Skip to content

No more ghasts from animate dead?

2»

Comments

• hansolohansolo Member Posts: 136
    I'd like it if they would preserve the classic skeleton sprite for at least the weaker versions.
  • ZanathKariashiZanathKariashi Member Posts: 2,869
    I think they did. The guy working on it has made some further tweaks to stats and appearance, and description. It just hasn't been updated yet.
    Oxford_Guyhansolo
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729

I think they did. The guy working on it has made some further tweaks to stats and appearance, and description. It just hasn't been updated yet.

Great stuff! :-)
  • IgnatiusIgnatius Member Posts: 624
    No more ghasts... noooooo! I got used to it, very handy, made clerics even more powerful. I won't install the new patch for a while ;-)
  • AranthysAranthys Member Posts: 722
    Ghasts didn't make clerics "more powerful", it made clerics overpowered :D
    Oxford_Guylunar
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, you're grossly under estimating those warriors. Even the weakest version is still an excellent summon, and is actually a bit tougher then the ghast was (resistances) but without the ridiculously game breakingness of their touch, but on the other hand aren't 1-hit wonders like the BG2 pre15 skeletons were. BG1 at least gave you 2 1 hd skeletons per caster level (as per PnP, for like 16 at lvl 8), which made an excellent screen, but in BG2, they reduced it to 1, some times 2 of the same 1 hd skeletons....which was garbage.
    lunar
    edited December 2012
    There's basically the same kind of problem with the Summon Monster I-III spells
    IE.:
    Monster summoning I used to summon 8HD, it now summons only 1-2 creatures.
    Monster summoning II used to summon 12 HD, it now summons only 1-2 creatures.
    Monster summoning III used to summon 16 HD, it now summons only 1-2 creatures.
    Aranthys said:

There's basically the same kind of problem with the Summon Monster I-III spells
    IE.:
    Monster summoning I used to summon 8HD, it now summons only 1-2 creatures.
    Monster summoning II used to summon 12 HD, it now summons only 1-2 creatures.
    Monster summoning III used to summon 16 HD, it now summons only 1-2 creatures.

But are they 1-2 creatures with the correct total of HD?
    Nope, not the proper HD.
    IE: Monster Summoning 2 summons about 6HD rather than 12HD.
    Gotta check tonight.
    Aranthys said:

Nope, not the proper HD.
    IE: Monster Summoning 2 summons about 6HD rather than 12HD.
    Gotta check tonight.

That's not good, I'd be happy with only 2 summons if they were decent ones, though
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Didn't the original summon only "normal" skeletons but added an additional one for each level? I thought that was pretty well balanced higher levels got large numbers but the creatures themselves were not overpowered by any means. By games end you could summon a veritable army of undead with multiple clerics but they were mostly useful only as a distraction/bone shield you still had to take out your enemies yourself.
  • JarlealeJarleale Member Posts: 114
    Used monster summoning I with Edwind and got one Xvart. Disappointing. Started 1-on-1 and Edwind crushed the Xvart... Not worth a spell slot.
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, conjuration needs an overhaul in general. MS 1, gives you 1, sometimes 2 ogrillions as the best thing it summons which are only 2 hd creatures. If you get 2 then you're at 1/2 of what you should get, if you only get 1, the slot is only 1/4 of what it should've been. Kobolds are less then 1 hd, so you should be getting up to 16 of them, or 8 wild dogs...but it doesn't work like that cause of the summon limit.

Or if you insist on putting strick limits on the summon of summoned creatures, at least include higher HD creatures. Like 2 8 HD creatures for the MS 3 or 4 4 HD ones (4 ogre berserkers would be awesome, and totally legit).

Technically the BG1 and current version of animate dead are both correct. If you're animating 1 HD creatures, you can get 2 per caster level (or 1 per level for zombies). OR you can animate a fewer number of higher HD undead. Which is basically how it is now. Rather then a bunch of weak 1-hit wonders, you're getting a fairly stout (and increasingly Magic resistant) warrior.
    elminster
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited December 2012
    Yeah, they are BGII Skeleton Warriors now ... except somehow, even MORE pansy than regular BGII Skeleton Warriors. (I didn't realize this was possible)

I am glad they kept the BG1 Skeleton Warriors in BG1 instead of trying to replace them. (Ya know, in Durlag's Tower and the Undercity and all that) I would've been pissed. Those guys are freakin' dangerous and badass, the BGII Skeleton Warriors are lame, lame, lame.
    edited December 2012
    ....the only difference between the 15+ skeleton warrior and the durlag ones is that the durlag ones have 3 attacks but -1 hit, -2 damage. The 15+ only has 2 attacks, but +1 hit, +2 damage. Their stats (except str), immunties/resists, and gear are otherwise identical.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    edited December 2012

....the only difference between the 15+ skeleton warrior and the durlag ones is that the durlag ones have 3 attacks but -1 hit, -2 damage. The 15+ only has 2 attacks, but +1 hit, +2 damage. Their stats, immunties/resists, and gear are otherwise identical.

I believe you forgot to mention that they are a good two times faster in their walkspeed, aren't ugly as shit (not important but seriously, huge downgrade. Look at the Monster Manual sometime, the BG1 Skeleton Warriors are more authentic to that image than the BGII Skeleton Warriors), and most importantly let me remind you of THE ONES THAT RAPE YOU WITH ARROWS OF ICE.
    Tuth