Skip to content

Additional Ankheg armour

I would like being able to have more than just one set of Ankheg armour made. Seeing as it's possible to sell more shells (for the laughable price of 500, that's 5 gold per weight unit...) after having the initial suit made one would think it would also be possible to make more armour; if one quest is repeatable, then surely others can be too. An example of that allready exists with the Winter Wolf pelts.

And yes, I know that there is one more suit of ankheg armour available and I know where it is. But I think if we go through the bother of lugging those heavy ankheg shells all the way to Beregost and paying the neccessary thousands of gold, we should be able to get more than just the two sets.

Comments

• thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188
    Might make more sense, but would also make the game even easier. Durlag's tower has a set of armor that probably would be much less needed if this change was added.

I think it's a limit just to keep the gear, and the game interesting.
  • PawnSlayerPawnSlayer Member Posts: 295
    Bear in mind there is already a second set of the armour in the game already. I never need more than that, though I tend to only use a couple of characters who can even wear metal armour.
  • LaughingManLaughingMan Member Posts: 65
    @thedemoninside How do you figure? IIRC the Ankheg armor is basically just full plate that weighs 25lbs. That's hardly broken or overpowered, as you can buy 2 standard full plate armors at the same merchant that makes the Ankheg armor, without having to wait for him to make it or go Ankheg hunting first to boot.

The lower weight is awesome, but it really just frees up more space for loot. It's a convenience item, not a power item.
  • thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188
    He only had 1 available for me, and i found another in durlag tower i believe.
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    The game has sort of a response to that: the smith says he could sell the armor for 20k gp to nobles (because it's shiny and green), and i suppose the piece he sold you was the one made of this material he produced so you got a discount because it's more of an experiment i guess.
    But other than that piece, all other ankheg shells are dedicated for those yet more profitable custom orders by nobles, so he isn't looking to do more business with you when it comes to ankheg armors

Unless of course, you want to buy another piece for 20k, which should be made an option imho. maybe even more expensive, like 30k.
  • RiolathelRiolathel Member Posts: 330
    What you are forgetting laughingman is the ankheg can be used on druids so it is indeed a power item..

granted there arent many druids to use it on unless you make a PC druid but still
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    if you had 3 druids in ankheg armors, it'd be a cheesefest i agree.
  • KirkorKirkor Member Posts: 700
    edited December 2012

@thedemoninside How do you figure? IIRC the Ankheg armor is basically just full plate that weighs 25lbs. That's hardly broken or overpowered, as you can buy 2 standard full plate armors at the same merchant that makes the Ankheg armor, without having to wait for him to make it or go Ankheg hunting first to boot.

The lower weight is awesome, but it really just frees up more space for loot. It's a convenience item, not a power item.

Actually, if you lookup the protection against damage (slashing, piercing etc.) of each armour - ankheg and full plate - you will notice, that full plate is MUCH better than ankheg one. You can check it on your caharters Record screen.
    Ankhegs profit is only that the characters with low strength can use it (for example Viconia). Other than that, full plate is better choice.
  • LaughingManLaughingMan Member Posts: 65
    edited December 2012
    @Riolathel Sadly not the case, according to the description anyway. If it *could* be used by druids, then that would be amazing (I'm starting to come around to liking Faldorn after all).

Unless it's just wrong in the description but the item is actually able to be used by druids. In which case I need to go talk to someone who's still wearing that armor at the moment.

I have noticed one other very nice aspect of the Ankheg armor, no STR requirement. Meaning it's effectively full-plate that Branwen can wear.

@Kirkor Whoa, are those AC modifiers actually implemented? I didn't think they actually applied in BG1.