Skip to content

The two character in-app

AlexBiAlexBi Member Posts: 31
Ok. Probably i'll buy for support, but the price in-app of neera and dorn is 50% of full game! Before start the campaign i would like to know your opinion (so i buy now or never)
Are so exceptional and interesting this two character to justify the price?

Thanks for the answers...

Comments

• PlasticGolemPlasticGolem Member Posts: 98
    I can't comment on their quality, but I can tell you why I decided not to buy the add-on content. $10 is not really a lot of money if you think you would enjoy the content, but I don't believe that the extra content will add much to the game. Having two fully-realized BG2-style characters in BG1 will just draw attention to the fact that all the other characters are rather flat and cardboard-like. In BG2, there were a lot of new NPC mods. Many were interesting and high-quality, but I usually ended up not using them because they didn't fit in: there was always something about them that made it obvious they were pasted in afterwards. Kelsey was the only one that came 95% of the way to being as though he was always there from the beginning.

I looked at the portraits, but they also don't fit. The artwork is good in and of itself, but it doesn't fit with the look and aesthetic of the rest of the game. Also, your character is supposed to be 20-years old, naive and cloistered. All of the portraits look like older characters who have seen their share of the world.

The Black Pits I skipped on because I find there is already so much to do in the original game that it throws off pacing, and the fact that it is reportedly very combat-heavy makes it sound like another ToTSC style add on: Durlag's tower is a good adventure in its own right, but the rest I have usually skipped because they were basically meat grinders.
  • SarthosSarthos Member Posts: 31
    edited December 2012
    I bought the DLC to show support and encourage them to proceed with BG2. With the DLC it's the same game as the PC/Mac version, so the total cost is about the same.

The new characters make the game feel a bit more like BG2--which is not IMO a bad thing.

As for the Black Pit, it's a quick standalone game that doesn't affect your main party. It's a fun place to practice combat and get used to the controls. You end up at about the same XP as at the end of BGEE.
    Post edited by Sarthos on
  • IllydthIllydth Member, Developer Posts: 1,641
    Note: The "true" cost of the game is $20 - See the PC. The $10 price tag for the app store is a calculated number that makes the game NOT out of everyone's "price range".

You don't see many apps on the app store for more than about $5, even fewer for over $10, and then if it's over $10 people start thinking twice about picking it up.

It wasn't really going to be an option for Beamdog to price this at $20 as it should have been priced for the work and time they put into it...so they cut the two characters, portraits and sound effects out of the game as "in app" purchases, assuming that, at the end of the day, people would pay the full $20 for the full product just as if they'd bought it for the PC.

No opinions on whether or not the two characters are worth the "extra" money other than to say that you're not really paying extra...you got the game at a 50% DISCOUNT and are being asked to pay the full price by choice...you're not being charged base price for the game and then asked to spend more over the top of what the game is worth for add on content.
  • HellkiteHellkite Member Posts: 3
    I totally bought the DLC to show support and thanks for resurrecting FIFTEEN YEAR OLD DEAD CODE, adding 400 improvements (not like I counted) and putting it on iPad. The original game was what, $50? I'm cool with paying $10.
    D3V11_
  • Garrison64Garrison64 Member Posts: 72
    To begin with I bought it just to support them. When I ran into Neera I invited her into my party and it has worked out really well. She and my main are starting a relationship now and I like that. I like that she's unpredictable. I used one of her spells the other day and two cows dropped out of the sky. One killed the enemy and the other nearly killed my warrior but it was so funny I didn't care. I've had a few interesting things happen with her and it makes the game more interesting. I also used one of the new character portraits for my main. It fits him to a tee. Looks young and the armor pretty much matches what I actually have on my character. I like it. Everyone is going to see these things their own way. For me it has all worked out just fine.
  • LazarusNineLazarusNine Member Posts: 44
    I like the idea that I can play around with new characters. Neera is a great party member and I have yet to play with Dorn. I didn't bother buying the portraits, but I think the added characters are certainly worth it. They add a bit of pizazz to the story and I've certainly had my $6 of entertainment out of them.
    Speaking of Dorn

Please tell me he doesn't join the party "right away" when you meet him? I assume there's something you need to do first after seeing him for the first time in the Friendly Arms Inn? He keeps saying something about not being ready to join my party or something like that, and I'm afraid that even though I purchases the DLC, the system doesn't recognize I've done so and thus won't let me add him to the party...

I have assumed, up to this point, that the character Dorn wouldn't appear in game if I didn't purchase the DLC, it occurs to me, however, that this is one way they could handle the missing DLC (character is there but refuses to join the party unless you've purchased).

Help?
  • MurkveMurkve Member Posts: 12
    Hellkite said:

I totally bought the DLC to show support and thanks for resurrecting FIFTEEN YEAR OLD DEAD CODE, adding 400 improvements (not like I counted) and putting it on iPad. The original game was what, $50? I'm cool with paying $10.

+1. I bought the added content to show my support for what they're doing. If you enjoy the game - and want them to continue - vote with your wallet.

D3V11_
  • SamuelVargSamuelVarg Member Posts: 598
    Illydth said:

Speaking of Dorn

Please tell me he doesn't join the party "right away" when you meet him? I assume there's something you need to do first after seeing him for the first time in the Friendly Arms Inn? He keeps saying something about not being ready to join my party or something like that, and I'm afraid that even though I purchases the DLC, the system doesn't recognize I've done so and thus won't let me add him to the party...

I have assumed, up to this point, that the character Dorn wouldn't appear in game if I didn't purchase the DLC, it occurs to me, however, that this is one way they could handle the missing DLC (character is there but refuses to join the party unless you've purchased).

Help?
    If you see him in The Friendly Arm Inn - Yes. You will meet him later again and he will offer to join your group.
    Excellent, thanks for the info.