Skip to content

Zeke reality check

HeadbombHeadbomb Member Posts: 213
edited January 2013 in Fixed
Current behaviour:
I freed Branwen from her petrification in the Nashkel Festival (I had a scroll on me, so I didn't need Zeke's). So I meet Zeke, and he's telling me to look at the stone warrior maiden and all that and wants to sell me a scroll for 500 gp.

Expected behaviour:
Zeke should realize that Branwen is no longer petrified. He could still offer to sell you the scroll "in case it happens again / happen to you" though, but at the very least the dialogue should take into account that Branwen is no longer petrified.
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    Redmined.
  • HeadbombHeadbomb Member Posts: 213
    Uh?

Also a similar one (http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/11997/denkod-reality-check) that seems to have been overlooked.
  • hook71hook71 Member, Developer Posts: 582
    Headbomb said:

Uh?

Beamdog uses Redmine for bug tracking.
  • HeadbombHeadbomb Member Posts: 213
    Ah I see. Never heard of that bug/ticket tracker one before.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    This one is nastier to fix than it looks...

Zeke currently will only realize that Branwen is restored if you have talked to him first. Easy to fix if you set a flag when Branwen is restored.

The problem is how do you detect that Branwen has been restored? I can set a flag in the dialog, but if you don't talk to her that doesn't happen. Having her initiate the dialog won't work, because the script triggers before she is restored, and you can't save. I'm having trouble getting SpellCastOnMe to work... Anyway, we'll see if I can come up with something.
    Anyway, there is a stupid easy way to detect petrification, I just missed it. Here's the patch:
    https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwOwEmwBQcTWbFZtTnZIUVg5R2s
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2012
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    edited December 2012
    I have 2011, tested this again, and it still has the old behavior. Looking at the Zeke DLG, and it doesn't appear to have changed from 2010. Zeke only responds to Branwen being restored if she is in your party. Otherwise he will keep offering you the scroll. (Note, my original statement was incorrect - you don't have to talk to him before he notices. He always notices when she is in your party)

My patch fixes this by making the following changes:
    Adds BRANWEN.BCS as the override script for Branwen (not sure why this wasn't already there, another bug?)
    Adds a check in BRANWEN.BCS for STATE_STONE_DEATH, and sets a global "BranwenRestored" if it isn't present.
    Changed ZEKE.DLG to respond correctly if BranwenRestored is set.
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,526
    This hasn't been fixed yet because it is comparatively (very) low priority compared to most other bugs on the devs' radar. It will eventually get sorted, though.
    That's why I'm working on these type things. If I can keep the real devs from wasting their time on these piddly little problems, then I've done a good thing :D
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    I believe he had another dialog for that. (the statue is alive or something)
    Updated the patch to address a problem mentioned in another thread: if you steal the scroll, Zeke will still try to sell it to you. He will take your money, but give you nothing. What has changed:
    * BRANWE.CRE/BRANWE5.CRE changed to have BRANWEN.BCS as the override script (not sure why this isn't already the case)
    * BRANWEN.BCS changed to set a global (BranwenRestored) when state is no longer STATE_STONE_DEATH
    * ZEKE.DLG changed to check for BranwenRestored, and respond correctly
    * ZEKE.DLG changed to check to see if he has the scroll when selling it to you. If he doesn't, he acts confused and runs away.

Note that I stole some generic text ("What? I don't...") for the last item so that there wouldn't need to be a change to dialog.tlk

Just unzip & put in your override folder - let me know if there is any trouble!

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0BwOwEmwBQcTWWHUzajRVOGdwMVE
  • ljboljbo Member Posts: 177
    @Cerevant Forgive naive questions from a complete newbie but could you elaborate on how one could make contributions such as yours? I can't even seem to find the files you mention! And then how to edit them? As I suppose the scripts are compiled into some binary format, aren't they?
    Hi @ljbo,

Way back in the day, a couple different groups of clever folk set about to decode the information in the Baldur's Gate game files, so they could improve and enhance them ("Modding"). Over time a number of tools have been created which can extract, edit & compile changes back into the game.

I'm primarily using a tool called NearInfinity, which lets you browse the different game elements and see the scripting code used to create them. Some changes can be made right in that tool, dialog changes need to be made using a command line tool called Weidu, and there are other things we just can't change.

I am by no means an expert on this subject - I started by using NI to look at the dialog scripts to try to understand why certain character interactions weren't working. From there I decided to get my feet wet by tweaking the scripts and seeing if I could get them working myself. If you already know some programming, it isn't especially difficult, just takes some patience and persistence.
  • ljboljbo Member Posts: 177
    @cerevant Thanks! Armed with the latest version of NearInfinity I got from github, I now partially understand your comments and suggestions.