Skip to content

Guns and Rifles

2»

Comments

• SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197

I could, they're in the 2nd edition handbook. They have a rate of fire of 1/3 per round (takes 3 rounds between shots), on an attack roll of 1 or 2 they deal 1d6 to the firer. They do not benefit from Str. (specialization raises it to 1/2 per round, 7 warrior is 3/4 per round, and 13 warrior is 1 per round. They can never exceed 1 attack per round, even under haste).

Pistols deal 1d8, Rifles 1d10, but have special damage rules. Every time an 8 or 10 is rolled respectively for damage, they roll additional damage again, and repeat for every 8 or 10 rolled.

Both the guns and ammo are extremely rare and expensive, 350 pistol and 500 rifle gp base price. Ball and powder are always considered magical (I'd assume you'd using the same pricing for magic arrows, since it doesn't list a price for these).

So, as has been said before, guns were a part of the 2nd edition rules set, and were even part of Forgotten Realms lore -- but this post isn't entirely correct. The 2nd edition PHB had an arquebus in the equipment lists, something that was easily the most expensive, powerful and dangerous weapon in the game. It did 1d10 damage, backfired on a critical miss and did extra damage on a damage roll of 10 (meaning that each time you rolled full damage, you could roll a whole extra die of damage -- and could *keep* doing that so long as you kept rolling 10s).

Zanath is wrong here: there were no pistols or rifles in the original PHB. There was, however, a list of smokepowder weapons in the 2nd edition sourcebook "Forgotten Realms Adventures" that included muskets.
    Because ammo doesn't effect the damage of a ranged weapon in PnP (bows deal a base of 1d6, x-bows deal 1d8), it just adds additional damage from the enhancement bonus on the ammo or some special quality it has.
    This isn't accurate either. In 2nd edition AD&D, the ammo does the damage -- which is why arrows, bolts and bullets use this mechanic in BG and BG2.
  • Ronin13Ronin13 Member Posts: 53
    Although magic is definitely more effective at dealing damage than all but modern weaponry (past 100 years or so), the advantage to the layperson would be that you don't have to study for years, or have 'the gift' as sorcerers do. Point and Shoot, which is the main advantage the Crossbow has over the Bow.

It's a bit off-topic, but I've always been amused by how in many rpg's (especially JRPG's) the melee weapons are more powerful than the ranged weapons, say in Phantasy Star Universe, and even more so how the ballistic weapons are faster than the energy weapons. Halo & Mass Effect are two offenders of this type. Actually, does anyone know of any games that apply logic to this? :D
  • SixheadeddogSixheadeddog Member Posts: 197
    Ronin13 said:

and even more so how the ballistic weapons are faster than the energy weapons. Halo & Mass Effect are two offenders of this type. Actually, does anyone know of any games that apply logic to this? :D

WAY OFF TOPIC... but I don't really recall any weapons in ME that are true "energy" weapons other than the particle rifles... which actually don't seem all that off-base to me (the beams are constant and seem more-or-less instantaneous). It's possible I'm forgetting something, though.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I'm going to quote something I've said before on this forum:
    "Guns in Baldur's Gate? Seriously people, seriously?"

Aside them not-fitting in BG, I hate guns in fantasy games.