Skip to content

Can sell quest item Purdue's Sword

James_MJames_M Member Posts: 140
edited December 2012 in Not An Issue
Just to let you know...

It is possible to sell the quest item Purdue's Sword which a new player might do by accident as it looks like an ordinary short sword. I have done this by accident, which was a major bummer.
Post edited by Coriander on

Comments

• Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    If you can buy it back... it is not a problem.
  • technophobetechnophobe Member Posts: 68
    Only two merchants change their inventory (Bernard and Ribald, iirc), and neither are in BG. Buying back should be all the remedy needed.
  • ZeckulZeckul Member Posts: 1,036
    Just to let you know...

It is possible to sell the quest item Purdue's Sword which a new player might do by accident as it looks like an ordinary short sword. I have done this by accident, which was a major bummer.
    And the expected behavior is? At most I'd give the item a custom description; items for little side quests like these should remain sellable. It's your choice as a player, and you can almost always buy it back if you made a mistake.

• MedillenMedillen Member Posts: 632
    What if we don't remember where we sold it ?

I was 9 at the time, okay ? I was stupid ! :D But i think it is okay to sold quest item. But they should be more easily recoverable.

Maybe lets leave a trace in the journal if we ever sold quest items and where we did the bummer ? Or before selling a quest item, open a dialog box with smg like "Are you sure you want to sell ***** ? It's a item needed for a quest." Shouldn't be too hard to implement...
  • kangaxxkangaxx Member Posts: 681
    What if we don't remember where we sold it ?

I was 9 at the time, okay ? I was stupid ! :D But i think it is okay to sold quest item. But they should be more easily recoverable.

Maybe lets leave a trace in the journal if we ever sold quest items and where we did the bummer ? Or before selling a quest item, open a dialog box with smg like "Are you sure you want to sell ***** ? It's a item needed for a quest." Shouldn't be too hard to implement...
    @Medillen @aXidal
    I like your ideas and think an indication should be visible before you sell it (e.g. change text colour)
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    @Medillen with all due respect the game was not mean to be played by stupid people.
    None of the plot items of the main quest can be sold, in Baldur's Gate if you want you can even kill perdue, so why we should not be able to sell his sword?
  • technophobetechnophobe Member Posts: 68
    The sword is obviously special. It has no bonuses nor unique icon, yet isn't generically named like every other "Short Sword". If that isn't a giant clue then no glowing text, ringing bells, or highlighted journal entry is going to help you. In BG or in life.
  • mgoetzemgoetze Member Posts: 2
    Seriously the thing is called "Purdue's Short Sword" unlike every other short sword in the game. I'm not interested in a game which is dumbed down beyond this point...
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Actually my first game I totally missed the short sword in the gnoll's inventory and it disappeared later because it was on the ground for long enough that it was auto-deleted. But that doesn't mean anything's broken. I'd agreed to get his sword back and instead left it laying on the ground for weeks of game time before returning to check. And ultimately... it's just Perdue. :-/ You don't need Perdue's sword to defeat Sarevok... even if it's a lot easier with Perdue's magic +5 Vs Bhaalspawn Short Sword.
  • BalquoBalquo Member, Developer Posts: 2,746
    This is a non issue - the sword is unique in that it is called Purdue's Short Sword. Leave it at that.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    The isssue raised is that the sword is a unique quest requeriment item that can be sold or ignored by mistake taking in fact the means that we can get it. When you find it at the corpse of a monster, with the skin of a ordinary short sword, people tend to just ignore it.
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    Giving you the opportunity to pick up and follow a clue > Telling you all the answers.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    edited November 2012
    There comes a point at which the player has to be held accountable for what they do.

If I'm not mistaken the Ankheg that drops the sword only appears once in that area, and I also believe its the only Ankheg that drops a piece of equipment in addition to the usual shell and gem/gold. That's enough to raise suspicion that the sword is important.
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I've done this, too. It isn't a big deal in the grand scheme of the game to not finish that tiny quest, but I do understand the frustration. For me, it was a lesson learned to keep my brain engaged when looting short swords and I typically give the weapon to a character that doesn't carry sale-able loot (some of my characters exist only to carry lots of arrows).
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited November 2012
    Tanthalas said:

There comes a point at which the player has to be held accountable for what they do.

If I'm not mistaken the Ankheg that drops the sword only appears once in that area, and I also believe its the only Ankheg that drops a piece of equipment in addition to the usual shell and gem/gold. That's enough to raise suspicion that the sword is important.

You are thinking of the wrong quest. The quest everyone else is talking about is started by a halfling (or some short character) in the Red Sheaf Inn in Beregost. The one you are talking about is started from one of the areas in Baldurs Gate where you are tasked with getting the sword from an ankheg just north of the umberlee child priest person (the area with the BG bridge). Though the ankheg quest would have similar problems. Personally the first time I came across the ankheg I killed it but forgot to look in its corpse (because at that point in the game a few gold isn't that big of a deal).
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @Elminster

Ah right, I was confusing this quest with Nestor's dagger.
  • pedrorqpedrorq Member Posts: 54
    This just happened to me. I had so many short swords in my inventory and they all look the same, so I sold it by mistake. I visited all merchants but couldn't find it again. Oh well, I've just lost a few hundred xp.
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862
    Another conflict of interest, some people will complain about not being able to sell it.
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    It is not a bug. As long as you don't break an important main quest with that. This is actually another possibility to "finish" the quest. Instead of giving the item back you can make some money out of it.