Skip to content

Any Updates On Ipad 1 Support/Testing?

The last thing I read was that they were trying to pull out all non-essential bits to reduce the memory footprint. I REALLY hope this works because I would love to play this game and a new Ipad is not in the budget and not an option for the forseeable future.

Comments

• iKrivetkoiKrivetko Member Posts: 934
    In his latest tweet from two days ago, Cameron Tofer stated that he was working on adding iPad 1 support to the upcoming patch. It was also said by some other dev that the first patch is almost ready. I'd assume that it's matter of weeks, if not days.
  • The_Once_LerThe_Once_Ler Member Posts: 10
    Thanks for that tidbit! I just checked out his twitter and it appears he is dedicated to getting the support soon. The good thing is that once they nail it for this game on ipad 1, BG 2 should follow the same path since they are both running the same engine! Here's to hoping Baldur's Gate 1&2 grace us with an appearance on our Ipad 1s!
    I'd actually prefer to see bg2 as a part of the whole bgee project. Having the whole saga in one app would be tremendous. Alas, that might be a hard thing to accomplish due to the size.
  • FuzzyPuffinFuzzyPuffin Member Posts: 289
    @ikrvetko impossible, actually. 2GB is the file size limit.

I don't know how they are going to fit bg2 by itself, considering BG1 is very close to the limit and 2 is much larger.
    I'm not 100% positive, but I believe they could make it an in-app purchase with a separate download, which shouldn't be that large because the engine, the artwork and most of the other heavy stuff are already present.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    I'm sure a year from now, Apple will have increased the file size limit.
  • The_Once_LerThe_Once_Ler Member Posts: 10

@ikrvetko impossible, actually. 2GB is the file size limit.

I don't know how they are going to fit bg2 by itself, considering BG1 is very close to the limit and 2 is much larger.

Updating BG to the newer engine probably brought it closer to the size of BG 2. BG 2 was already built for that engine so it should not have to increase in size much (except for extra content :). Plus, the going should be much faster adapting the second game since they aren't changing engines and they will have worked out some of the programming kinks for IOS in the first go-around!
  • LeukwarmLeukwarm Member Posts: 3
    I'm excited to share this game with my wife - unfortunately she is stuck on the iPad 1.