Skip to content

9 kits limitation per classes ... seriously ?

neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
Ok so doesn't Tobex could allow more than 9 kits per classes at one point ? I remember having a lot of kits back then with BGT ...

Apparently Beamdog didn't take in consideration this limitation wich is very annoying considering the trillion of possibilities for Kits...

Well I hope some mods or an update will fix this...

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    edited December 2012
    The only ones who can lift the trice-cursed limitation is Overhaul, otherwise the community would've done it a decade ago. Luckily the Mod Kit Remover exists. For me it's an unreplaceable long-time Baldur's Gate II/Tutu necessarity.
  • LaughingManLaughingMan Member Posts: 65
    I would also point out that you can have as many kits as you want, the limit only applies to how many are visible during character creation. You can still add kits beyond that limit and apply them to a character via the console, IIRC.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    They didn't import ToBex? Wut?
  • neoespritneoesprit Member Posts: 196
    Dazzu said:

apparently not all the Tobex features. A shame really =/
  • gokkegokke Member Posts: 46
    but this is the MOST important feature from the tobex :D i want 10000 different kits to choose from ^_^
  • DarkcloudDarkcloud Member Posts: 302
    Dazzu said:

Well simply importing everything would have been a bad choice because ToBex is quite a hackjob that makes the game quite unstable. Because of that you only should launch the game through ToBex for character creation in most cases but I really hoped they would do more in the regard to unhardcode stuff like that. Especially allowing completely new classes would have been nice.
  • DazzuDazzu Member Posts: 950
    For an 'enhanced edition' I don't seem to notice too many 'enhancements.'
    Dazzu said:

For an 'enhanced edition' I don't seem to notice too many 'enhancements.'

Yup I'm still searching what's enhanced apart the 3 pc and the black pit thing...

• horredtheplaguehorredtheplague Member, Developer Posts: 186
    Hate to make it sound worse, but the only thing that TobEx did was add a scrolling function to the GUI. It's not the engine (or at least wasn't in BG2--???)--you always could have > 9 kits per class, just not at character selection. You had to add them in through a custom player script like:
    IF
    Global("Add_My_Fav_Kit#438_Now","LOCALS",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("Add_My_Fav_Kit#438_Now","LOCALS",1)
    AddKit([KIT.IDS_name_of_my_kit])
    END
    This trick also works for NPC party members, btw...an easy way to get custom kits for your favorite crew. Even if you editted the GAM file to add the kits in e.g. Shadowkeeper, the above was the only automatic way to get their kit abilities retroactively from level 1.

Hate to make it sound worse, but the only thing that TobEx did was add a scrolling function to the GUI. It's not the engine (or at least wasn't in BG2--???)--you always could have > 9 kits per class, just not at character selection. You had to add them in through a custom player script like:

IF
    Global("Add_My_Fav_Kit#438_Now","LOCALS",0)
    THEN
    RESPONSE #100
    SetGlobal("Add_My_Fav_Kit#438_Now","LOCALS",1)
    AddKit([KIT.IDS_name_of_my_kit])
    END
    This trick also works for NPC party members, btw...an easy way to get custom kits for your favorite crew. Even if you editted the GAM file to add the kits in e.g. Shadowkeeper, the above was the only automatic way to get their kit abilities retroactively from level 1.

I remember being able to scroll among more than 9 kits per classes back then but maybe I'm wrong and my memory's screwed =/

And with shadowkeeper you can always set the NPC level to 0 leave his hp to 1 and keep his current xp so that when you load your game you can level it up from scratch (and he obtains all the abilities) Only trick is to find the code corresponding to the kit you want him to use... Using weidu to change the NPC kits also works once you understand how that works...

Anyway you can have like 15 clerics kits installed if you want but only nine will appear on the character selection... AND that's a shame =/

I don't understand the point of making an EE, if it's to leave the community with the same restrictions as before =(
  • leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    I really hope Overhaul update IE for BG2EE... possibly using IE for IWD2...

BG2 codes are kinda... messy. Too much restriction but Overhaul has got to work with what they've got.
    I will not get my hopes to high for that... Not only they're restricted by the Infinity Engine itself (which could not be updated as some of the source code was "lost" apparently - correct me if I'm wrong) but also in what they are allowed to change in the game (as explained somewhere with details about the contract that tie Overhaul on almost everything)

• leeho730leeho730 Member Posts: 285
    The good thing is that.... the only reason there can be only 9 kits is not because IE cannot handle it but the game UI only allows display of 9 kits. So if somehow Overhaul can increase the size of the kit selection window it might be possible to have more than 9 kits...
    leeho730 said:

The good thing is that.... the only reason there can be only 9 kits is not because IE cannot handle it but the game UI only allows display of 9 kits. So if somehow Overhaul can increase the size of the kit selection window it might be possible to have more than 9 kits...

yep, and I'm still wondering why they wouldn't do that in the first place ^^

Maybe someone should ask Trent on Twitter =p

• IchigoRXCIchigoRXC Member Posts: 1,001
    neoesprit said:

yep, and I'm still wondering why they wouldn't do that in the first place ^^

Maybe someone should ask Trent on Twitter =p

I did, but alas I did not get a reply :P seems you and I had the same idea.
    Let's hope we'll be heard ^^
  • AsthnerAsthner Member Posts: 83
    If you really want to be heard by the devs, this: @TrentOster – is how you do it.
    I really thought too that they implemented that feature of ToBEx… Seemed simple enough to do.
  • billbiscobillbisco Member Posts: 361
  • GrammarsaladGrammarsalad Member Posts: 2,582
    I have a feeling...

In any case, there are ways around it.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.