Skip to content

Icewind Dale:EE, Your thoughts...

13»

Comments

• GrifGrif Member Posts: 48
    would pre-order an IWD:EE today if it were available. loved the IWD series just as much as BG series but for different reasons.

Trent and gang, please make it happen!
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Tanthalas said:

When I find them.

Sorry for putting work on you :/
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    IWD with IWD2 engine or with BG2 engine?
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    Dazzu said:

IWD with IWD2 engine or with BG2 engine?

I think all engines for future games (save BG3) will be based off of the version being used for BGEE, for the simple reason that it would be cost effective and any patches and changes made for new games can be back ported to all previous games.
  • jmanreisjmanreis Member Posts: 39
    edited July 2012
    Unless they do more enhancing than they did for BGEE, I would say just go straight to BG3 or another new title. I wouldn't want all of the enhancing of older games to delay a new game unless there were some major improvements.
  • TalvraeTalvrae Member Posts: 315
    Meh personally i had think IWD game where boring, it's pretty much only an hack&slash game with AD&D rules, there is barellyy any plot side quest character interaction all the things that made BG serie great
  • morgy321morgy321 Member Posts: 36
    bg 1 and the rest was good iwd 1 and 2 was good to but i tryed to buy them again and was unable to play them on my comp uh torment was just way to buggy
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    Wasn't IWD II engine highly tweaked to work with 3rd edition rules?
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    @Talvrae I agree, and the combat is more often than not just a drudge but I can't think of any other game that I load up purely to revisit the amazing locations. Ah, I figured out my forgotten realms "job," IWD tourist.
  • LediathLediath Member Posts: 125
    The weirdest thing I find about the infinity engine is that there seems to be two base versions. BG1 IWD IWD2 uses one base version and BG2 uses the other base version.

BG2 engine has much better monster reaction, as in the AI heartbeat updates much quicker, movement looks and feels more responsive, and shadows for fog of war are smooth instead of aliased.

I really hope if they make anymore games off of the infinity engine, that they keep to the lastest ToB and not try to modify the older base version used in IWD2.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Yes, I also hope that they will work on Icewind dale and Icewind dale 2 someday. But for now, they dont have 'the contract'. Lets see after BG:EE, BG2:EE and BG3. ^^
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839

@Talvrae I agree, and the combat is more often than not just a drudge but I can't think of any other game that I load up purely to revisit the amazing locations. Ah, I figured out my forgotten realms "job," IWD tourist.

Fully agree. The game has an amazing atmosphere and oh so great locations. I just started it up the other week, but really, the combat... it's just whack-a-zombie for quite a while, and not that interesting.

• wariisopwariisop Member Posts: 163
    Meh personally i had think IWD game where boring, it's pretty much only an hack&slash game with AD&D rules, there is barellyy any plot side quest character interaction all the things that made BG serie great

Man you really missed how great IWD was, when it came to epic battles and the feeling of desparation/true heroic adventure IWD was the best. The battles in the BG series pale in comparison to IWD, and the twist at the end of IWD 1 was epic. Also, the most variety and weapon variety was significantly better. While the overall story was not as good, the backstory of a Dark Elf merchant causing the alliance between dwarves and elves to fall was seriously under appreciated. The IWD series does deserve a Enhanced Edition as I would love to hear that music in HD, man it is the best music in gaming.
  • LeonLeon Member Posts: 83
    wariisop said:

Man you really missed how great IWD was, when it came to epic battles and the feeling of desparation/true heroic adventure IWD was the best. The battles in the BG series pale in comparison to IWD, and the twist at the end of IWD 1 was epic. Also, the most variety and weapon variety was significantly better. While the overall story was not as good, the backstory of a Dark Elf merchant causing the alliance between dwarves and elves to fall was seriously under appreciated. The IWD series does deserve a Enhanced Edition as I would love to hear that music in HD, man it is the best music in gaming.

Yet with all your passion i found this game extremly boring. I played BG many times, but once i get to the goblins in the start nothing attracts me anymore- pretty boring quests,no interaction with party memebers and well your just hack your way to better equipment so when the fun really starts man?
    If it had some amazing story like Planescape Torment then i could bare the first boredom: but well your start with 6 characters and you can choose too much in the start which makes everything much simpler. Your kill- gain xp,level up,more equipment and i dont feel the passion i feel in other old video games.
    Was this the first RPG you played? Because i got the feeling all those who love the game played it before BG series.
  • NWN_babaYagaNWN_babaYaga Member Posts: 732
    edited July 2012
    Graphically you cant do much about the IWD games. They look stunning good even today to my eyes. And I liked the change to a more Hack&Slash-Explorer type game w/o annoying NPC´s that talk talk and talk. It was something different and I enjoyed it completely.
  • Twilight_FoxTwilight_Fox Member Posts: 448
    Bg1 was nearly the first game I played (on pc) but still, I love IWD1 and IWD2. I would like to see an Enhanced Edition someday. For me the complete collection is BG1, BG2, IWD1, IWD2. BG is > than IWD only because of the story and the canon caracteres (drizzt, elmister, volo, etc.).
  • RisingsunRisingsun Member Posts: 99
    Well the good thing is that we get a little taste of what you liked so much about IWD in BGEE. The Black Pits stand-alone nature and combat focus is perfect for the kind of multiplayer RP experience you want. It's one of the reasons why I'm so excited for this addition.
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    Leon said:

Was this the first RPG you played? Because i got the feeling all those who love the game played it before BG series.

Nope. I played BG before I played IWD and I still love it also. But I also played the gold box games before BG too.
  • JarlaxleJarlaxle Member Posts: 105
    I played IWD 1-2 after BG series and P:T, but i liked both. The first has dungeons a little too big and linear for me, but the locations was beautiful, like the story. IWD2 it's a great game, just restarted yesterday!

But I disagree with who talks about better battles on IWD1-2. Yes, the series is focalised on battles but in BG2 they are more tactical, battles vs dragons, lich, and groups of enemy which include mage and priest IMO are unforgettable!
  • MikeMike Member Posts: 65
    I just downloaded IWD 1 from GOG, and I have to say, I am really looking forward to playing this game. I have always wanted to and never got around to it. When I beat it I plan to move to IWD 2. Can anyone confirm the multiplayer till works for these games being the old TCP/IP?
  • ArmanciaArmancia Member Posts: 243
    In my opinion, IWD saga EE would be a challenge. Neverless I would like an Enhanced edition with 2.5 rules's for IWD and 3.5 rules's for IWD2.
  • raywindraywind Member Posts: 289
    i liked the combat more in iwd and all other aspects on bg were better. but thats just me
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    Here is another thread regarding IWD:EE if anyone intersted

http://forum.baldursgate.com/discussion/1220/icewind-daleee-your-thoughts/p1
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited August 2012
    Merged the similar threads.
  • kunjal29kunjal29 Member Posts: 26
    IWD style dungeon romp set in Undermountain.

I don't know if anyone remembers Eye of the Beholder series. If they could remake this in the style of IWD it would be awesome.