Skip to content

Exploring side areas

IgniseusIgniseus Member Posts: 7
edited December 2012 in New Players (NO SPOILERS!)
Hi all

I played BG once before several years back but I remember little about it. So, I've bought BG:EE to play through and was just wondering something.

Am i missing out on much if i just go straight to quest locations and follow the story? I know you can explore lots of areas but I just find it very boring exploring these open wildernesses with a few monsters and the odd pointless NPC until i find the occasional more important area. I'm not a fan of infinity engine combat either which makes it worse (though opposite to most people I didn't mind Planescape Torment combat, probably because there was less micro management and instant deaths). But I do really enjoy playing the game and following where the story takes me. And I enjoy the combat as long as I'm not spending half my evening fighting monsters before the next quest, story part, etc.

So, will I miss much by not going off in random directions on the world map visiting all the locations (i will visit places put on the map for me, I mean trawling through the wilderness squares) ?

Thanks
Igniseus

Comments

• RenulanRenulan Member Posts: 109
    Sounds like you'd be better off reading some guide that explains all the optional quests that you could pick and choose from and beeline to them if you were interested in seeing what they were about. There's tons of side stuff that can be VERY interesting.

But there is nothing wrong with just doing the main storyline. It will last a while regardless and never gets old.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    Or you could do like some of us did when the game first came out, and buy drinks at the taverns and donate to the churches, and ask around amongst townsfolk. They actually give you lots of hints and rumors that greatly reward the exploration experience (or enhance the immersion of the setting)
  • IgniseusIgniseus Member Posts: 7

Or you could do like some of us did when the game first came out, and buy drinks at the taverns and donate to the churches, and ask around amongst townsfolk. They actually give you lots of hints and rumors that greatly reward the exploration experience (or enhance the immersion of the setting)

What happens when you buy drinks, donate etc? Do you just get hints at quests/locations or does it actually add something to your journal/map? Arcanum does this for map locations and journal notes I believe.
    Renulan said:

Sounds like you'd be better off reading some guide that explains all the optional quests that you could pick and choose from and beeline to them if you were interested in seeing what they were about. There's tons of side stuff that can be VERY interesting.

Although a good idea, I'd rather not jump back and forth from a guide looking for stuff to do, it would kind of ruin the experience for me as I just want to sit down and play. Some of these "very interesting" quests, how do most people find them? Going off exploring all the zones/areas/squares on the map?

If something appears on the map (e.g. gnoll stronghold) I'll happily go visit it, but i don't want to be exploring all the wilderness areas searching for interesting stuff, I want to get stuck into the story and quests. I find if i go into a new wilderness area I go back and forth across the map making sure i've explored it all and I get real tired of this, i would rather just ignore them or if i have to cross them just run straight through. I like exploring places of interest though, that aren't just repetitive grass and trees.

• ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    edited December 2012
    They just mention hints or rumors in the text that pops up afterward. They rarely tell you exactly where to go, but will usually point you in the right direction.

Most areas though have at least 1 quest, point of interest, or hidden easter egg somewhere.
  • atcDaveatcDave Member Posts: 2,157
    The side areas generate a lot of experience and quite a few interesting magic items. They aren't strictly "necessary", you can certainly beat the game without the detours, but will be stronger and more prepared if you take some time to explore.
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    edited December 2012
    -experience +nice items
    The XP can be gained faster in specific places, ie Wyvern cave or even Winter Wolfs at the entrance to Nashkel mines and they give you quite some Gold for the heads or pelts

But some of the better items can only be gained in random areas..and in most cases very early
    - chain +2; really nice ranger armor
    - warhammer +2
    - dex gauntlets/missile gauntlets
    - studded leather +2
    etc....

Though the XP sums up, if you do all places..I think I hit lvl 4/5~ doing all areas below Friendly Arm Inn, without visiting Nashkel Mines. And farmed maybe 'only' 30k from wolfes for some decent gear - money-wise.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    The side quests and optional areas are just that, optional. If you just follow the story you won't miss anything too important. There is plenty of gold and treasure to go around.
  • TeflonTeflon Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 515
    If you don't grind and just do main quests, judging from what you said(prefer torment combat) you will probably have hard time or watch your hand a lot since you can't follow up enemy power.
    Most of all you are not playing speedrun, right?
  • IgniseusIgniseus Member Posts: 7
    Thanks for the advice all, decided to just explore the areas as recommended. Its not too bad actually, I think initially I just hit some rather boring and empty areas but i've come across a few interesting encounters recently (and rather deadly ones, basilisks!).
  • karnor00karnor00 Member Posts: 680
    I much preferred BG2 for this reason as it eliminates most of the empty areas to focus on plot/quest specific areas.

BG1 I end up trying to generate excitement on some of the maps by varying sweeps across the map to make sure I get everything. Vertical stripes vs horizontal stripes vs out-in spiral...
  • valkyvalky Member Posts: 386
    karnor00 said:

I much preferred BG2 for this reason as it eliminates most of the empty areas to focus on plot/quest specific areas.

BG1 I end up trying to generate excitement on some of the maps by varying sweeps across the map to make sure I get everything. Vertical stripes vs horizontal stripes vs out-in spiral...

*gg* same for me, I think including BGEE I managed to beat the game only 2 or 3 times doing every single map, else I end up grinding and grab me only the stuff I needed.
    I you gave it a thought, you only need a couple of important location to beat it, everything else is just 'there'.. (candlekeep->FAI->Nashkel mines->Bandit camp->Cloakwood Mines->BG city/Throne->Candle Dungeon->BG city-kill Sarevok! awesome .. it's also a bit sad that your 1st visit in BG-city demands only 2 quests to advance to candlekeep dungeon)
    And you have at least 2 'well-known' nice location with a xp-income of at least 1 - 3k/per minute~ which happen to give you also a lot of gold ^^

Recently started BG2 with my char imported and it feels different and not that monotonous...still I enjoyed BGEE and I miss that stupid zoom button ^^