Skip to content

Fallout 2: EE

OssoryOssory Member Posts: 56
I'm posting this in the Off Topic section as I realise it's hardly related both to this board and the Overhaul Games, however, I would love to see a polished version of Fallout 2 (and Fallout as well).

Baldur's Gate was never ugly for me personally. I mean I could play BG a year ago and I wouldn't find the graphics repulsive. I can't say the same for Fallout. Today, this game is simply disgusting graphics-wise, yet, at the same time, only Planescape comes close when it comes to plot richness and depth.

Comments

• ElizabethSterlingElizabethSterling Member Posts: 39
    edited December 2012
    There are already HD patches/DX8 filters/etc. for Fallout 2 as well as a long, rolling community patch and a number of mods. Fallout 2 isn't nearly as mod-friendly however and is still absurdly buggy for a game that has over a decade of community fixes added in.

Not to mention that... honestly? Fallout 2's gameplay mechanics have dated it quite severely. I still play it occasionally because the game is an absolute joy in terms of story, freedom and immersion and the called targeting is great but when battles can take up to half an hour each you've got something that's not particularly suited to, say, a port to tablets.
  • creator1629creator1629 Member Posts: 66
    Yeah it would be great to see an EE version, fallout 1 and 2 are classics after all, though I do play it from time to time, the "omg the graphics are so ugly" reaction only lasts a few minutes upon starting a new game, but after a bit, when i really get immersed into the game i do forget them completely.

@ElizabethSterling battles lasting half an hour each? which ones are you referring to, cuz I dont think ive had any battle come close to that length
  • State_LemmingState_Lemming Member Posts: 375
    A Fallout 2: EE would be a tall order, considering Interplay released it unfinished.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    As much as I love the first two Fallouts I have a hard time playing them. I've been spoiled by Fallout3 and New Vegas. They would have to remake the first two games using current 3d game technology to get me interested again.
  • XivirielXiviriel Member Posts: 166
    no
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    edited December 2012
    I really don't think Fallout needs an EE... if you want a visually appealing fallout game play 3 or new vegas
  • OssoryOssory Member Posts: 56

As much as I love the first two Fallouts I have a hard time playing them. I've been spoiled by Fallout3 and New Vegas. They would have to remake the first two games using current 3d game technology to get me interested again.

For me Fallout/Fallout 2 and Fallout 3+ are 2 completely separate projects. Kind of like Baldur's Gate and Morrowind/Skyrim (didn't much like Oblivion). I loved every single one of the new Fallout games, but Fallout 2 is simply classic. Also, I wouldn't mind 2d. I would just like to see it polished. Less pixels and more user-friendliness of the interface would do it for me ;)
    @Ossory Well at least you aren't like those NMA types. :P

Not sure I'd really call Fallout 2 classic in it of itself, the original left a far greater impression on me. Fallout 2 is like RPG junk food, you know it isn't exactly good for you but you love it anyway.
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    FO:EE's will no happen because of licensing issues. Trent said that they got scared away from FO.
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    Maybe they should ask the 'arrow in the knee' faction :)
    I rather have my lovely pixelerated FO1/2 than to rely on some promised remakes. There is still no game, which can beat the awesomeness of FO2. FO:Vegas was nice (love the soundtrack) but it just wasn't the highlight at all...once I got my sniper (either lock-picking or addon) the game became booooooooooooring!

Yet, I remember the pure evil Gauss-rifle ownage :D *sigh*
  • OssoryOssory Member Posts: 56
    valky said:

Maybe they should ask the 'arrow in the knee' faction :)
    I rather have my lovely pixelerated FO1/2 than to rely on some promised remakes. There is still no game, which can beat the awesomeness of FO2. FO:Vegas was nice (love the soundtrack) but it just wasn't the highlight at all...once I got my sniper (either lock-picking or addon) the game became booooooooooooring!

Yet, I remember the pure evil Gauss-rifle ownage :D *sigh*

Well, recently I started a H2H character IN F:NV- after a while it also gets easy but at least it was quite fresh ;) Also, hitting people with the Knock-Knock is fun ;D
    @Ossory last year I played through Fallout 2 with a H2H character, but would only use my bare fists. It was actually a lot of fun and not as hard as you might think. After you get the Better Criticals perk your hands become deadlier than most firearms.
  • AntonAnton Member, Moderator, Mobile Tester Posts: 513

The fallout IP is too "hot" legally right now. We're only interested in working with IP we won't be sued into oblivion over. While it could be possible to cut a deal on the IP, the fact it is in active development makes it less appealing. We would always be the "cute little brother" to the main Fallout project.

-Trent

source: Fallout 1+2: Enhanced Edition
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I'm trying to imagine Fallout without a mouse or keyboard....I can't.
    @Space_hamster Really? I can. Verrry easily. The game is generally pretty slow, and they weren't any particularly good hotkeys.
  • moopymoopy Member Posts: 938
    Fallout 2 in its original form was the enhanced edition.

Because it was perfect and wonderful.
    moopy said:

I liked the polished style (GFX) of FA:tactics though...but the game itself was rather crap. You spent like ages to gather and lvl a nice party only to get smashed in your face, cause the only enemy you were encountering in the endgame are robots. Ohh you can drive vehicle with some big badabum and stuff....

IN FA2 it didn't matter, what AC (^^) they had from wearing their PA or advanced PA....gauss >> PA. To the lesser the laser gatling wasn't that bad neither..if you had a character, who could wield and use it. (and the other stuff too..)
    All in all, even the lesser ballistic weaps were useful in the endgame..but FO:T made it impossible.

moopy said:

Wonderful? Yes. Perfect? Nooooo. Even if you leave out the bugs, there was a ton of content that was never finished to push the game out in time for the '98 holidays. Same reason why there are more talking heads in the original Fallout despite it being a much shorter game.
    look at the games today, they can't live without patches. Best example; Torchlight II - I assumed, the developer would have learned from Torchlight I, that patching a static file is difficult, so they had to provide always the fully updated file. (or they are just too lazy to do a replacement patcher)
    Part II didn't made any difference, every patch is only '1GB' just to replace the static data-file, I think the actual release is v10 measured by the release of patches, so 10GB only for stupid minor bugfixing = that's roughly the size of any game on the current market +5GB maybe ^^

Now take a look at older games, they were playable without patching even FA1/2..in all my playthroughs I haven't found a critical bug, that stopped me from playing. There might have been content that wasn't finished, but still not game-breaking. Same rule still applies to FA:T...

While I was playing DOS games, there wasn't even the word 'patch' invented :P ppl nowadays are just to convenient if there might be a bug...
  • Ronin13Ronin13 Member Posts: 53
    I find it interesting that FO1&2's bugginess was one of the design goals that Bethesda & Obsidian had in mind for FO3 & F:NV. I find it facinating that they met and exceeded that goal. :-/

(That's lighthearted sarcasm, fellow posters, I have played and love all 4 games. ^_~ )
    edited December 2012
    Ronin13 said:

I find it interesting that FO1&2's bugginess was one of the design goals that Bethesda & Obsidian had in mind for FO3 & F:NV. I find it facinating that they met and exceeded that goal. :-/

(That's lighthearted sarcasm, fellow posters, I have played and love all 4 games. ^_~ )

lol! made me smile :)
    But was FO1&2 really _that_ buggy or did I missed something? Can't honestly remember FO1, but I played the FO2 edition - I think it's still unpatched - and for another reason :(
    Cause it's hard as hell to got me the uncut US-version in Germany, without using illegitimate or pirating methods :) You really don't wanna play the stupid pegi12 german version..it's like a knuckle-punch right in your face and it got extremely cut and thanks to this, some quests weren't even doable. [or you couldn't even 'do it']

But I agree with FO3&NV = hehehe! Mine are kinda uber-modded & fixed.
    [Shitty Steam does even bother to release a very unique German version, but went lazy once the GOTY edition was out and New Vegas was left uncut..and using a proxy was just to painful and not really working. Else I guess I'd have re-downloaded it somewhere else and just replaced it, cause it's bought by me and I can't do a shit cause I live in such a freaking strange country with obviously even more strange laws]
    Ronin13 said:

You bring up an interesting point though, in my own personal bug experience New Vegas was the absolute worst. I think Fallout 3 might have been the nicest to me, a rare occasion in which the Bethesda game is the least buggy option in the series.
  • Ronin13Ronin13 Member Posts: 53
    @valky Yes, I have the GOG.com versions of both FO1&2 & even with the fan-made fixes still run into serious quest bugs from time to time. Nothing that renders the game unplayable, but still very frustrating.

For the newer games, one of the biggest problems with Bethesda's is that the larger the save file gets, the more unstable the games become. Since the save file growing in size is a natural consequence of *playing the game*, you'd think they would have worked very hard to eliminate this issue. Especially since it had been happening as far back as TES: Morrowind in 2002. :-/