Skip to content

Fireplaces lightning and warm air effects are angular

ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
edited December 2012 in Not An Issue
Not sure if it is a bug or not, but sometimes it's quite easy to see. (Candelkeep, priest's quarters!)
Post edited by AndreaColombo on

Comments

• AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,527
    @Yovaneth would be our resident expert on these matters.
  • YovanethYovaneth Member Posts: 691
    edited December 2012
    @ankheg @andreacolumbo It's a colour mis-matched bam that still exists in BG:EE - looks like it may have been saved as 8-bit rather than 24-bit. Logged in redmine.
  • ankhegankheg Member Posts: 546
    Thanks, I have a similiar post about dust clouds. (near Durlag's tower) Their shape is ok but it isn't smoothed like the spell effects.
    @ankheg That will be a mod rather than a bug as - operationally - there's nothing wrong with the the bam. I'll take a look and see what I can do.
    edited December 2012
    @ankheg Sorry guys - it can't be done. I've just spent three hours fighting with both versions of BAMWorkshop and when I finally did get a modified working BAM it didn't look that different. We need an alpha channel for BAMs....
    edited December 2012
    Yovaneth said:

@ankheg Sorry guys - it can't be done. I've just spent three hours fighting with both versions of BAMWorkshop and when I finally did get a modified working BAM it didn't look that different. We need an alpha channel for BAMs....

Yeah I should have known. Is there a possibility of this upgraded BAM file thing? There was a post about this I guess... thanks anyway.
    @Yovaneth - Actually, BAM files already have an alpha channel—it just supports a single layer of alpha blending as opposed to several. It's the channel 1PPv4 uses to make the Softer Spell Effects component :)
    edited December 2012
    @andreacolumbo For BGEE, yes, but @ankheg is talking about BG1. Yes, no, maybe :). I'd also love to put my hands on the source code for Bam Workshop 2 but it's not available.
    @Yovaneth - @klatu mentioned his willingness to look into BAM editing for the tool he's developing, so perhaps we'll get the an improved BAM-Workshop-like tool within the tool :)
    Yovaneth said:

@andreacolumbo For BGEE, yes, but @ankheg is talking about BG1. Yes, no, maybe :). I'd also love to put my hands on the source code for Bam Workshop 2 but it's not available.

I was talking about BGEE, I don't know why I put this in BG1. Actually I was sure I put this in BGEE buglist. :)
    @ankheg - Thread moved :)
    @ankheg @andrea_columbo I took a look at adding alpha channels to the three dust devils but found that it's a lot of effort for very little return :( 107 frames per BAM is no joke, even if some of them are repeated.
    edited December 2012
    I guess I will just decrease the brightening setting on my monitor. No more square-lighted fireplaces. :)
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    @Yovaneth Can't you just force blending in the area animation? That's how chimney smoke is done.
    @avenger_teambg My ar0500 dust devils are already set to Blend All Colours. Could you check yours for me please?
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, though devil 3 seems somewhat crippled. Full of garbage, it is a small wonder it works.
    I can add alpha channel generation for bams. Just give me a formula.
    (r+g+b)/3
    or 2*(255-(((r+g+b)/3)))
    or something like that.
    edited December 2012
    @avenger_teambg I agree with that assessment. I've got a cleaned-up version here which I'll post into redmine.

[Edit] No, I *had* a cleaned-up version here but for some reason I shot it. Won't take too long to recreate it.
    Post edited by Yovaneth on
    @avenger_teambg Grrrr.... it's BAMW's palette control screwing things up again. If you open it in BAMW2 the entire sequence is clean. As for an alpha channel formula.... I ain't got a clue!!! :) A very poor mental calculation seems to indicate that your second suggestion is the better of the two.
    Yes, that second formula includes clipping of course. That's what gemrb uses some places.