Skip to content

Character Backstory Expansions

IcecreamtubIcecreamtub Member Posts: 547
edited December 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
I don't know if this has already been requested, but even if it has, +1 vote.

But yeah, pretty much in the title. Not to copy an idea like in Dragon Age, I just think It's an amazing idea. I'd buy them, over and over. Having someone like Aerie's, for example, story expansion for the
Avariel and going back to her people and the map with those winged folk
, would be an amazing play. Or how Vicionia
was exiled from her people.
Or even how Keldorn
sent Ajantis to the Sword Coast
. Just a thought, but definitely a request from my end. Hope people feel the same? I'd be somewhat atonished if they didn't feel the same, though. Who wouldn't want to find out how Jaheria met
Khalid?
Or how Xzar and
Montraron came to be?
Even Xan's
mission to investigate the swordcoast's troubles
has potential. Minsc and
Dynaheir, now there's an even better idea! How Minsc found Boo after his travels with Dynaheir,
sounds great, doesn't it? Oh and who could forget Imoen? How she
came to be adopted and meet the CHARNAME, to play through that and watch them bond would be great!
Might be going on a Detailed Fan-Boy limb here, though.

Don't fear to post your opinions on the matter, I'd love to hear people's arguments/critism if I'm suggesting a bad /good request/idea.

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    More and expanded background is generally a good thing, whether it be for the PC or NPCs. As I understand it though, there's a limit to what they can do when it comes to the "old" NPCs in most regards. I too would love to see the original companions become more fleshed-out, but it doesn't seem they can or will do much with that content.
  • IcecreamtubIcecreamtub Member Posts: 547
    I understand they are limited with resources (If memory serves correctly, it's because they've become a seperate company and don't have access?) but what's to say they couldn't get a few people to help edit or make a bit of new content. Maybe in the future, perhaps. They have all the current files, so, it wouldn't be completely impossible; From my understanding it'd just take a long process. It'd be worth it, though.
    I mean, even releasing it as a mini-expansion and updating it as you go along might be doable. Though, again, from my understanding. I could be horrificly wrong.
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    Taking this from the "list of things that can't be done" thread:

2. Contractual limitations.

Beamdog's contract is for BG:EE and BG2:EE only.
    No contract exists for a remake of Icewind Dale, Icewind Dale II or Planescape: Torment as of now. Therefore, it vicariously ensues that the devs have no access to any resources from those titles, including portraits, animations, spells, and monsters. Modders may be able to port those contents to BG:EE once the game is released, but the devs are legally bound to work with the Baldur's Gate saga resources alone.

The contract prevents Beamdog / Overhaul to alter the original game contents heavy handedly.

This is what Trent Oster had to say about it on the official Beamdog forum:

"1. Altering the dialog of the old joinable characters

-We can't do this

2. Altering the dialog of encounterable npc's in the campaign, including minor ones

-small scale text only changes are possible.

3. Adding new encounters to the old maps

-possible

4. Relocating encounters on the old maps

-possible, but at risk of introducing bugs

5. Retuning difficulty of old encounters, at the level of content rather than engine

-possible, again content tweaking risks adding bugs.

6. Adding/removing/moving gear in old encounters/npcs/containers.

-Again, possible, but adding risks adding bugs.

Our stance is to try and avoid too much meddling in the original content and focus our efforts on the new content."

Beamdog / Overhaul also face contractual limitations regarding the addition of new content to the existing games. They can build new content as "expansions", but they cannot add to the core content in the main title. This limitation is due to the contracts for the original source content and limit the devs from adding new conversation for existing characters to the main game. Hence, adding banters, inerjections and romances to the original cast of characters is unfortunately not feasible. They will interact with new NPCs and react to new situations and areas, but that's about it.

The last paragraph in particular is what I was thinking of. Granted only Overhaul could say for sure what they can and cannot do and in the question-answering session they did say something along the lines of mostly not wanting to messing with old content rather than not being able to... *shrug*
    Yeah that's what I read, just went and re-read it since you took the time to post it ^^

Sigh. :[
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    @Icecreamtub I agree that it would be interesting, but not really something you can game. I mean, you'd be limited to extremely low level and that is the rub. No moving onward/upward/forward. As for revealing details in the game, my imagination can fill that well enough, I think.

I did have one idea : what if BG3 has you

play as Sarevok, slowly learning what you are and how to harness it? Then hunting down the other spawnchildren and whatnot?

Just a thought
    [spoiler] Sounds like an expansion, to me. The game wouldn't really last all that long, I'd, for sure, lose interest in just going around assassinating people. Still a great idea, though! Don't get me wrong. Just seems more like an expansion, to me. [/Spoiler]
  • LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165

I don't know if this has already been requested, but even if it has, +1 vote.

But yeah, pretty much in the title. Not to copy an idea like in Dragon Age, I just think It's an amazing idea. I'd buy them, over and over. Having someone like Aerie's, for example, story expansion for the

Avariel and going back to her people and the map with those winged folk
    , would be an amazing play. Or how Vicionia
    was exiled from her people.
    Or even how Keldorn
    sent Ajantis to the Sword Coast
    . Just a thought, but definitely a request from my end. Hope people feel the same? I'd be somewhat atonished if they didn't feel the same, though. Who wouldn't want to find out how Jaheria met
    Khalid?
    Or how Xzar and
    Montraron came to be?
    Even Xan's
    mission to investigate the swordcoast's troubles
    has potential. Minsc and
    Dynaheir, now there's an even better idea! How Minsc found Boo after his travels with Dynaheir,
    sounds great, doesn't it? Oh and who could forget Imoen? How she
    came to be adopted and meet the CHARNAME, to play through that and watch them bond would be great!
    Might be going on a Detailed Fan-Boy limb here, though.

Don't fear to post your opinions on the matter, I'd love to hear people's arguments/critism if I'm suggesting a bad /good request/idea.
    for the imoen part, pm me and I'll send you my CYOA