Skip to content

[Feature Request] **Spoiler** Force the player to meet story cue at the start of Chapter 7.

KoreKore Member Posts: 245
At the moment it's very easy for new players to not work out what to do once they break out of the Candlekeep Catacombs. There are a couple of reminders when NPCs approach you in the gate, but they are easily missed and this just leads to needless frustration.

Instead of waiting outside Sorcerous Sundries, Tamoko should come to meet the player as soon as they attempt to leave Candlekeep in chapter 7 by waylaying the party, much like Drizzt does in BG2.

This is perfectly legitimate story wise, in fact it even makes more sense for her to seek out the protagonist at Candlekeep instead of simply hoping that they wander by a specific store.

Comments

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Wasn't it actually possible to miss Tomoko entirely? This would fix that issue too.
  • Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    Yeah Thumbs up to Kore for his suggestion, i would also like to add that the color (if its not too much trouble in it) of her armor, should be changed to black metallic instead of dark mud brown as it currently is, it looks horrible.
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    What?! Tam's armour is pretty sexy imo.
    Wasn't it actually possible to miss Tomoko entirely? This would fix that issue too.
    Yeah, very easy, especially as the temptation is to simply go straight to the flaming fist HQ.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    That's true- I hadn't thought of that. Tamoko might even be at Candlekeep anyway given that Koveras was there at the same time. I'd just position her more near the entrance to the Candlekeep area than where she appears to be anticipating your emergence from the Catacombs specifically. I'm not sure how that usually goes now that you mention it, whether it's in any way intuitively obvious what to do after Candlekeep...
    **spoilers**

Well what's supposed to happen is that you meet Tam outside Sorcerous Sundries, you then meet her outside FF HQ. She'll then prompt you to go kill Sarevoks new lover, Cynthandia or something, and to get Sarevoks diary. you then go get yourself arrested, break out of jail, save Eltan, kill Slythe and Kristin and then head to the Ducal Palace for the first part of the final shenanegans.

TL; DR is that meeting Tamoko is very important to know whats going on otherwise.
  • BhryaenBhryaen Member Posts: 2,874
    Yes, I recall after a long hiatus from BG I played it last year and found myself wandering around not understanding that I had to return to the Iron Throne building a second time...
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    For a couple of seconds I thought that the location of the catacombs wouldn't be something that just anyone would know, then I remembered that you do fight Sarevok's doppelgangers there, meaning that there is a good chance Tomoko knows of them. Even so, would it be an interesting alternative if Tomoko simply appears to talk to you wherever, in Baldur's Gate, you go?
  • Zymran86Zymran86 Member Posts: 137
    might be abit offtopic but, is winthorp and Gurke etc (All the People the dopplegangers mimic) dead? or are the dopplegangers just mimicing them down there?
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    might be abit offtopic but, is winthorp and Gurke etc (All the People the dopplegangers mimic) dead? or are the dopplegangers just mimicing them down there?
    I'm pretty sure no. The effort to infiltrating the Candlekeep catacombs (and Candlekeep itself) doesn't equate to actually going on a killing rampage against its people, especially Tethoril and Ulraunt, who seemed to me as rather powerful themselves.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    @Zymran86 well i do recall that some of the people (the chums who turn into dopplegangers) down in the catacombs talk about how they trained you and such so maybe they were dopplegangers all along, and maybe they were trying to force you out into that big bad world so sarevok could kill you off? plus gorion was talking about how that even being inside the keep wasnt even safe anymore, maybe he knew they were even changing and such
  • AzL0nAzL0n Member Posts: 126
    @Kore

Yup, Good suggestion. I like the getting waylaid thing better than her just chilling somewhere because it gives more of a surprise ''hey it's that chick that was with the bad guy at the beginning'' then you get ready for a fight but it turns out she wants to help you. I like that...
  • DrugarDrugar Member Posts: 1,566
    @sarevok57
    Dopplegangers can Detect Thoughts at will. More likely they either infiltrated Candlekeep and learned this information from the source, or read your mind when you were walking through the catacombs.
    Considering the large amount of wizards, sages and diviners (Candlekeep was even founded by one), I don't think a doppleganger's illusion would hold up for too long. I was already surprised by the amount of dopplegangers you find in Chapter 6, in the keep. Replacing half the staff would be a bit much I think...

On Topic:
    Agreed with the random encounter. Preferably have it trigger when you go from anywhere on the world map into Baldur's Gate, and then have the random encounter appear at the Gates part. This keeps her location somewhat in line with the original but still forces you to meet her (which is a must, really).
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited June 2012
    Yeah, very easy, especially as the temptation is to simply go straight to the flaming fist HQ.
    @Kore I have always gone straight to Iron Throne.

Once maybe 10 years ago I may have talked to her but then just ignored her after that. A couple games ago I talked to Tomoko and was surprised at what happened when I followed her directions though it seemed to not have any effect at all on how things play out with Sarevok in the long term.

IIRC there is some flaming fist guy wandering around or at FFHQ that tells you to go back to the iron throne to reinvestigate it leading to quest and or journal entry to reinvestiage iron throne? Either that or the fact that you just took care of the leaders of the throne in candlekeep, I would think you would want to go to the evil HQ and see if Sarevok went back there after candlekeep. there's no reason to stop at the baldur's gate city entrance map when you are coming back you can just go to any section of the city.

You don't need Tamoko to tell you to go to Iron Throne you can just meet Sarevok's new girl there and skip Tammy entirely.

• ElectricMonkElectricMonk Member Posts: 599
    @Kore Good point, it is pretty easy to miss, I like the idea of being waylaid either upon leaving candlekeep area or upon traveling to Baldur's Gate as @Drugar suggested (I think I prefer the latter).
    Being waylaid on your way into The Gate sounds good to me. Both are plausible from a story PoV, so I'm ambivalent about the difference.