Skip to content

Same IP address Multiplayer

My gf and I are trying to play a multiplayer game together. Naturally, as we live together and use the same internet, we have the same IP address. When either she or I creates a game and the other attempts to join it, the game will give the message to please wait seemingly indefinitely. I do not experience this problem when playing multiplayer with my buddy in California. Is this an issue for anyone else? How can I fix or otherwise get around this? Thanks all in advance.

Comments

• RookBartlyRookBartly Member Posts: 6
    Not just you. I have this problem when trying to connect to someone across town. I thought it was the port issue but I check to insure both me and my friend have all the ports opened.
  • RenulanRenulan Member Posts: 109
    Download Hamachi. It's a winner.
  • SoveriegnSoveriegn Member Posts: 54
    Renulan said:

Download Hamachi. It's a winner.

that is definitely your best bet
  • CragspyderCragspyder Member Posts: 28
    Well, if you're both on the same network, even though you have the same INTERNET IP address, through your router, both your computers don't have the same IP address on your network. Could you use the IP address of your computer on the network to connect to, like an old-school LAN connection?
  • LiberelliLiberelli Member Posts: 170
    yeah thats pretty much what hamachi does, i doubt you really need it if you're basically already in lan...
  • majinsnakemajinsnake Member Posts: 113
    @stopityouguys

Is it a wireless internet you are using provided by the place you live at?
  • biggboss83biggboss83 Member Posts: 4
    I think @Cragspyder is correct. You probably should be using the Local IP of the computer hosting the game. @stopityouguys have you tried that?
  • ObedMarshObedMarsh Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2012
    Here's how you do it...

1) go to the start menu in windows and type "cmd" in the small search field.

2) write "ipconfig" in the dos prompt window that appears.

3) look for your ip it should be something like "192.168.1.X" the X is the unique number for your specific computer. Your router will always have the number 1 at the end, the routers own IP is therefore always 1.

4) write down this address (you do it on both computers of course to get both local IP's) and use that ip when connecting in the game.

5) if you have trouble, try removing firewalls etc. see if it helps.

You don't need hamachi if your on a local network, just that local ip. Remember as you might get a new local IP when you reboot / similiar things, it can change, so just follow these steps again if it's suddenly not working.