Skip to content

Spawn Issue: Monster keep disappearing on reload!

prometheanpromethean Member Posts: 9
edited December 2012 in Fixed
This has happened to me with bears & wolves in the areas between the Friendly Arms In and Nashkel.

I see a bear, not yet aggroed to enemy status, and I save my game.
I attack, Imoen or my main PC fails their dice roll against not getting dead, so I reload.
The bear has disappeared upon reloading, not to be found anywhere on the map. (in fact, in the first map outside Candelkeep where I know there should be at least 2 or three bears, all of them are gone.)
No amount of force quitting and reloading the game will respawn the bear properly.

With wolves, which are always enemies and require no aggro, the scenario is the same except I have saved a minute or so before coming in sight of the wolf.

In the original, I usually have Imoen and the main PC close to leveling up by the time I get to FAI through bear fights and random encounters, saving often & reloading on death, but this bug prevents that.
Post edited by [Deleted User] on

Comments

• sandorcleganesandorclegane Member Posts: 7
    hey just letting you know i quicksaved next to the balck bear on the firs wilderness map in an attempt to kill it. first time around he killed my main char and then when i reloaded no bear to be seen. gone from map. did a thorough check.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    I remember it was also like this in Tutu and BGT. I think it's just the way the engine handles random spawns.
  • prometheanpromethean Member Posts: 9
    @DiscoCat: I can confirm that this is not the way it is handled in my GOG copy.
  • ThunderSoulThunderSoul Member Posts: 125
    I think monsters are randomly spawned. I think it happens in the original, and it happens in this one too. On reload, it is not guaranteed the mob in your sight is there or if you are about to take another step the same gibberling will be there or no enemy at all.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I think one of the devs/beta testers commented on this a while back. IIRC, it was done to prevent excessive spawns. If the spawns were saved, everytime you reloaded you would have those spawns, plus a chance for a whole nother batch to spawn, I think. Something like that anways.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

@DiscoCat: I can confirm that this is not the way it is handled in my GOG copy.

Your GoG copy is an original BG1, i guess?