Skip to content

New Intro Video (my attempt to rework it!)

modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 108
Edit: the video is available for download now. To get it, click the link below.

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1030-updated-enhanced-edition-intro/

The final version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXG5rcbAoRo

(Note that my internet connection got weird and I accidentally uploaded it 3 times over on spellhold - I let them know so they're probably just getting around to deleting the other 2 versions. All will work, but this will hopefully be the stable link.)

Edit: new version of the video about 12 posts down. Keeping the old one here just as a reference.

Hi all,

First things first: After the initial shock wore off, the new videos have grown on me quite a bit. I like them. However, I felt the intro video was really missing something without the Nietzsche quote and the "... there are others ... " line. I love that Overhaul added those back in. However, I still feel like the video lacks a certain ... je ne sais quoi. I'll repeat: I love the way Overhaul has responded to its customers. Just awesome. I wasn't hit by the first round of bugs some customers had, but I love how Overhaul responded.

Second point: So I mentioned that I think the new intro video could be better. As I lurk here, I see where others have said the same thing. I had a free morning today, so I figured I would open up my video editing software and see what I could do with the content available online (I had to download the source video from Overhaul's YouTube page and the source audio from one of the YouTube videos of the original intro). The result can be seen here:

The original:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JgmDf0yU4s

If you like it: fantastic!
If you do not like: oh well!
If you represent Overhaul and I need to immediately delete this: will do!
If you represent Overhaul and you love it: use it? Contact me!
If this has been done already: well, shoot!

Feel free to leave any feedback below or on the video page. If I'm within copyright limits to repurpose this video, I may find more time to work on it and tweak it using the assets available. If anyone has the art assets (i.e. the still images the animations are based on), let me know and I may try to rework the video using those. That would be awesome.
Post edited by modestvolta on

Comments

• agrisagris Member Posts: 581
    @modestvolta I like it! I think the timing of spoken dialogue, the quote, and proportion the quote occupies of the screen is better than the v2011 version. My only point of critique is the 'black out' at 0:46 - 0:47. Was that introduced to make the new dialogue line feel less cramped? If so, you could slow down the 'zoom in' at 0:44 and the 'hand grab' at 0:47 enough to make the black screen unnecessary. That, or apply a soft, fast fade in/out on the blackness.
  • TiaxRulesAllTiaxRulesAll Member Posts: 198
    sounds better to me
  • modestvoltamodestvolta Member Posts: 108
    @agris re the black out: I played around with slowing down the scenes around that to eliminate it, but once I watched it in full, I really liked the cut to black. (To me at least) it adds a sense of mystery - "what's about to happen?!"

But I totally get why one would not like it or feel it was missing something. (Maybe there will be new art that could fit in there? I'm not sure.)
  • VnavekulVnavekul Member Posts: 181
    WAY better. Nice job.
  • DarkDoggDarkDogg Member Posts: 598
    Yes, the missing part is important to the atmosphere IMO.

But still the new cinematics = crap.
    Some slideshow from the early 70's
    maybe try some sort of softening effect for the black cut tho, so it isn't so harsh?
    Now I feel like a dummy: at work we use Vimeo, but I decided to host this on YouTube. Is there a way to replace a video on YouTube or will I need to reupload? (d'oh!)
  • MessiMessi Member Posts: 738
    Way better job than Overhaul OP. That's how it should have been done. I really like BGEE overall but the movies are just feel like amateur hour, something which you fixing this so fast kinda proves. Hope they aren't above accepting help from people like you.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    The repetition of the low-shot is noticeable (not in a good way), but the sound syncs up nicely.

Personally I wish they had time to do some fully rendered 3D action, but I'm glad they're spending time on bug fixes instead.
    @Aosaw I agree that the low-shot isn't used perfectly both times, but without more art I didn't have too many options (not a complaint about your critique, just a "that's how it is" statement; I may have time later to try another idea I had after rendering for that part).

And I agree that a reworked video is a luxury compared to bug fixes, but if they are open to re-tweaks, this is the path I'd suggest. And getting more art! Thanks for the feedback!
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    I like all of the improvements that you made. It feels more polished than the original and the timing is much better. It's still crap, but that's due to the animations themselves.

Honestly I think the original movies are fine. When I used GemRB on my iPad the cinematics looked fine. They're well animated and atmospheric even if a little fuzzy. There was no reason for Overhaul to change the movies, especially if they aren't following the original style, and they movies should be included in BG: EE, even if completely optional.

Good work though.
  • NukeninNukenin Member Posts: 327
    Actual criticism: the Nietzsche quote is better formatted in Overhaul's version which reflects the formatting in the original introduction (element for element). Also, both Overhaul's and the original introduction present the quote in a different font and/or style than the Nietzsche attribution (the attribution is italicized in the original, and more oblique in the Overhaul rendition, in both cases distinct from the appearance of text in the quote proper).

• SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,580

@Aosaw I agree that the low-shot isn't used perfectly both times, but without more art I didn't have too many options ...

Perhaps you can use the close-up-of-the-eye shot again for the "There are others..." line, rather than the shot of his face? My only complaint is that we see a still shot of his blank, motionless face while he's begging for his life. Otherwise, it would be near-perfect IMO.

As is, it's still a HUGE improvement over Beamdog's "redone" version IMO, which seems like it was just hastily tossed together as a "Here, take that!" gesture to nagging posters.

If single poster here can get it right (or come damn near close, at least), why can't they??
    Baldur's Gate (Original):
    He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you… - Friedrich Nietzsche

Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition (revised intro):
    He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster… when you gaze long into the abyss the abyss also gazes into you… - Friedrich Nietzsche

I find either version a bit more pleasing to the eye; perhaps I'm just used to tracking the quote as laid out. Just my two electrum bits. :D
  • marfigmarfig Member Posts: 208
    To me its perfect. And an embarrassment to Overhaul, I must add. Congratulations :)
    Hope they fix the video to this standard.
    @modestvolta (any relation to mars?) I like the new version even more! I see you 'softened' the black cut :)

My only comment is in the same vein as @Nukenin- while I prefer the carriage returns the way they are in the original intro, it isn't a big deal. And neither is my other point, but I think the quote being non-italicized looks better (it is in quotes, after all), while keeping Nietzsche's name in italics is a nice touch.

Either way, kudos! Any plans to release this?
    My intent is definitely not to embarrass anyone - I appreciate the kind words (towards me), but I just want to make sure my actions aren't misconstrued as an attempt to one-up anyone.

Thanks!
    Scary thing is "ThereareothersIcanshowyouplease!!!" might grow on me.

Fortunately, I usually watch the intro with the mouse button after the first time, so usually the Nietzsche quote is all I get unless I'm a bit slow on the clickety.

I think reworking the intro video to your satisfaction is a fun and productive exercise and I appreciate you sharing your efforts with the rest of us. Hopefully nobody's put out by it. :D
    @agris ha, no. Just an old internet name I started using way back that is rarely taken (but apparently someone on google beat me to it as I found out today...)

I may play around with the quote more (still standing firm on my formatting! :) ), but I'll look at different fonts. I don't usually use serif fonts, and a sans-serif definitely does not work here. When I have time I'll go through a few font options. And maybe I'll add the quotation marks back - you guys are demanding!

Once it's on the internet isn't it technically released? ;) (As I do not own the content of this video I'm hesitant to provide it as a download if that's what you're referring to - does anyone know Overhaul's stance on this?)
    Well, you would be releasing it under fair use as a 'remix' and I think Overhaul is pretty lax on this, as they've been linking to the weidu mod that restores all old or unused movie slots- items that are, by all account, still under copyright by WotC.
  • Ulfgar_TorunnUlfgar_Torunn Member Posts: 169
    @modestvolta:

Absolutely incredible, I sincerely hope that Overhaul incorporates your version in the next patch. Now... if we can just fix the pool of blood...
    Ah, the blood. You'd think the folks at Overhaul have never tossed a hapless guard off a rooftop to the cobblestones below before.

*whistles innocently*
  • VitorVitor Member Posts: 288
    How I can put this video on my game?

The latest and greatest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YkYPF6NtjMw

@SharGuidesMyHand At first I was hesitant to reuse the eye clip, but after trying it, I actually like it - thanks for the suggestion! Now if only I didn't have to rely on slowing the eye down so much that it barely moves. The original video zooms in on the eye, so I can't simply repeat the clip for the duration of the line.

Brilliant!!!!!! Absolutely perfect!! (even if the eye is slowed down slightly the second time). And I think the "black-out" technique works even better here.
    edited December 2012
    marfig said:

Hope they fix the video to this standard.

"Fix it"? They should just incorporate THIS version into the game, as far as I'm concerned.

In fact, maybe we should petition Beamdog to do just that...
  • faceless1963faceless1963 Member Posts: 143
    i hope they do not. i hope they do the only thing satisfying - restore the original. the new cutscenes u such annoying
    I guess before I even think about uploading the video anywhere, I need to know how to export to the .wbm video format used for BG:EE. Googling wasn't too helpful, but I'm sure there's a post somewhere around here I missed, so if anyone can link me there I'd appreciate it.

Or will BG:EE recognize any video format with the proper name before the extension?

Note: it'll be a few days before I have enough time to make last tweaks to the quote. You know the old saying: if a thing's worth doing, it's worth doing right.