe" file. It's the file that runs the game. Through beamdog you can right click the game and choose "open game location". The default location will be in the program files folder of beamdog.
*Right click the files and select properties
*choose the compatibility tab
*check the box that says "disable desktop composition"
That's it!

I have no gurantee that it will work for you but it's really easy and worth the shot.
If anyone has any clue for why this simple solution works I will be happy to hear...

One last thing - I played for only like 10 minutes and havn't reached any impressive graphics or large areas yet so I hope it won't crash or anything.
I encountred one "bug" with it. When I moved to the desktop (alt+tab) and back the game like flicked and it was annoying. What solved this one was moving to windows mode and back to full screen (alt+enter)

Hope I helped you out, enjoy!

Comments

• sgwongsgwong Member Posts: 4
    This works for me. It solved the problem that I need to launch BGEE multiple time until it doesn't crash and run the game successfully.
  • ultcthultcth Member Posts: 4
    when I reach the compatibility tab I do not see the box for "disable desktop composition", and my file is named BGEE.exe instead of baldur.exe
  • JalilyJalily Member Posts: 4,681
    @ultcth BGEE.exe is the name of the launcher. The game executable is baldur.exe and can be found in Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\Data\00766.
  • chenapilchenapil Member Posts: 3
    I have a different installation then, no BGEE or luancher for me, only the .exe
  • DaywalkerDaywalker Member Posts: 37
    @chenapil
    Thank you so much! This worked perfectly for me! I use a laptop with windows 7 and intel graphics card and had the same problem as
    you ( white square in middle and black background) but your solution fixed it for me :)
    For all others: i downloaded the game and all patches via beamdog client. Baldurs.exe is in the sub folders and you can just continue as chenapil discribed . Good luck everybody!
  • WulfyWulfy Member Posts: 32
    I found this dramatically speeded up my framerates near the fountains and while spellcasting was going on, and it fixed my needing to activate fullscreen after launch.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Since this seems to work for many users, I've added it to the technical FAQ. Thanks!
  • sandstrom91sandstrom91 Member Posts: 3
    No alternate solution for us with XP?
  • KougaKouga Member Posts: 83
    The Baldur.ini file is in your Documents map.
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    Funny... I'm using intel graphics hd3000 with i3 2367 ultra book and encountered no issue whatsoever so far... I update my driver regularly. Perhaps old integrated graphic chipsets didn't work well...
  • theoricustheoricus Member Posts: 115
    Worked perfectly :) on i3 & HD graphics with latest drivers
  • CheOffshoreCheOffshore Member Posts: 27
    A step in the right direction anyway :)
  • hajimodottirhajimodottir Member Posts: 63
    You can't do that trick on Windows 8.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336

You can't do that trick on Windows 8.

You can still go into the desktop then through Windows Explorer on Windows 8.

• drmccarty8152drmccarty8152 Member Posts: 1
    Finally got it to work for me I was doing the launcher not the .exe file thanks for the info.
  • paulthepaganpaulthepagan Member Posts: 1
    For Windows 8: open properties of desktop icon. Search for baldur. right click, go to priories. Compatibility. Reduced colour mode
  • Dream_MakerDream_Maker Member Posts: 6
    I had some problems with the character circles and item highlights not displaying + some weird background display bugs but this simple thing fixed everything for me. Thanks a lot !
  • TzeiEmTzeiEm Member Posts: 4
    I have the steam version of BG:EE and there is no "Baldur.exe" file, just the launcher. And I've tried searching both manually and by using the search function, but nope. Luckily the game works on my main computer, but It would be nice to be able to play it with my laptop too. Oh and by the way, my gaming PC has Windows 7 and laptop has Windows 8, and I couldn't find the "Baldur.exe" in either of the computers...
  • JediMindTrixJediMindTrix Member Posts: 305
    Sorry for necro-posting, just wanted to say that I had this issue, and this solution worked.

Steam version launcher is called BG:EE ^
  • SassyGoldElfSassyGoldElf Member Posts: 73
    edited October 2013
    And of course I'm the only one this won't work for. OTL

Edit: What did work for me, however, was the additional code added to the .ini file. Runs like a dream now. Better than it ever did for me on any of my old computers.
    Post edited by SassyGoldElf on