Skip to content

Portraits

RaphaeRaphae Member Posts: 16
edited December 2012 in Fan Creations
(I apologize if this is not the correct place to post it, I will remove it immediately, if so).
I really like BG portraits, but there's always something missing (a drow male, a cleric, an half-orc, etc.)... so I usually upload some of my works in the Portrait folder.
Do you actually have some new portraits to use? My profile pic is a Drow Priestess of Lolth from my DeviantArt and anyone can use it, for example. :)http://hivangrosny.deviantart.com/#/d5njayz
Post edited by Coriander on
lolien

Comments

• KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    edited December 2012
    Check out this thread: http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/8413/bgee-custom-portraits-dropbox-lets-compile-them-all-here-1300-sets-now-with-soundsets-section/p1
    You can upload your pictures there, and checkout pictures of other people on one account :)
    Raphaelolien
  • AdanuAdanu Member Posts: 37
    YOu didn't post any threads that I can see, Kirkor.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    Yeah, sorry :P

Now it should work.
    Teflon
  • RaphaeRaphae Member Posts: 16
    @Kirkor thank you so much! :)
    lolien
  • AdanuAdanu Member Posts: 37
    That thread is exactly what I needed, thanks.
  • FatalFatal Member Posts: 54
    Seriously some one should compile all portraits into one RAR file and link it out for all
  • ScotGaymerScotGaymer Member Posts: 526
    edited December 2012
    Fatal said:

Seriously some one should compile all portraits into one RAR file and link it out for all

This is one of those seems like a good idea in theory things but in reality is a really bad idea.

The reason I say this is because every body's taste is different, and the portraits you might like someone else might think are terrible.
    Or you might not mind portraits that dont "fit" the BGEE style, and someone else wont touch non-BGEE style portraits.

Example in BG1/2 I used to use Amaurea's Portrait packs cos I found they were clearer and better (IMO) than the original artwork - so when downloading NPC mods and the like I only downloaded ones that had a similar style portrait (or the option of one).

For the record I actually like the "new" portraits in BGEE - cos they are higher res they are clearer, crisper, and much better. Well some of them.
    Coran (?) still looks stupid. Imoen still looks too old. A few others aren't great as well.

EDIT:
    Also @Raphae you should nudge someone at Beamdog/Overhaul to use that as an NPC portrait for Phaere. :-)
    @fitscotgaymer @Fatal Check out the thread suggested by Kirkor, it's very useful. @fitscotgaymer indeed, my name is "Raphae" because is an anagram of Phaere. :) I don't know if Beamdog/Overhaul would accept my portrait, hahah!
    lolien
    I don't see why they wouldn't.

They pretty much absorbed the BG2 fixpack from G3 verbatim into the BGEE. lol.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @fitscotgaymer You don't have to use any of the images in there; I think you'll find a big assortment of different styles, from photos of celebs turned BG to original art work. Don't knock it until you look around and see if any is worthwhile.
    edited December 2012
    @reedmilfam

What?

I never said I would...
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @fitscotgaymer - You said it was a bad idea because people have different tastes. My point was that people might find things they like and that they have the option to load or not.

You: The reason I say this is because every body's taste is different, and the portraits you might like someone else might think are terrible. Or you might not mind portraits that dont "fit" the BGEE style, and someone else wont touch non-BGEE style portraits.

My post was a rebuttal of your point.
    edited December 2012
    No offense but it really had nothing to do with what I said.

What the Fatal was asking for is one single download of ALL the different picture mods.

And I said it was a good idea in theory, but in practice it didn't work because of different styles and tastes which would render a giant download like that something of a waste.

What would be better would be a central repository of varying portraits that people could preview and download at their leisure, and by their choice. So they get what ones they like and want and dont waste their time or bandwidth with pictures they dont.

Just my opinion tho.
    sandmanCCL
  • FatalFatal Member Posts: 54
    I get what your saying, but my idea was so that we dont have to go to all these sites and down load the ones we want, Even if they are portraits that you hate in this RAR file, just delete them. Might have your work cut out for you as you will probably go through thousands of portraits and keeping the ones you just like. It'd be fun still! =)
  • LadyRhianLadyRhian Member Posts: 14,694
    @Raphae Have you looked Cyzra's work? She does beautiful Drow as well. Like this one:
    Here is a link to her gallery:http://cyzra.deviantart.com/gallery/
    lolien
  • ScarsUnseenScarsUnseen Member Posts: 170
    @Fatal it's still a bad idea if for no other reason than that many of the portraits people are posting are cropped versions of copyrighted material, no small number which are ripped from Deviant Art users that tend to take offense when their material is altered or even hosted without their express permission. Better that one portrait being taken down by artist's request than the entire archive.

Still, dropbox is good for some things, but it does make for a lousy art gallery. Browsing through that stuff is sluggish work.
    @LadyRhian Awesome! So much attention to details!
    lolien