Skip to content

Creating a basic fighter kit mod?

NiklasWBNiklasWB Member Posts: 15
Hello,

I've just recently bought BG:EE and I'm really excited to start my first character. I have played through Baldur's Gate 2 maybe three times in the past but I never managed to get beyond the chapter 1 in the original Baldur's Gate game. Not sure why I never finished it, but I'm ready to do so with the new Enhanced edition.

In Baldur's Gate 2 I played a vanilla fighter once, a chevalier paladin once and a swashbuckler thief once. I enjoyed them all about equally, but I always felt that that the fighter was a bit boring, as in 'not special', since he wasn't kitted. I did try a Wizard slayer fighter once, since I love the concept, but the restrictions of not being able to use magic items other than weapons and armor was just too severe. Sure, it was playable, but in the end I didn't feel like my PC was pulling his own, instead Minsc and Keldorn were the ones dishing out the melee damage and soaking up the damage.

So, I was now hoping to make a fighter in the Enhanced edition, but I don't want to make a vanilla fighter. The concept of the Berserker or the Kensai really don't interest me either.

My only other option therefore comes down to building and modding my own kit.

So, my question is this: Would it be possible to make a kit similar to this?

----------------------------------------------------

GUARDIAN

The guardian is a fighter that has devoted himself to defending others from harm, standing on the frontlines of battle and throwing himself in harm's way. Stalwart and sturdy, the guardian stands as a wall between his allies and the enemy.

Advantages:
Bonus +1 to AC.
Another +1 to AC for every 5 levels.

Disadvantages:
May not use missile weapons.

It might be bit overpowered, so I would welcome any suggestions as to how to give it some other restrictions. Maybe allow it to only use 'one handed weapons and shield-combo'. Take away the ability to dual-wield and use two-handed weapons.

Either way, would it be possible to create a fighter kit like this? What programs would I need to do this and are there any good tutorials on how to make a basic fighter kit? I'm fairly new to modding, but I would really like to learn and have the option to create new and fun kits.

Comments

• LaughingManLaughingMan Member Posts: 65
    That would be easy, though to be honest it isn't much more interesting than the base fighter and is WAY more powerful. Especially in BG1/EE. I'm working on a kit right now for most of the core classes, here's where my current thoughts for the fighter are at the moment:

Reaper

Advantages:

Fog of War - 1/day, one additional use every 4 levels. Invoking the madness and confusion of the battlefield, the Reaper unleashes a small storm of dirt, mud, blood, and rock at his enemies. This can blind, impair, and prevent any sort of invisibility if the targets fail their save.

Marked for Death - Once per day every 5 levels. Calling on their connection to the portfolio of death and murder, the reaper marks their target for death, stripping them of their defenses and protections. Most magical protections and immunities are stripped or temporarily suppressed.

Disadvantages:

Presence of Death - The reaper carries their connection to the dead god of murder openly, leaving those around them ill at ease. -2 CHA.

This is very much a work in progress at the moment, however, I haven't settled on anything final here. Thoughts?

This for a set that is all in the same theme as my first kit mod:

http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1023-cleric-class-kit-scion-of-murder/
  • gokkegokke Member Posts: 46
    Would be Fitting with Weapon restrictions mby 3 slots/4slots weapons it can use
  • NiklasWBNiklasWB Member Posts: 15
    I think the Reaper one you suggested would be a cool addition. Kind of sounds like Sarevok and his 'lore-kit'; the 'Deathbringer'. I agree that the Guardian I had suggested isn't very interesting in the suggested form, but that was mainly because I was thinking about creating the kit myself. And since I'm a noob when it comes to modding the infinity engine I was trying to keep things as simple as possible.

If someone more talented at modding than me would tackle the Guardian kit I could give some more elaborate ideas. Make the Guardian unable to put points in two-handed style or two weapons style. Make them unable to use missile weapons. Only apply the first +1 to AC and the gained + to AC when the character is wielding a shield in his off-hand. Give them a one time passive bonus to slashing, piercing and blunt attacks. Also, perhaps one could give them a ability that helps them 'guard' other characters, significantly raising that character's defence/AC/saves but lowering the Guardian's damange a bit when the ability is used. Basically, niche the Guardian toward a shield-using defender.

I really feel that the figher needs a defensive counter-point to the Berserker and the Kensai. And 'Guardian' seems like a fitting and not to specific name to apply to such a class. I've always been more fond of the less specific kit-names as opposed to the more specific ones. I mean, Archer and Assassin are pretty generic, and I like that, as opposed to Kensai (or even more the common name Sword saint) which sounds too specific.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited December 2012
    I liked the Dwarven Defender in NWN, and don't see why he couldn't be retrofitted to 2E. Obviously no dual classing if restricted to dwarf.

D12 hit points (like barbarian)

Defensive stance
    +2 enhancement bonus to Strength and +4 to Constitution, 4 points bonus to AC, 2 point bonus to saves. A 1st-level dwarven defender can use this ability once per day. They gain an additional use every two levels beyond 1st. They are rooted in place (ala defensive spin)

Damage Reduction
    At 6th level, the dwarven defender gains absorbs the first 3 points of damage. This increases to the first 6 points at 10th level

I'd also like to see Dwarven barbarian's called Battleragers while mentioning the topic. Doesn't have to do anything different than standard barbarian.

maybe there's more stuff for ideas to be found in NWN series: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Class
    The problem with prestige-classes such as the Dwarven Defender is that they usually only give advantages, and no draw-backs. I want to create a kit that is an alternative tot the vanilla fighter, but doesn't render it completely obsolete.
    NiklasWB said:

The problem with prestige-classes such as the Dwarven Defender is that they usually only give advantages, and no draw-backs. I want to create a kit that is an alternative tot the vanilla fighter, but doesn't render it completely obsolete.

No dual and multi is a draw-back.

The cleric kits in vanilla don't have drawbacks (nor some of the paladin kits). Berserker drawback is no ranged weapons not too big a deal. Assassin's drawback is less skill points per level and the fact that they don't gain power until later.

To convert some prestige classes to 2e obviously you lose the base class requirements and make them kits.

Dwarven Defender
    req: Dwarf <- draw back / limitation right there

compared to a straight dwarf fighter yes there wouldn't be drawbacks. You could add them drawbacks like no missile weapons or limit weapon specialization (like the barbarian's drawbacks)

Yeah, no dual- or multi-classing is a drawback. But then again I was thinking that the kit should be open to all races. Never cared for playing dwarves, so I'd rather create a kit that can be used by all races.
    Sure I was just showing you a place you could get inspiration from. Not literally transcode into BG.

http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Class
    Yeah dude, thanks. I hope I didn't come off as rude or anything. I wrote that last reply when I was very tired and just a little bit on the grumpy side. ;)

But yeah, some of the Neverwinter Nights 2 prestige classes would work well in BG, but would probably have to be tweaked somewhat to be more balanced. One class I'd really like to see is the Duelist, but then I feel that it might be too similar to Swashbuckler or the Kensai, depending on whether you make it a thief or a fighter.

I'd still very much like to create a shield-wielding defensive fighter-kit though. I have no idea where to begin when it comes to modding though, so perhaps someone could direct me to a tutorial, or maybe even create a turorial video of how to make a figher kit, step by step. I'm sure alot of people would appreciate such a video.