Skip to content

Anyone like old style films?

WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
I LOVE old movies! My favourite is The Adventures of Robin Hood (1938).

Discuss your favourite oldies.

Comments

• WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    Come on guys.
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    I'm a sucker for Bringinging up Baby, or anything w/ Hitchcock or Jimmy Stewart.
  • WardWard Member Posts: 1,305
    @fuzzypuffin Epic. I watched an Elvis film recently, Speedway. It was pretty cool despite his movies having a reputation as being horrible.
  • KurumiKurumi Member Posts: 520
    Oh.. yes.. I especially love F.W. Murnau's Nosferatu and most Film Noir movies such as "The Big Combo" or "D.O.A. " etc.
  • eltonbarreleltonbarrel Member Posts: 262
    citizen kane.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    the Gold rush. Roll bread dancing is fun every time I watch it.
  • dragozadragoza Member Posts: 12
    The Charlie Chaplin's Collection... A Must!
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I'm a big fan of the 1926 film of Faust. The version I got has two soundtracks; the original, which is massively over the top and epic (not a fan); and a new one, which is just some eerie folk-harp.

I lovely love old Robin Hood and knights in shining armour- type films too though. I don't know many names.
  • Ronin13Ronin13 Member Posts: 53
    One of my longtime favorites is the 1950 comedy- "Champagne for Caesar" with Ronald Coleman & Vincent Price in one of his few comedic roles. It's clever, fun & insightful & oh my does Price chew up every scene he's in with delicious villiany goodness. :D
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168
    Captain Blood w/Errol Flynn! (I actually plan to watch Captain Hornblower w/Gregory Peck later today.) I've also been getting into Lillian Gish films in a big way.
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168
    Edit: Oh yeah, forgot my favorites, The Philadelphia Story and Casablanca.
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Metropolis. A perfect silent film.
  • ZanianZanian Member Posts: 332
    Cat Ballou remains my favorite movie of all time. I grew up with that one. Lee Marvin ftw.
  • EdwinEdwin Member Posts: 480
    7 Samurai. Yoshimo? That you?
  • MadhaxMadhax Member Posts: 1,416
    Yojimbo, Citizen Kane, Metropolis, and Rashomon are all some of my favorite all-time films. However, it takes some truly extraordinary quality for old movies to catch my attention, and I mostly watch newer stuff.
  • ZafiroZafiro Member Posts: 436
    Well, I guess I should say Hi!, long time no.. see, talk?, anyway, I can name a few; Arsenic and Old Lace, The Asphalt Jungle, The Killing, Rififi, The Treasure of the Sierra Madre, Sergio Leone's spaghetti westerns.. and so many others.
  • Ronin13Ronin13 Member Posts: 53
    It just occurred to me- what criteria are we using for an 'oldie'? :D I mean, if someone on the board is like, 20, they're going to have a somewhat different perspective than someone who is 60. Right? Or am I just being Lawful Anal about this. :-/
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580
    The Third Man - one-a-kind-film noire filmed in the rubble of post-WW2 Vienna. Brilliantly acted and directed with a memorable musical score.
  • H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
    I'm not a real big fan of older films. Everyone acts so dramatically, even when performing mundane tasks or saying ordinary lines.
  • thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188
    I have no love for films created before 1970, and my idea of an old film/new film is pretty much a direct split between 1970-1992 to 1993-current. Movies in the 70's and 80's had a charm that is rarely captured in todays movies. So I guess if using my idea of what an old movie is, then I prefer older ones.

I think of movies like Back to the Future, The Burbs, Chocolate Factory(old one of course), and some others I can't think of right now. They just don't make them like they used to. Many of these recent remakes Hollywood has been shoveling out seem to lack the soul of the originals and replace it with CGI.

It's just terrible.
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    One note: ppl still awfully watch shit like Star Wars 4-6 (baka), not to mentioned that those are from the late 70s, Alien, Blade Runner, Terminator and consider themselves old - just some example what I'd consider 'old' and still love to watch.

For any older movs, I'd rather prefer the western (50-60s) and Charlie Chaplin or any of the 20s movies, they are really cool. And I love hitchcock, Edgar Wallace & roughly all the Margaret Rutherford movs.

So yes, I watch 'old' shit :)
  • CoM_SolaufeinCoM_Solaufein Member Posts: 2,607
    Old style films to me is 1960 and older.

John Ford/John Wayne westerns are the best.

The stars back then had class. Much better than the diva trash and the glory seeking whores like the Kardashians of today.
  • BaldursCatBaldursCat Member Posts: 432
    Two of my favourite ever films are real oldies:

Arsenic & Old Lace, starring Cary Grant is just the funniest thing, ever. It still makes me cry with laughter every time, & Alfred Hitchcock's Rebecca is probably the best adaptation of a novel I've ever seen.

One of my other favourites is a 70s movie done in an older style; Paper Moon, starring Ryan & Tatum O'Neal, he plays a conman who takes his daughter with him on the cons.
  • H0RSEH0RSE Member Posts: 115
    edited January 2013

The stars back then had class. Much better than the diva trash and the glory seeking whores like the Kardashians of today.

Oddly enough, John Wayne was a horrible actor. Yeah, he was big and pretty much "The man" of Hollywood back in his day, but as an actor, he pretty much sucked. I have talked to many old film buffs and John Wayne fans, and they agree.

Oh, and the Kardashians are not actresses - they are TV personalities/celebrities....
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Directors were waay more creative when there were fewer special effects!
  • thedemoninsidethedemoninside Member Posts: 188
    H0RSE said:

Oddly enough, John Wayne was a horrible actor. Yeah, he was big and pretty much "The man" of Hollywood back in his day, but as an actor, he pretty much sucked. I have talked to many old film buffs and John Wayne fans, and they agree.

Oh, and the Kardashians are not actresses - they are TV personalities/celebrities....
    Don't the Kardashians "act" like they are important, interesting, and have a personality beyond the shallow depressing emptiness they hide behind a pretty face? I mean they do trick thousands of stupid people into watching them.

I agree they can't act like good actors can act. Just had to take the stab at people on tv who are famous just because they are showing how fabulous they are on tv.

Also why do people watch that disgusting slob of a lard spawn Honey Boo-boo(or however it is spelled) and her trashy inbred mother? Even my wife watches it sometimes. Gives me an excuse to go play video games, but still it is sad.

• Metal_HurlantMetal_Hurlant Member Posts: 324
    I've been watching a lot of old B&W movies from the 1940s and 50s. Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes and all of Hitchcock's movies.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    Metropolis
    Buster Keaton movies
    Seven Samurai
    The Wizard of Oz
  • hammernanvilhammernanvil Member Posts: 98
    edited January 2013
    Old ... there's easily 30 yrs difference between john wayne and clint eastwood... that's a whole generation and then some. so define old

My favorite old movie though is, Red River(1948) with John Wayne, Im a big fan of johnwayne, charlton heston, kirk douglas, steve mcqueen. those are classics, they were the true actors of their day. better than most actors now.
  • hammernanvilhammernanvil Member Posts: 98
    H0RSE said:

Blasphemy, the Duke may have not been the best actor, but he was THE DUKE, people loved him because he had character, anyone that doesn't agree that THE DUKE was a true class of character.... I have words for you....