Skip to content

Dialog.tlk doesn't change in-game text?

MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
edited December 2012 in General Modding
Hey, I have been editing Dialog.tlk with both Near Infinity, tlkeditor and Notepad++. For some reason whenever I make a change it is visible in the Dialog.tlk file but not in-game. For example I changed the Bard Jester description from:

Advantages:
- The Jester's song does not help allies. Instead, it affects every opponent within 30 feet, and they must save vs. Spell with a -4 penalty once per round or be Confused.

To:

Advantages:
- The Jester's song does not help allies. Instead, it affects every opponent within 30 feet.
At levels 1-14: Enemies must Save vs. Spell with a -2 bonus or be Confused for that round.
At levels 15-19: Same chance of Confusion as above, plus enemies must Save vs. Spell each round or be Slowed for that round.
At levels 20+: Same chances of Confusion & Slow, must also Save vs. Spells with a -2 bonus each round or be knocked Unconscious for that round.

(above from Volothamp's Guide)

The original is completely removed from the dialog.tlk file yet for some reason it still appears in-game, is there any reason for this?

It maybe something obvious as I am new to modding.

edit: it doesn't matter if the dialog.tlk in the lang/en_us or the dialog.tlk in the data folders both have the fix in them.

Comments

• SarnindSarnind Member Posts: 256
    edited December 2012
    if u find a solution tell me, i have u same problem
  • AbelAbel Member Posts: 785
    Are you sure you saved the file? I don't see why it wouldn't work. What's the string number?
  • MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    @Abel, I am sure that it saved, upon opening dialog.tlk right now I can search and find the changes. The string number is 24305.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,196
    edited December 2012
    My game is telling me that the string for jester description is 25373.

edit: ok 24305 is also jester desc, that's weird but always use the string listed in KITLIST.2DA
    I guess there's a string for the description @ character creation and another one for the kit description in game. So, try Pecca's solution modifying both.
    actually the string 25373 is used both in game and at character creation. I have no idea what the other string is for.
    Really weird. Since it's lower in number it may be a leftover of ToB.
    In ToB it's 25219, so it's something else.
  • MurrayConfederacyMurrayConfederacy Member Posts: 188
    Thanks for the help, I got it working. I agree with the weirdness of the string, perhaps it is like what some of the .2da files are and are just supposed to be what it is "supposed" to look like.
  • GreenerGreener Member Posts: 430

Thanks for the help, I got it working. I agree with the weirdness of the string, perhaps it is like what some of the .2da files are and are just supposed to be what it is "supposed" to look like.

I'm having a similar problem, how did you get it working?